Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

laptops on a whv

laptops on a whv

Old Sep 3rd 2003, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default laptops on a whv

Thinking of buying here in the uk and taking a laptop to oz with me on my working holiday visa next year is this wise?

I know there is plenty of internet cafes etc and i might be in some hostels during my time there but not always i will be staying with relatives for some of the time and could leave items there if wanted and i thought using and traveling with my own laptop would be handy and use a webcam to keep in touch at home etc.

Has anyone else taken there laptop over to oz on a working holiday visa and can they tell me what they thought about taking it or recommend.

I am thinking of getting one and not sure if to take it with me or leave it at home.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless you're planning on using it for business I wouldn't bother. I sold my laptop to get spare cash for my trip. Use the money for having a great time. Laptops are heavy, breakable, and easy to steal - ie not good for travelling.

Nara
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally posted by Nara
Unless you're planning on using it for business I wouldn't bother. I sold my laptop to get spare cash for my trip. Use the money for having a great time. Laptops are heavy, breakable, and easy to steal - ie not good for travelling.

Nara
I get your point but i like surfing the net and checking my fav sites and using banking to check on stuff.

using internet cafes would this be wise?

also great for emails,webcam etc. yes i know again i can use internet cafes and yes i know its a risk in it being stolen but i think it would be usefull.

i do have family members there that i can leave stuff with and then travel without it but whats the point in that.

it does scare me getting it broken but it can get broken anywhere and again could be high risk in being stolen which is something that also scares me
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:13 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by brian.w
I get your point but i like surfing the net and checking my fav sites and using banking to check on stuff.

also great for emails,webcam etc. yes i know again i can use internet cafes and yes i know its a risk in it being stolen but i think it would be usefull.

i do have family members there that i can leave stuff with and then travel without it but whats the point in that.

it does scare me getting it broken but it can get broken anywhere and again could be high risk in being stolen which is something that also scares me
Wireless PDA?
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends on what sort of travelling you will be doing on your whv. Most people backpack and don't want the additional weight and bulk of a computer, especially if it's only for recreational use, and an internet cafe would do the job.

I'm no expert on internet security, but I'd guess that you're at just as much risk banking online in a cyber cafe as you would be on a laptop.

Also, where are you planning on connecting? I'm pretty sure you won't find any hostels with ports in the room. It would cost heaps to surf using a mobile.

I wouldn't bother. But of course it's up to you.

Nara
Old Sep 4th 2003, 4:14 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't bother. If you're like most backpackers you'll be bunking in a dorm with 5 others on AUD18 a night and one of those mongrels is sure to pinch your laptop to sell for a couple more stubbies.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

darkstone1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

there are loads if internet cafe's around even in the small towns, so you can always get access to the internet if you need.

Okay I have a laptop with me and I am currently out here on a whv but I wouldn't take it anywhere with me unless I know its secure,( happening to be staying with friends so all nice and secure and safe)
and as others point out if your going to do it backpacking style you'll probably be in rooms with more than one person.

lets look at it another way people at my work place would nick mobiles and they would often be locked away, so just think how much more tempting a laptop would be to someone... Would you trust someone you don't know not to nick it?

also there are very few places that you could hook up your laptop anyway so you would need a place with a phone line and there isn't much in the way of pay as you go internet packages so you would have to sign up for more substantial ones that are linked to one place.

Finally the thing with the banking stuff as long as internet cafes have the latest browsers you should be fine,
just a bit of advice when leaving make sure that you log out of applications the correct way and that you clear internet cahe and history before you leave the pc. if you don't know how ask someone that does... i,e actually show you..
Old Sep 4th 2003, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough
Default Re: laptops on a whv

When we came out here on a 'fact finding' holiday back in 2001 we brought our laptop along. It was worth it, we were doing webcam/email back to the uk, sending pictures back (digital camera) downloading all our pics onto it every night etc. Done all our banking, research etc. Well worth it. For our service provider we got an Aussie pay as you go type one, not sure if they are still around though. but I suppose it does depend on how much you think you will use it. My husband works in IT and lives and breaths computers all the time so he couldn't do without it!

Mandy

Thinking of buying here in the uk and taking a laptop to oz with me on my working holiday visa next year is this wise?

I know there is plenty of internet cafes etc and i might be in some hostels during my time there but not always i will be staying with relatives for some of the time and could leave items there if wanted and i thought using and traveling with my own laptop would be handy and use a webcam to keep in touch at home etc.

Has anyone else taken there laptop over to oz on a working holiday visa and can they tell me what they thought about taking it or recommend.

I am thinking of getting one and not sure if to take it with me or leave it at home.