Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Laptops - To Buy Or Not To Buy?

Laptops - To Buy Or Not To Buy?

Old Nov 11th 2006, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

snowball is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Laptops - To Buy Or Not To Buy?

Hi, can someone offer some advice please. My pc is ancient, so have been thinking about investing in a laptop, before we leave for Melbourne in January. Here in the Uk, starting prices are roughly £400.00 :scared: I have been thinking that if I have any problems with it, my warrantly won't be of any use to me over in Australia. How much, roughtly, are basic laptops over there? Any advice much appreciated. Cheers
Old Nov 11th 2006, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laptops - To Buy Or Not To Buy?

Originally Posted by snowball
Hi, can someone offer some advice please. My pc is ancient, so have been thinking about investing in a laptop, before we leave for Melbourne in January. Here in the Uk, starting prices are roughly £400.00 :scared: I have been thinking that if I have any problems with it, my warrantly won't be of any use to me over in Australia. How much, roughtly, are basic laptops over there? Any advice much appreciated. Cheers
I'm pretty sure that prices of laptops in Oz are roughly the same as the UK so to be on the safe side I would wait until you get out there and then buy one from Oz, at least then if you have any probs with it you can take it back etc.

I plan to buy one not too long after getting there.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Buy it in Australia. The prices are the same, the power cords fit the sockets, and if your employer is happy to do it, you can buy it out of pre-tax salary (limited to 1 laptop per year).

Old Nov 11th 2006, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

Remember they aren't the most reliable item you could buy, so warranty is important.
Bought one 3 weeks age (in Aus) which has a fault.
HP said return for repair or take it back to store.
Took it back, store will swap for another no problem.
Bit more difficult if the store was in UK.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

My advice based on personal experience is wait until you get here. I sold my pc and bought a laptop 3 months before leaving for Oz. It is now kicking up big time - probably hard drive failure and I wish I had taken a colleague's offer to buy it before I left up. If I had sold it and bought here I would be able to go back to the shop. I don't even think I have the receipt and try dealing with a shop in the UK from here. Even if it costs a little bit more here at least you will have the peace of mind of taking it back should it all go pearshaped.

Sue
Old Nov 12th 2006, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Prices start at circa 799 Aud, for a 15 inch screen... 40 gig HD, 1.8 gig processor... DVD Writer/Reader etc, Wireless card.

Check out at www.msy.com.au
Old Nov 12th 2006, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

I have both UK and Australian laptops. The only advantage I have with the UK one is that it has a £ sign as well as a $ sign. If that bothered you enough you could buy a £10 British USB keyboard before you left. That lets you sit the laptop up at eye-level for better posture.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 1:54 am
Tiny Member

tucs is on a distinguished road

why not buy one on the way over?
where are you stopping off? might save a few bob on the duty free
Old Nov 12th 2006, 2:29 am

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add to this, we bought our laptop in the UK from PC world, got a 3 year warrenty on it that actually does work in Australia....

We had to use it just recently actually and it all went pretty smoothly to be honest.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:33 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

dell will give WW warranty

go on dell.co.uk and dell.com.au and compare like for like pricing then you can decide.

but - if you can buy in Aus and use the tax thing with your employer its instantly worth 20-30% for you because you pay for it out of your pre-ta salary not your post-tax salary as you would if you bought for cash.

but if buying one now is important - then Dell with global warranty is probably ok. THeir support isnt the best in the world (indian call centre stuff) but their products are pretty solid and safe.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 4:43 am
Tiny Member

tucs is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by spalen
dell will give WW warranty

go on dell.co.uk and dell.com.au and compare like for like pricing then you can decide.

but - if you can buy in Aus and use the tax thing with your employer its instantly worth 20-30% for you because you pay for it out of your pre-ta salary not your post-tax salary as you would if you bought for cash.

but if buying one now is important - then Dell with global warranty is probably ok. THeir support isnt the best in the world (indian call centre stuff) but their products are pretty solid and safe.

agree with the indian call centre bit. A disaster to say the least.
world wide warrenty was very expensive if i remember though.
I think dell is very cheap and generally good quality
Old Nov 12th 2006, 6:49 am
Just Joined

snowball is an unknown quantity at this point

A big thank you to everyone who took the time to reply - a great help. Have decided to wait until we get to Oz before I buy one.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:14 am
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tucs
agree with the indian call centre bit. A disaster to say the least.
world wide warrenty was very expensive if i remember though.
I think dell is very cheap and generally good quality
I've been one of the unlucky ones who's Dell laptop has gone wrong a few times (in the UK) and I have to say the support has been fantastic. I have got an extended 3 year warranty and both times it went wrong they were at my house the next day - pretty good service. Haven't had any problems since I've been in Oz and hopefully I wont need it again!

Martyn
Old Nov 12th 2006, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen

Wow, I feel a business idea coming on

You just need to justify buying shed loads of laptops to your employer, and then sell them on ebay. 30% profit right there.

(I expect 10% of the profits if you use this scheme )

JTL
Old Nov 12th 2006, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=snowball]A big thank you to everyone who took the time to reply - a great help. Have decided to wait until we get to Oz before I buy one.

I built my own PC - I should say I'm no expert, but thankfully my brother-in-law is. !!
Laptops are all very well, size wise 'n' all, but a nightmare to repair/service. personally, I would never buy from a PC world type outfit - my advice would be to visit one of the independent PC shops there "must" be in whichever city/town you are moving to, in Oz. Get it built by them to your spec (they will advise). Then if anything goes wrong, you can take it back (or usually they will visit). As the PC expert usually owns the shop, he is more likely to know the product inside out, compared to a PC world assistant (no disrespect to any who are reading this!). Also it will be no more expensive (usually cheaper) than a high street brand. Obviously a computer savvy friend is a great asset.
I find laptops to be too slow, even the best performing ones.
However, I can't use my own PC for MSN when I'm travelling !!!

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.