Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Laptop use during flights

Laptop use during flights

Old Jan 27th 2006, 6:38 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Laptop use during flights

I was just reading in one of the Dutch rags about wireless internet on flights nowadays, and I was curious of anybody that has had any experiences with it.

I will be flying with Singapore airlines in a few weeks to Melbourne, and was wondering if anybody knows if they have it on their flights.

Also, I haven't had a laptop that long, so I was wondering about charging up, or keeping the lappy charged for use during a 24hr flight. Will I need to buy another battery before I leave, or can you get charged up somewhere along the route.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 7:02 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laptop use during flights

Originally Posted by furkew
Also, I haven't had a laptop that long, so I was wondering about charging up, or keeping the lappy charged for use during a 24hr flight. Will I need to buy another battery before I leave, or can you get charged up somewhere along the route.
Dunno about your carrier but we are going with BA, equally in a few weeks, and they sell a charging unit that will work both on board and through a ciggy lighter in a car - its about 80 quid though:scared::scared:

If i were you have a look on your carriers website and see if you can buy something similiar.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Greigrob is on a distinguished road

I was just reading in one of the Dutch rags about wireless internet on flights nowadays, and I was curious of anybody that has had any experiences with it.

I will be flying with Singapore airlines in a few weeks to Melbourne, and was wondering if anybody knows if they have it on their flights.

We flew over with Singapore 4 months ago. We used the wireless internet with both the laptop and PDA without any problems(business class, dont know if its available in economy). As for charging the battery, the business class seats all have a power point. Although the power point in my seat didnt work the stewardess was very helpful and took the laptop periodically to an empty seat in first class to charge it up
Old Jan 27th 2006, 7:19 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Check with your carrier - I have always managed to use mine in Business Class but never found powerpoints in Economy. Even with a apare battery I have never found they work long enough to get any decent work done
Old Jan 27th 2006, 7:23 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
Check with your carrier - I have always managed to use mine in Business Class but never found powerpoints in Economy. Even with a apare battery I have never found they work long enough to get any decent work done
thanks for all the speedy replies.

If I have fully charges batteries, I can normally get about 3 - 3 1/2 hours at a time, but if I can stay charged up, it will save having to buy another battery just for this once.

I'll have a look on the singapore airlines site.

Cheers

Paul.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 7:28 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

thanks for all the speedy replies.

If I have fully charges batteries, I can normally get about 3 - 3 1/2 hours at a time, but if I can stay charged up, it will save having to buy another battery just for this once.

I'll have a look on the singapore airlines site.

Cheers

Paul.
Depends on how full the flight is, but I've also charged up my PC in the toilet, as they have a shaver point in there.

Some airlines have charging facilities, at least in business class, but then some have very proprietory sockets. This is vary airline specific.

Worse case, you can put some 'zip' into the batteries when you are at Sing airport. Also, it you get close to the business class lounge for KLM, you should be able to jump onto their wireless faciity if you want to.

I've not flown on an airline who have the inflight wireless yet. But I'd guess it would not be free, and not cheap either.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Greigrob is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by adriang
Depends on how full the flight is, but I've also charged up my PC in the toilet, as they have a shaver point in there.

Some airlines have charging facilities, at least in business class, but then some have very proprietory sockets. This is vary airline specific.

Worse case, you can put some 'zip' into the batteries when you are at Sing airport. Also, it you get close to the business class lounge for KLM, you should be able to jump onto their wireless faciity if you want to.

I've not flown on an airline who have the inflight wireless yet. But I'd guess it would not be free, and not cheap either.

I can't remember exactly how much it was, but I think it was quite cheap actually!!
Old Jan 27th 2006, 7:49 am
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by adriang

I was reading in the " Telegraaf " about it this morning. 24 hours was about $26.00, I think one hour was $7.95.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 8:06 am
Going for a ride

for anybody else that might be interested :

Stay Connected at 35,000 feet
Global travel means global connectivity, and we understand your need to stay connected. Our Inflight power supply system means you can work or play on your laptop computer while you travel. Personal in-seat telephones keep your world at your fingertips.

Inflight Power Supply
110 V AC in-seat power supply system
Our 110 V AC in-seat power supply system lets you stay connected to your favourite software, games, and music from your laptop for the entire flight. Singapore Airlines offers in-seat power supply systems in First Class and Raffles Class seats on selected B747-400s and B777s. In-seat power supply system is also available on Raffles Class and Executive Economy seats on all A340-500s.
The 110 V AC system supports Australian 2/3-pin, European 2-pin, Japanese 2/3-pin, and US 2/3-pin plugs. An adaptor is required for plugs that are not compatible with the system and can be purchased from KrisShop on board or via mail order.
15 V DC in-seat power supply system
The 15 V DC in-seat power supply system requires a different adaptor for its use. This is also available in KrisShop and supports various models of laptops from IBM, Toshiba, and Compaq.
For safety reasons and to avoid damage to the laptop, users are advised to disconnect their laptops from the system when installing peripherals to their laptops. Charging batteries is strictly prohibited.

Unfortunately i'm in economy.