Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Laptop advice please.

Laptop advice please.

Old May 1st 2006, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Laptop advice please.

We are thinking about buying a laptop soon to take with us to Oz.The question is do you think we may get one cheaper in Singapore or Oz or best stick to what we know and get one here.?
Anyone any ideas please?
Old May 1st 2006, 11:27 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laptop advice please.

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
We are thinking about buying a laptop soon to take with us to Oz.The question is do you think we may get one cheaper in Singapore or Oz or best stick to what we know and get one here.?
Anyone any ideas please?
Went through the same delimma but think about this, you get the VAT back at the airport. The selection over here doesnt seem as wide as UK and I found the price cheaper in UK (for my particular model).

If you have a particular model I could pop in to a store over here and compare prices?

Kiwi
Old May 1st 2006, 11:36 am
Banned

NewOZ will become famous soon enoughNewOZ will become famous soon enough

Buy one in Australia even if its a bit expensive but you still have the warranty (Notebook spare parts are too expensive)
and my advise go for Dell

Originally Posted by thebears
Went through the same delimma but think about this, you get the VAT back at the airport. The selection over here doesnt seem as wide as UK and I found the price cheaper in UK (for my particular model).

If you have a particular model I could pop in to a store over here and compare prices?

Kiwi
Old May 1st 2006, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

gavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant futuregavinrobertson has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NewOZ
Buy one in Australia even if its a bit expensive but you still have the warranty (Notebook spare parts are too expensive)
and my advise go for Dell
That's what we did - bought a Dell Inspiron 6400 when we got here. It cost us $1500 four weeks ago and it's gone down $50 already! The knowledge that Dell will fix it no questions asked if it goes wrong is worth more than we'd have saved buying in Singapore on the way here. One advantage of buying one here is it has the Australian (ie American) keyboard. If you're using a local keyboard at work you'll be driven mad by the differences in a UK keyboard at home.
Old May 1st 2006, 12:07 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

yes buy one in aussieland for the warrenty... they are cheap enough
Old May 1st 2006, 12:09 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

The better laptop manufacturers (Toshiba, Sony etc) have worldwide warranties (you know, that booklet in about 50 different languages that usually goes straight in the bin) so I don't think where you buy should rest on that. When this has come up before I've mentioned that I don't think places like Singapore are especially cheap for electronics. I think people hear about the Akihabara district of Tokyo and kind of lump the whole of the Asian pacific region in with it. From my experience you'll get good prices in Tokyo and in Hong Kong - everywhere else it seems to be of a similar price to the UK. At the end of the day, unless you really know what you're talking about, you're better off just buying in Australia - it isn't *that* much more expensive and you'll have the shop/dealer you purchased from on your doorstep should things go wrong.
Old May 1st 2006, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys I think we will wait and get one when we get to OZ then.We are not experts and if anything went wrong at least we could take it back and get advice etc.
Cheers.
Old May 1st 2006, 7:14 pm
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

I bought one here, cause I wanted just to plug the net and go, don't wasting time for software installations there.
Old May 2nd 2006, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

andydon has a spectacular aura aboutandydon has a spectacular aura aboutandydon has a spectacular aura about

I just came back from Singapore on 10th April and for electronic gear it is pretty much the same price as the UK and quality varied greatly, go for OZ and get the warranty.
Old May 2nd 2006, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there was a post on here a year or so ago stating that the Dell warranty is transferrable to Oz.
Old May 2nd 2006, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I wouldn't touch a Dell product with a bargepole after the problems I had with my laptop. They were the rudest and most unhelpful people I have ever had to deal with.

I have a Toshiba laptop which is great, had no problems at all and would very happily buy another
Old May 2nd 2006, 9:44 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
I'm sure there was a post on here a year or so ago stating that the Dell warranty is transferrable to Oz.
if you want a dell.

Go local. less hassle, less waiting, and cheaper in the first place.
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gavinrobertson
That's what we did - bought a Dell Inspiron 6400 when we got here. It cost us $1500 four weeks ago and it's gone down $50 already! The knowledge that Dell will fix it no questions asked if it goes wrong is worth more than we'd have saved buying in Singapore on the way here. One advantage of buying one here is it has the Australian (ie American) keyboard. If you're using a local keyboard at work you'll be driven mad by the differences in a UK keyboard at home.
Oooh, that's interesting. I've got an Apple iBook which I'll be taking over from the UK with me. What sort of differences will I have to put up with on the keyboard?
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkley23
Oooh, that's interesting. I've got an Apple iBook which I'll be taking over from the UK with me. What sort of differences will I have to put up with on the keyboard?
The main 1 I notice is that the @ and " positions are changed (ie @ is above 2 instead of the " on the Uk kb).

Since I threw my Dell laptop out in disgust which was a UK keyboard, all I have used is the American kb, I think there is at least 1 other difference but can't remember what it is
Old May 3rd 2006, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teliko21
The main 1 I notice is that the @ and " positions are changed (ie @ is above 2 instead of the " on the Uk kb).

Since I threw my Dell laptop out in disgust which was a UK keyboard, all I have used is the American kb, I think there is at least 1 other difference but can't remember what it is

Perhaps the ₤ symbol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.