Wikiposts

Laptop options

Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:14 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Re: Laptop options

Originally Posted by spottydog
Ohe thing I would check is their guarantee. We were looking at buying a Sony laptop but buying in the UK only gives you a European guarantee and Australia doesn't have the model we want
Erm yeah. We found out the digital Canon camera we bought here doesn`t have an international gaurantee, unlike the SLR Canon we bought a few years ago, which does. Canon say digital is only a regional guarantee, and analogue is international. Weird.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Hullfcfans has a spectacular aura aboutHullfcfans has a spectacular aura aboutHullfcfans has a spectacular aura about

Does Skype work with Apples? If so, why not try an Apple Mac mini? At £400 for the basic machine which is barely bigger than a CD case and a few inches thick you can't go wrong!

Even a fully spec'd one with all the upgrades is only £800 or so, plus you have to buy a monitor too.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hullfcfans
Does Skype work with Apples? If so, why not try an Apple Mac mini? At £400 for the basic machine which is barely bigger than a CD case and a few inches thick you can't go wrong!

Even a fully spec'd one with all the upgrades is only £800 or so, plus you have to buy a monitor too.

OOOwwwww!!!

Someone just dragged the thread back on topic.

That hurt. Bit of warning please!

JTL
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:45 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding claiming UK VAT back be aware if you buy a Dell you won't be eligible for the refund. For some reason no goods bought via mail order are eligible for the UK VAT refund scheme. I bought mine a month before departing, luckily my friends who took me to the airport waited while I spoke to customs and excise, they took all the receipts, paperwork etc away with them and posted them to me in Aus. I didn't declare the laptop as new as I'm b***ered if I'm paying two lots of tax.

Also my Dell Desktop was 7 months old when my main container shipment arrived, all parts were shipped in the original Dell boxes with delivery dates on the labels for all to see, customs didn't charge me any duty on this so I guess it just depends on who looks at your stuff as to whether you get nabbed for duty or not.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:46 am
Just Joined

Darren Gilbert is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by worzel
My PC is 6 years old and has been upgraded for RAM (twice), CR_RW drive, USB hub etc etc but I think it is getting to the stage to issue a DNR order. The final straw is we cannot install the software for my daughters digital camera nor use Skype as it only has Windows 98 on it.

The plan was to get a new one as soon as we got to Australia but I am not sure if ours will survive until we leave (and, yes, whether I can I manage 8 weeks or so until the ship arrives without BE ).

So while thinking about replacing it in the UK now it crossed my mind that if we got a wi-fi enabled laptop we could take it as hand luggage and keep access to the net / email which would be handy looking for a job etc too.

But could those IT experts amongst you all please let me have some comments on the following:

I don't like the idea of making do with the small kepyboard, clit for a mouse, and tiny screen when at home so is it possible to plug in full size versions of these or do I need a docking station to get this? (How much?)

How does this wi-fi thing work? Do you need anything installed / paid for? (I read somewhere about signing up for Broadreach - what is that?) How secure is this?

How do I connect to the net at home? Do you have a cable link to the line when docked or do you need a piece of kit to do wi-fi at home? (Does that work slower than a fixed line?

Answers to these questions, or any I haven't even thought of yet, would be much appreciated.
bought my laptop in england brought it over with us,wireless keyboard and mouse is the only way to go,$35 in sale get them anywhere for $50-$60
Old Apr 14th 2005, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

These days you can also buy USB wireless devices. They allow a laptop/desktop PC to become wireless without having to open it up and plug in a card. Just finished setting up. Works a treat.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Hi..

I have a VAIO S2 that I bought in the UK and have had no problems with it in Perth, easily get 2.5 hrs battery life out of it. Also when I called the VAT office in the UK they said that you can not claim the VAT back if you are a UK resident when you buy the laptop, even if you take it out of the country 2 weeks later.

Also with regard to warranty, with Sony you can purchase a one year international warranty within 6 weeks of the purchase of the computer, although sometimes they will be kind and allow you to buy it after the 6 weeks is up.

