Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Laptop buying in Aus?

Laptop buying in Aus?

Old Jan 5th 2005, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Laptop buying in Aus?

Hi guys
We're looking at buying a laptop with internet access (using a mobile?), please could some of you techies give me an idea of what's good, how much and where to buy from? Some internet links would be great as I don't know where to start here in Aus.
Thankyou!
Larissa
Old Jan 5th 2005, 7:08 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Laptop buying in Aus?

Originally Posted by Larissa
Hi guys
We're looking at buying a laptop with internet access (using a mobile?), please could some of you techies give me an idea of what's good, how much and where to buy from? Some internet links would be great as I don't know where to start here in Aus.
Thankyou!
Larissa
Larissa
There is a link to a computer place at the top of my website, www.abcdiamond.com.au where you can get a good idea of prices to start off with.

Old Jan 5th 2005, 9:07 am
Hunted member

Snark is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys
We're looking at buying a laptop with internet access (using a mobile?)
No first-hand experience but I reckon internet access over a mobile will be stupefyingly slow and horribly expensive :scared:
Old Jan 5th 2005, 11:58 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys
Thankyou!
Larissa
www.dell.com.au is OK.
Ensure you get a wirless LAN connection (mostly standard these days) and there are many places this will work in Oz. You should get the best firewall option too these days

Andrew
Old Jan 5th 2005, 12:29 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Larissa, buying a laptop is a minefield there are cheap ones and then there are good ones...

dont buy the cheapest - unless you really have to. Dont walk into PC World or equivelant and ask for help - you'll get plenty ;-).

Dell are tremendous value for money and thats why they're market leaders in home PC's (somebody flame me for that).

Mobile dial-up which is what you'd use will be truly slow, even with the latest 3g connections they're awful to use compared to a broadband or home connection.

But to use a mobile phone you need to connect the phone to the laptop. This is usually via Infra-Red or might be via a cable if the phone doesnt have infrared. You might also connect via BlueTooth. Some phones cannot act as modems, so you need to check that as well. Post on here the model and someone will help you. So when you go to buy your phone or laptop make sure they BOTH have either Bluetooth or Infra Red or you know where you can get a Serial Cable from to connect the phone to the Serial port on the laptop. Once you've connected the phone you just use normal network dialler software provided by your Internet Provider pointed at the 'modem' that is defined by your mobile phone's own software . There are 3 classes of mobile phone connectivity
- Normal speed ( about 9.6-56kbps ) = Really Slow, and normal call rates apply (ie X $pm )
- GPRS - about 56kpbs = eurgh, but better than above, and you pay by the amount of data you download instead of the length of time connected.
- 3g -up to 256kbps or something much better but still yucky, again charged by the megabyte instead of minute so should be cheaper overall.

GPRS and Normal are usuall both provided on normal phones, you need a GPRS capable handset and you need GPRS to be 'switched on' on your account by your telephone operator- just ask them . 3g is a different kettle of fish and reuqires a 3g phone.

Most McDonalds have wireless points in them , millions of other places do as well, where you can walk in and either buy a voucher over the counter to connect ot the network, or you can get a pay-as-you-go contract in advance fo rbetter rates etc. This is wi-fi , most laptops now have built-in Wi-Fi so if you see that you can use wireless. In UK for example an hour in mcdonalds is £5

You need to think about what oyu want to do with it.
- Pretty much any Dell machine will be ok for just basic internet access.
- If you want to watch DVD's you need a DVD drive added
- If you want to do lots of games , you'll need to look at the graphics specification and the memory.
- Check if the memory can be upgraded in the laptop later
- check the weight if youre planning on carrying it around the place.
- check the battery life again if youre planning on using it out and about

HOpe this helps - sorry its so long, kinda got a brain dump going. ...
Old Jan 5th 2005, 12:34 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

ooh.... and Dell have got a 500$ cash back deal going only 2 days left ;-)

they've usually got deals on , if they havent then just wait a coupla weeks!
Old Jan 5th 2005, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone, I would give out some karma to you all but I'm restricted now for 24 hours

Thanks especially Spalen, I will get hubby to read your response tomorrow. We're looking for one so he can start his own business, so some of the add-ons wouldn't be essential.
Hmmm, just wondering if any of this would be tax deductable once he does get work, which might make it more affordable etc.

