Laptops - LA

Old Apr 25th 2004, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

maco is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Laptops - LA

Hi,
We are going to stop in LA for 1 night on our way to Aus.
We want to buy a laptop while we're there (weak $!)
Has anyone any ideas as to where we can get one in LA, our web searches have proved pretty futile! We have only found on-line shops, but we need somewhere we can walk into to pick it up.
We're looking for a pretty high spec model, any opinions or recommendations on what is good?
Also, how do you claim the tax back when we leave the US?

Cheers
Old Apr 25th 2004, 5:30 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Laptops - LA

Try the big chain stores such as Best Buy, CompUSA and Circuit City. They're usually the cheapest (watch out for rebate prices - you won't qualify if you don't have a US mailing address). All of these shops also have online stores, so you should be able to get an idea of prices before you go (I think that you may even be able to order your laptop on the internet & pick it up in a store).

One thing to watch out for is the warranty - it may only be valid stateside. Compaq computers do come with a worldwide warranty (despite what they may tell you in the store!).

I don't think you will be able to claim any tax back (although I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Hope this helps!

Sara.
Old Apr 25th 2004, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

maco is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Sara,
I'll check those out!

Old Apr 25th 2004, 9:38 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure you get an international warranty and that the power supply works on 240 V 50 Hz not just the American 110V 60 Hz.

I advise an international brand that has parts available internationally and I also advise a 3 years parts warranty. Some laptop parts can cost as much as the whole laptop to replace.

If I remember rightly the US GST/VAT equivalent is the local sales tax.

I would pop in the US forum for some more accurate info.

Finally unless you need portable computing go for a desktop. The parts are cheap and easily replaced and you get more power per $. I know too many people who have bought a laptop that sits at home as though it were a desktop.