Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Laptop dilema (again)

Laptop dilema (again)

Old Jun 30th 2005, 9:21 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laptop dilema (again)

Originally Posted by fraser
Got it so you get billed at mobile rates :scared:
Oh yes! I had one from work and it was OK but pretty slow. But at least work paid the bill on that one.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 9:25 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
Oh yes! I had one from work and it was OK but pretty slow. But at least work paid the bill on that one.

Have a look at this map
it show's the signals in SE suburbs of Melbourne, so I presume I can use it there
Old Jun 30th 2005, 11:37 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Some interesting info here:

http://melbourne.wireless.org.au/

and I read that a company called iBurst is offereing wireless access but not sure if it was via GPRS (Mobile) or a proper WiFi Network.

The wireless points marked on the Whereis.com map are individual hotspots at places like Maccas etc with very limited range.

As an example I tried logging onto one at Maccas and it would only work inside the building, couldn't get a signal in the carpark at all.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

We looked at Starbucks wireless access prices in Sydney and it was more than $20 an hour to log on (plus you had to decide how long you wanted and if you didn't use it all that go you lost it).

We have wireless on our laptop but haven't yet installed a wireless system at home but our neighbours don't seem very hot at securing there's and I can connect to it & surf if I'm feeling to lazy to go upstairs to the main PC. We were hoping them same would happen on our visit to Sydney but unfortunately in the place we were staying they had all secured it (but we did find a park where we could connect via someones apple modem). Cheeky I know which is why I don't make a habit of it.