A couple of good links are attached below:

www.whatlaptop.co.uk (you can also buy the mag in WH Smith in the UK)

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asp/default.asp

You can also look on www.pricerunner.co.uk or other comparison sites, and don't forget that eBay also has a lot of laptops for sale at realy good prices.

The bottom line is "What do you need the laptop for?"...do you travel a lot? Is it a desktop replacement you are after? Is screen size important? etc etc

Cheers

Paul

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
A vaio? If so, definitely don't get a thin one, they don't like heat. You'll get away with it in the UK, but our is dying here, hence we are looking for a replacement.

The Vaio is improving now that the worst of the heat has passed, it can normally last for an hour or so. And as you say, no warranty

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 14th 2005, 8:21 pm
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Laptop options

Hi Bridie - I think it is getting to the stage where you and I should have a dedicated hot line between us

Which model did you get? I just looked on their website and the one I was tempted with (9300 I think) was FROM £900. That seems a lot if I need to start buying a keyboard / mouse etc as well. Also, doesn't having those extras connected use up your precious USB ports?
Hi Worrzel,

My laptop is the bog standard Dell, an 1100 I think, now the 1150, had it nearly 2 years now. Not gonna set any records, but great for virtually all everyday uses, excluding hardcore gaming. Cost me about £549, has XP, Skype, USB, got a firewire card for £14 and can do video editing, plays my MP3's whilst I chat on Messenger and surf this forum with ease. It's really all you need. Make sure you have more than 256Mb of RAM though. Oh and the battery gets nearly 5 hours if you're not hammering the processor.

Good luck

Paul
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hullfcfans

Yes Skype works on Apple's, in fact it works better as do most applications. Trouble is as soon as you mention Apple's on here a war starts.
For my money I would buy an Apple every time but good old Microsoft have got inside the heads of most consumers and made them think Windows is the dogs dooda's.

Apple Mini is a fab little machine, add a 15" tft for £100 or so and a decent Logitech keyboard and mouse and you have a good reliable system. At the moment there are no viruses or spyware on Apple OS and they don't slow down to a crawl after 6 months.

Dell PC's are fine, the support is a nightmare though. The old saying goes "you get what you pay for" Dell are cheap but don't expect too much if they go wrong.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Yes Skype works on Apple's, in fact it works better as do most applications. Trouble is as soon as you mention Apple's on here a war starts.
For my money I would buy an Apple every time but good old Microsoft have got inside the heads of most consumers and made them think Windows is the dogs dooda's.

Apple Mini is a fab little machine, add a 15" tft for £100 or so and a decent Logitech keyboard and mouse and you have a good reliable system. At the moment there are no viruses or spyware on Apple OS and they don't slow down to a crawl after 6 months.

Dell PC's are fine, the support is a nightmare though. The old saying goes "you get what you pay for" Dell are cheap but don't expect too much if they go wrong.
Apple machines have always been better quality than IBM compatibles but until the mac mini have struggled to be anything other than niche because of price. Personally I'm seriously considering getting a mac mini as well as a IBM comp laptop to cover all the bases for different applications.

Is it worth buying in the UK before coming to Oz or is it cheaper to buy in country? Also we are travelling from the UK via the states, will it be cheaper for me to pick up a laptop or mac mini there?
Old Apr 14th 2005, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
Apple machines have always been better quality than IBM compatibles but until the mac mini have struggled to be anything other than niche because of price. Personally I'm seriously considering getting a mac mini as well as a IBM comp laptop to cover all the bases for different applications.

Is it worth buying in the UK before coming to Oz or is it cheaper to buy in country? Also we are travelling from the UK via the states, will it be cheaper for me to pick up a laptop or mac mini there?
Apple's are deffo cheaper in the US, don't know about the warranty though. I have an Apple laptop and it's got international warranty. The desktop range (iMac, Powermac, Mini mac) have warranty tied to the country they are bought in.
I wouldn't bother about the IBM compatible, what can't the Apple do that the compatible can? If you need something to play games then an Xbox or PS2 is better, otherwise I can't think of a reason for a PC
Old Apr 15th 2005, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

As you say its just down to what you prefer, I work as an IT consultant and as such have to connect my laptop to various corporate LANs and it is easier to be compatible with the platforms that big businesses use, ie MS Windows. I think Apple's are fine but I guess I am just used to using PCs and find even the smallest difference difficult to adjust to! But have to say it is just what I am used to and not a matter of marketing or principle....