TT4N
Larissa
Old Jan 5th 2005, 1:19 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Abacus is cheaper

Just so you have something to compare with we bought a very decent spec widescreen lappie for the equivalent of GBP 1000.
Got all the bells and whistles.
Acer Aspire model 1682wlmi-s.
http://www.briltech.com.au/index.jsp
Old Jan 5th 2005, 4:44 pm
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

Hi guys
Thankyou!
Larissa
Memory is everything nowdays. Make sure you have loads of memory and that it has space for more because if your going to keep it for a few years your probably definetly going to want to upgrade the memory in the future. Most laptops come with 512mb of memory which you should view as a minimum. Don't even think about touching a laptop with 256mb of memory. Also make sure that there's room to expand the memory. Now normally most laptops will only allow for up to 2 memory sticks to be inserted. This is ok but make sure that the machine contains a single 512mb memory stick rather than 2 256mb memory sticks this will mean that it's cheaper to add more memory in the future. IF YOU HAVE 1 512MB MEMORY STICK AND 1 FREE MEMORY BAY IN THE FUTURE YOU COULD PURCHASE ANOTHER 512MB MEMORY STICK TO GIVE YOU 1GB of memory if however the laptop has 2 256mb stick then purchasing a 512mb memory stick in the future will only give you 768mb as you'll have to replace the 256mb stick with the 512mb stick, so for the same cost you get less memory in the future.

WI-FI compatibility is definetly a very good idea and if you don't get a compatible one now you'll only have to pay more for one in the future as your bound to need wireless compatibility sometime soon.

Make sure that you also get a laptop with an intel processor (pentium, celeron, etc...) these are much better than AMD processors. Have had several bad experiences of AMD processors overheating in laptops, but never had a problem with intel.

If your using it for work a CD RECORDED or DVD RECORDER (if you can afford it) will probably also be important so that some of your husbands work can be backed up and archived onto CD. DVD's will store much more work and info than CD's but can add to the cost.

I won't worry to much about the hard drive size as nowdays disk space is so cheap that you can purchase externally attachable hard drive to PC's for relatively small amounts of money.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me for any more advice. I'll happily check over any PC spec before you purchase one if you want.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 7:08 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Good advice by Bix and Spalen. For a desktop I would not recommend 3 years parts warranty because it is cheaper to buy and replace yourself. Laptop parts tend to be proprietry and cost a fortune. I would recommend a 3 year parts international warranty. Dell do provide this.

I deal with Dell at work and am getting irritated that their call centres have gone down the drain. I have no objection to Indian/Malaysian call centres if they let me log a call efficiently. Sadly they are technically clueless and follow scripts which take forever to complete despite one having completed the trobleshooting.

Ask yourself whether you need a laptop as they are much more expensive than an equivalent desktop. I know a lot of people whose laptop never moves.

I know a few people who use desktop replacement machines which are large laptops with little battery life. They do not work away from power so do not mind the limitation. They are usually have better specifications but do weigh a bit.

In NSW I have used the following online stores without issue. www.pmecomputers.com.au , www.pluscorp.com.au , www.auspcmarket.com.au .

Auspcmarket do not charge shipping so may be good value for interstate.

For price matching use www.umart.net.au and www.msy.com.au. They are cheap but service is awful.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 7:20 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Hello

...... also check out www.whirlpool.net.au for latest broadband issues.

Regards

Jim

Originally Posted by bondipom
Good advice by Bix and Spalen. For a desktop I would not recommend 3 years parts warranty because it is cheaper to buy and replace yourself. Laptop parts tend to be proprietry and cost a fortune. I would recommend a 3 year parts international warranty. Dell do provide this.

I deal with Dell at work and am getting irritated that their call centres have gone down the drain. I have no objection to Indian/Malaysian call centres if they let me log a call efficiently. Sadly they are technically clueless and follow scripts which take forever to complete despite one having completed the trobleshooting.

Ask yourself whether you need a laptop as they are much more expensive than an equivalent desktop. I know a lot of people whose laptop never moves.

I know a few people who use desktop replacement machines which are large laptops with little battery life. They do not work away from power so do not mind the limitation. They are usually have better specifications but do weigh a bit.

In NSW I have used the following online stores without issue. www.pmecomputers.com.au , www.pluscorp.com.au , www.auspcmarket.com.au .

Auspcmarket do not charge shipping so may be good value for interstate.

For price matching use www.umart.net.au and www.msy.com.au. They are cheap but service is awful.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 7:42 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Hello

...... also check out www.whirlpool.net.au for latest broadband issues.

Regards

Jim
It is good to search on suppliers in there as well. Somewhere I have bought before (i-tech) gets slated for its after sales service in there. Luckily I have not needed the service yet.