laptops

Old Apr 22nd 2006, 6:54 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute
Default laptops

Hiya, serious one now, has any of you recently arrived folks taken your laptop as hand luggage and what are the restrictions now with hand luggage. We would like to take our laptop but its a big bugger at 17" and heavy, although the weight is not a prob for me, id rather carry it through than pack it.

Thanks.

Nev.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 7:31 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: laptops

Originally Posted by redlion
Hiya, serious one now, has any of you recently arrived folks taken your laptop as hand luggage and what are the restrictions now with hand luggage. We would like to take our laptop but its a big bugger at 17" and heavy, although the weight is not a prob for me, id rather carry it through than pack it.

Thanks.

Nev.
Hi Nev,

what you can take as "hand luggage" varies from airline to airline. It also depends on whether you fly cattle class, business class or first class. Go to your airline's website and have a look what they allow.

Gina
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 7:38 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Hi Nev,

what you can take as "hand luggage" varies from airline to airline. It also depends on whether you fly cattle class, business class or first class. Go to your airline's website and have a look what they allow.

Gina

Thanks Gina, not quite at that stage yet, just doing my research early lol

Nev.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy-G will become famous soon enoughSammy-G will become famous soon enough

Thanks.

Nev.
Hi, I've taken my laptop to oz on several occassions on Thai airways, Singapore and also Qantas if my memory serves me correct - tho its been a couple of years since i last took it. Its a bit of a pain as you have to remove it from your hand luggage to put it through the x-ray machines, and also have to remove the battery and put it through separately to the actual laptop. Would always rather take it with me that way tho.

Sammy
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 7:47 pm
redlion

Originally Posted by Sammy-G
Hi, I've taken my laptop to oz on several occassions on Thai airways, Singapore and also Qantas if my memory serves me correct - tho its been a couple of years since i last took it. Its a bit of a pain as you have to remove it from your hand luggage to put it through the x-ray machines, and also have to remove the battery and put it through separately to the actual laptop. Would always rather take it with me that way tho.

Sammy

Thanks.

Nev.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.

Nev.
Yeah check with the airline what your hand luggage allowance is and bring it on as your "Hand Luggage".

We went to WH Smiths and bought a laptop bag that looks like a backpack (but its extra padded) then you can put it on your back whilst your wheeling your other luggage. Also it doesn't "look" like a laptop thus deterrin laptop thieves in airport lounges.
When going thru x ray - we never had to remove it from bag - just told them it was laptop and they advise you accordingly.

We found this really useful. Hope this helps.
L-j
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 10:07 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ELLJAY
Yeah check with the airline what your hand luggage allowance is and bring it on as your "Hand Luggage".

We went to WH Smiths and bought a laptop bag that looks like a backpack (but its extra padded) then you can put it on your back whilst your wheeling your other luggage. Also it doesn't "look" like a laptop thus deterrin laptop thieves in airport lounges.
When going thru x ray - we never had to remove it from bag - just told them it was laptop and they advise you accordingly.

L-j
they dont usually make you take the lappy out of a backpack style bag because in the x-ray machine they can clearly make out the edge of the lappy. But in the othere bags, they are so..tightly packaged in that they cant tell if there is anything been put between laptop and edge of bag. The security guy told us they had ask you to remove lappy from bag now, as people had smuggled knives and other sharp objects in there laptop bags, and they were missed on the scan. We didnt have to take out the battery pack tho
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 10:17 pm
redlion

Originally Posted by ELLJAY

L-j
Yes thanks, we actualy talked about one of those backpack lappy bag thingies too.

Nev.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 11:04 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Hi Nev

We have a 17" one and I managed to buy one of those laptop rucksacks for it. It's designed for a 15" one but it squeezes in ok.

Everyone on Singapore Airlines had to take their laptops out of their bags and place it in a clear plastic bag for the x-ray machine.

With them the hand luggage limit is 7kg officially so enough for the bag, lappy and bits.

Rich
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

One piece of handluggage and one laptop is perfectly normal on most carriers. 7kg is usually the weight for your hand luggage, so be careful you don't go over that.
Just check with the airline you're travelling with.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
One piece of handluggage and one laptop is perfectly normal on most carriers. 7kg is usually the weight for your hand luggage, so be careful you don't go over that.
Just check with the airline you're travelling with.
It doesn't seem to make a lot of difference what the official allowance is - given the amount of people that go through with suitcases which, while small, are bigger than the little basket thing, I wouldn't think a laptop would be a problem.
Coming over this time we both had laptops, mine (smaller) in a carry bag, and hubby's (15.4" screen) in a backpack. I also had a coolbag (small). They didn't query at all. This was with Emirates.
In the past I've had to take it out of the bag, open the bag, leave it in - there doesn't seem to be much logic. At Miami, flying out, I didn't take it out as they didn't ask. I then ended up having it dusted with fingerprint dust!!
I guess my tip would be just to try and keep the rest of your hand luggage minimal!
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 3:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Check with your airline, but many now allow a laptop to be carried in addition to ordinary hand luggage.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

Yup from the last time I flew, most allow 1 piece hand luggage and a laptop, but the laptop has to go under the seat in front at your feet.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 11:13 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs M carried her laptop through as well as hand luggage. Like Gina says, check with your airline but when we flew with Emirates, I'm sure they count a laptop as something else other than hand luggage - that is, it's not counted towards your hand luggage allowance - but they allow it anyway.