Paul

Apple's are deffo cheaper in the US, don't know about the warranty though. I have an Apple laptop and it's got international warranty. The desktop range (iMac, Powermac, Mini mac) have warranty tied to the country they are bought in.
I wouldn't bother about the IBM compatible, what can't the Apple do that the compatible can? If you need something to play games then an Xbox or PS2 is better, otherwise I can't think of a reason for a PC
Old Apr 15th 2005, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Will the Apple mini's if bought in the US have 110 volt only power supplies as they're classed as a desktop. I have to say I'm getting quite tempted by one after seeing a demo in the apple store which showed you can plug in a 2 button scroll mouse and it works as a 2 button scroll mouse rather than the single button that apple mice come with.

As for your question "what can't the Apple do that the compatible can?" Adobe Premier Pro (video editing software) doesn't work with Apples which is why in the end we decided sod it and went for the Vaio S3XP (lovely bit of kit but it really hits the credit card ) so we can edit video on the move. If this had been written for Apple we would have had an apple laptop.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 2:30 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

My PC is 6 years old and has been upgraded for RAM (twice), CR_RW drive, USB hub etc etc but I think it is getting to the stage to issue a DNR order. The final straw is we cannot install the software for my daughters digital camera nor use Skype as it only has Windows 98 on it.

The plan was to get a new one as soon as we got to Australia but I am not sure if ours will survive until we leave (and, yes, whether I can I manage 8 weeks or so until the ship arrives without BE ).

So while thinking about replacing it in the UK now it crossed my mind that if we got a wi-fi enabled laptop we could take it as hand luggage and keep access to the net / email which would be handy looking for a job etc too.

But could those IT experts amongst you all please let me have some comments on the following:

I don't like the idea of making do with the small kepyboard, clit for a mouse, and tiny screen when at home so is it possible to plug in full size versions of these or do I need a docking station to get this? (How much?)

How does this wi-fi thing work? Do you need anything installed / paid for? (I read somewhere about signing up for Broadreach - what is that?) How secure is this?

How do I connect to the net at home? Do you have a cable link to the line when docked or do you need a piece of kit to do wi-fi at home? (Does that work slower than a fixed line?

Answers to these questions, or any I haven't even thought of yet, would be much appreciated.
One thing to remember!!

A laptop will ALWAYS be slower than it's desktop counterpart, and parts/upgrades will cost sooooooo much more for the laptop!

Saying that any current machine will be fast enough for most things apart from running Doom3 on the ultra high setting ...lol.

Wireless is a must. Both my lappies have a card that plugs into the side for the net, it's ok, but as someone else said this can be an internal card or chip which is nicer on the eye, if that's prob (shouldn't be).

To go wireless you'll need a small box (will refrain from proper names) that your phone line will go to, then the signal is pumped into the air. The lil card or chip on your laptop will pick up the signal within various ranges, but mine reaches the end of the garden with a 90% signal IF you don't use the settings to encrypt your signal so to put it, your neighbour will be able to tap off your connection, but there IS settings on all of this wireless stuff that if used, you'll be ok (they tell me!)

Personally I think laptops are wonderful, but altho we have a few in this house, I will take one to bed once in a while to watch a movie on, but any serious time on the PC will be on a desktop!

The screen is ok (worse off the battery + laptop runs slower too!) but again not a patch on a decent CRT monitor.

I'll take one of mine as hand luggage for obvious reasons, and get the desktop once it arrives, but I KNOW I'll be itching for it after a week!

1p worth!
Old Apr 15th 2005, 2:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim2004
I will take one to bed once in a while

Eeeeewwww

I don't want to use one of your 'laptops'. bit to much 'lap' going on there I think.

I don't even want to know the movie you watch on it :scared:

Cheers,
JTL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.