laptop

Old Mar 15th 2006, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default laptop

Hi can any one help me with some question on my laptop. We are taking it with us and not shipping it. I am very new to the internet as my last computer took 15 mins to start up not alone trying to get on the internet. My hubby bought me my laptop for Xmas, at the moment it is wireless and i have a wireless router (BT). Will i have to buy a new router or will my old one work. Can i use my laptop in the airport to send emails ( will i have to set up hot mail account before i leave), will it be easy to get and set up broad band over there and will i need a new anti Norton for Aus. Some of these question probably sound really silly but i have no idea and my husband even less.

Stacey

Last edited by stacey and jordan; Mar 15th 2006 at 10:43 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 10:34 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: laptop

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
Hi can any one help me with some question on my laptop. We are taking it with us and not shipping it. I am very new to the internet as my last computer took 15 mins to start up not alone trying to get on the internet. My hubby bought me my laptop for Xmas, at the moment it is wireless and i have a wireless router (BT). Will i have to buy a new router or will my old one work. Can i use my laptop in the airport to send emails ( will i have to set up hot mail account before i leave), will it be easy to get and set set up broad band over there and will i need a new anti Norton for Aus. Some of these question probably sound really silly but i have no idea and my husband even less.

Stacey
Don't know about your router, but yes you'll be able to send emails at the airport. You don't have to set anything up before hand. It goes like this:
1. You turn on your laptop.
2. It tells you it can see a wireless connection and asks if you'd like to connect to it.
3. You say yes. It connects.
4. If it's a free servcice that's it - enjoy the access.
5. If it's a paid for service, your browser window (usually Internet Explorer) will pop up with a payment/logon screen for the Internet service - it'll have the pricing on there.
6. You enter your details, pay the fee and off you go.

You won't need a new Norton Antivirus out there - but it's the worst of all the antivirus programs, not to mention a bleeding great system resource hog and you could do yourself a lot of favours by ditching it and installed a free one like AvG or Avast, which do a better job and cost nowt.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

zbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hutch
Don't know about your router, but yes you'll be able to send emails at the airport. You don't have to set anything up before hand. It goes like this:
1. You turn on your laptop.
2. It tells you it can see a wireless connection and asks if you'd like to connect to it.
3. You say yes. It connects.
4. If it's a free servcice that's it - enjoy the access.
5. If it's a paid for service, your browser window (usually Internet Explorer) will pop up with a payment/logon screen for the Internet service - it'll have the pricing on there.
6. You enter your details, pay the fee and off you go.

You won't need a new Norton Antivirus out there - but it's the worst of all the antivirus programs, not to mention a bleeding great system resource hog and you could do yourself a lot of favours by ditching it and installed a free one like AvG or Avast, which do a better job and cost nowt.
Hi
I am also carrying my laptop.
I have a laptop bag but have been told that you are only allowed 1 bag for hand luggage.
Sister told me i could put it in a hold all.Dont really want to do that.
Is this true or can you also use the laptop bag
Was wondering what everyone else did with their laptop.

Beth
Old Mar 15th 2006, 11:02 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zbettyboop
Hi
I have a laptop bag but have been told that you are only allowed 1 bag for hand luggage.

Beth
Well - I bought the Sony rucksack for my Vaio laptop and use the spare space in the bag for my other stuff - books, magazines, that kind of thing. I bought a power adapter and use it to watch films during the trip.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 12:15 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Hi

Beth
I've always carried my lappy as an extra, and only once been stopped. That was a Qantas flight just after xmas from Brissie to Sydney. Although we were domestic it must have been an international flight as it was a jumbo. I guess they might have been concerned about people carrying extra pressies or something.
Mind you my lappy is more a notebook, at just over 1 kilo and not much bigger than a reference book.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

zbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gedge
I've always carried my lappy as an extra, and only once been stopped. That was a Qantas flight just after xmas from Brissie to Sydney. Although we were domestic it must have been an international flight as it was a jumbo. I guess they might have been concerned about people carrying extra pressies or something.
Mind you my lappy is more a notebook, at just over 1 kilo and not much bigger than a reference book.

Hi Gedge

Flying with Emirates in May from Glasgow.
Dont know what to do

Beth
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:40 pm

Hi Gedge

Flying with Emirates in May from Glasgow.
Dont know what to do

Beth
Hi Beth, if it's a big lappy bag you may have a problem. Could you empty out all the other bits and use it as a carry on bag? Or put the laptop in your normal carry on bag with a jumper? You know how cold it can get on a plane sometimes . I would also consider putting in my suitcase if decently padded, though it's obviously a risk so check your travel insurance.
I'm sure you knew all this anyway, sorry I can't help you more.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gedge
Hi Beth, if it's a big lappy bag you may have a problem. Could you empty out all the other bits and use it as a carry on bag? Or put the laptop in your normal carry on bag with a jumper? You know how cold it can get on a plane sometimes . I would also consider putting in my suitcase if decently padded, though it's obviously a risk so check your travel insurance.
I'm sure you knew all this anyway, sorry I can't help you more.
Hi Gedge

Going to buy a hiking rucksack and wrap it in a jumper or something.

Beth
Old Mar 16th 2006, 11:36 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gedge

Beth
I have a Techair laptop rucksack. it has a padded 'cell' to protect the laptop & loads of other space & pockets for other stuff. You can get them from PC World & mine was GBP35.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 11:43 pm

Hi Gedge

Beth
Yeah that works for me. I often carry mine in a rucksack. In fact I had it on my back when cycling home and I got hit by a 4x4 last year. It still works fine. I think laptops are built to withstand a bit of rough treatment, but I wouldn't go dropping on purpose.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

i just got cable installed yesterday and spent last night setting up my uk wireless router..... absolutly no bother.....all working fine

am now working on internet, whilst sitting out the back yard!!! nice!!!!

i've got norton AV.... but becase it came preloaded on my IBM, just can be bothered to take it off!!!

when doing your wireless, just remember to add the encryption so no-one can piggyback your connection. never know about these aussies ay!!

also carried my laptop in a separate bag. was flying business class to aus so wasn't going to be a problem. on economy from EDI to LHR with BMI it also wans't a problem - so would be thinking you'll be fine!