Wikiposts

laptop

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

wombat is an unknown quantity at this point
Question laptop

I am going to buy a laptop in the morning, but i am a bit of a blonde and i have not got a clue about these things
Can anyone give me some advice, where is the best place to buy a laptop ? and does it need to have anything done to it so that it works in Australia ?
lucy
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 6:45 am
WBB

Default Re: laptop

Originally posted by wombat
I am going to buy a laptop in the morning, but i am a bit of a blonde and i have not got a clue about these things
Can anyone give me some advice, where is the best place to buy a laptop ? and does it need to have anything done to it so that it works in Australia ?
lucy

any where but p.c world....it will work just fine in australia

take a peek here

i would never go back to a desktop, i use a laptop and have a wireless connection

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

GazzaGeorgie is an unknown quantity at this point

pop into pc world theyve always got some deals going on, as far as i'm aware you dont need to change anything to make it work in Aus...i.e voltage and stuff like that, just an adaptor for the plug...good luck !!!
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

thanks for the help, there is a pc world near us, do you know if they do buy now pay later? ( i will pay before we leave , honest ! )
how do you put the information from the old pc onto the new one ?
lucy (blonde and clueless !)
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

PC world or staples, make sure you buy a known brand eg Hewlet Packard or Sony, it might cost a few £ more but they have international warranties ( ask to be sure). I got a HP laptop with a 3 year worldwide warranty in Staples for £899, I could have got a faster "unknown" for the same money but the main brands (mostly) sell a better made bit of kit.

PC world are just coming out of their bad reputation and their prices are beginning to make sense, but dont bother with the extended warranty if you are emigrating.

Phil.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

why did pc world have a bad reputation ? I have never bought a pc before, my mum gave me her old one last christmas and it is really slow and old ! I cant wait to get a new one but i am dead worried i will get the wrong sort or be ripped off !
lucy

Last edited by wombat; Oct 3rd 2003 at 7:09 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

GazzaGeorgie is an unknown quantity at this point

why did pc world have a bad reputation ? I have never bought a pc before, my mum gave me her old one last christmas and it is really slow and old ! I cant wait to get a new one but i am dead worried i will get the wrong sort or be ripped off !
lucy

Lucy

PC world aint that bad....as phil said make sure you buy a HP or Compaq or Toshiba with warranty a few £'s maybe but piece of mind....
they wont rip you off....as long as you buy a brand name...
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 7:17 am
WBB

how much are you looking to spend on your laptop if you dont mind me asking?

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Dixons have got a compaq laptop 512 mg ram, 40gb hard drive, dvd-rom, cd-rw, epson colour printer, packard bell scanner and a laptop bag fo £999.99 does this sound like a good buy ?
i dont get half of that !
lucy
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 7:24 am
WBB

Dixons have got a compaq laptop 512 mg ram, 40gb hard drive, dvd-rom, cd-rw, epson colour printer, packard bell scanner and a laptop bag fo £999.99 does this sound like a good buy ?
i dont get half of that !
lucy
it would be a good average package and depending what you want out of your laptop, it could be all you need.

personally i would not buy this package and go for a straight laptop.

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by welshboybilly
how much are you looking to spend on your laptop if you dont mind me asking?
between £600 and £1000, anything is better than what i have got now !
I will only be using it to email and look on the internet !

Last edited by wombat; Oct 3rd 2003 at 7:29 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 7:30 am
WBB

between £600 and £1000, anything is better than what i have got now !
I will only be using it to email and look on the internet !
for email and internet only the package you mentioned would be great.

good luck

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your help billy, i am going to need all the luck i can get, the sales assistant will know i don't have clue, confuse me with loads of computer talk and make me spend loads of money
if only i hadn't of quit I.T when i was at school !
lucy (the sales persons dream !)
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 7:46 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

any brand new computer would meet your requirements for basic internet and word processing.

you only need the extra power (eg speed and RAM) if you're into playing games, or graohic design and so forth

Unless you're sure you actually need a scanner and printer, I would suggest just buying a laptop by itself - at least price them out separately to make sure it's a good deal. Often the printers and scanners they bundle are not necessarily the best buys and you may find you never use your scanner.... just a thought

plus you have to carry them all to aus
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Laptop

For a great bargain go via Singapore and buy your laptop there. You will get the latest model with bells and whistles at almost half the price. All works in Australia. The I.T Mall 03-07 Funan Singapore, whole mall dedicated to I.T equipment.

Last edited by scotvness; Oct 3rd 2003 at 8:29 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.