laptops for NZ

Old Jun 12th 2003, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default laptops for NZ

I know there have been a few threads regarding taking Laptops with you until your computer arrives or you buy new, but still unsure whether to purchase one or not........

We have seen a deal here for a Soprano 2.4ghz laptop 30gb,256mb,pentium 4 for £830 inc vat.

So all you techie type peeps does this seem like a good deal?
Any other suggestions?
What about customs?

Not much time to make our minds up off in less than 5 week!!

Thanks Tori
Old Jun 12th 2003, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Check if the retailer participates in the VAT refund scheme....if they do, ask them for a VAT refund form & get it stamped by them when you buy it. When you leave the country you'll get 17.5% VAT back at the airport (minus small admin fee) as you're exporting it.

You're *supposed* to declare it to customs on arrival, and pay 12.5% GST (as you haven't owned it for 12 months for it to be exempt). For gods sake dont bring it over in the box...if customs see a brand spanking new laptop box on the front of yer luggage trolley it's pretty likely you'll get pulled to one side for the old rubber glove treatment just put it in a rucksack & try and look like a backpacker and you'll be fine lol.

Spec/price sounds ok...have u asked what happens warranty wise if it goes pear shaped when you're in NZ?

russ
Old Jun 12th 2003, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely a good price for the spec although if I was buying a new laptop I'd be tempted to go for one based on the new Intel Centrino technology.

The only other thing to bear in mind is that, depending on which country you're coming from, the keyboard layout of a locally purchased laptop may be slightly different from one bought overseas, e.g., no pound or Euro keys, and the " and @ keys reversed, etc. Of course this is probably not a big deal!

Ben
Old Jun 12th 2003, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks for all your help guys off to buy my new "toy" tomorrow!!
Tori
Old Jun 12th 2003, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I've never heard of a Soprano and checking the net it seems to be an obscure company that produce it. No problem if you are staying in the UK cos if anything goes wrong you just take it back to the supplier.

What happens if something goes wrong down here, what happens if you want to upgrade, memory, Hdd because generally for laptops you have to go back to the supplier.

Either buy in the Uk a brand that is supported worldwide (Compaq or Toshiba come to mind) or wait untill you get here and buy. But it's your call
Old Jun 13th 2003, 12:56 am
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: laptops for NZ

Originally posted by TIZUS
I know there have been a few threads regarding taking Laptops with you until your computer arrives or you buy new, but still unsure whether to purchase one or not........

We have seen a deal here for a Soprano 2.4ghz laptop 30gb,256mb,pentium 4 for £830 inc vat.

So all you techie type peeps does this seem like a good deal?
Any other suggestions?
What about customs?

Not much time to make our minds up off in less than 5 week!!

Thanks Tori
Buy a 2nd hand one from EBAY, it 's not new then & you could bag a bargain, this one that I'm using was 10 mnths old 1.1 GHZ 256M 20G HD, DVD, turbo nutter-blaster, etc.Toshiba Satellite for 400 quid!
Old Jun 13th 2003, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

ok so bought new toy!! thanks for all the advice now all a need is suggestions for an ISP here for a month or so and of course an ISP in NZ any ideas?

Thanks again
Tori
Old Jun 13th 2003, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by TIZUS
ok so bought new toy!! thanks for all the advice now all a need is suggestions for an ISP here for a month or so and of course an ISP in NZ any ideas?

Thanks again
Tori
go for an aol or freeserve free month trial

http://www.aol.co.uk/try/

http://www.freeserve.com/time/anytim..._anytime_new_7

Good luck

Terry