languages

Old Aug 9th 2002, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default languages

i know this is a bit stuppid but i gotta know now some idiot has asked me.
do they teach a second language as standerd in aussie schools and if so what is it?
shaun (old and confused):lecture:
Old Aug 9th 2002, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

tipper is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking as above.

its Welsh so when you go in a shop they can all take the p**s out of us pommis with no mums and dads.
going to syber bed know good night hard drive, good night cpu thats for you IT at the back of the queue persons.
tipper mechanic to the gentry.
Old Aug 10th 2002, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Claire is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My daughter is 6 and she is learning Italian. I know that some other schools teach Japanese so I don't think there is a set language aught by schools

Claire
xx
Old Aug 11th 2002, 6:51 am
Kiran

Default Re: languages

Only languages which are listed as LOTE (Language Other Than English). Japanese,
French, Italian, Indonesian .. and some other ones.

Old Aug 11th 2002, 7:32 am
Helena

"shaun/lor" <[email protected]> wrote

> i know this is a bit stuppid but i gotta know now some idiot has asked
    > me.do they teach a second language as standerd in aussie schools and if so what is
    > it? shaun (old and confused):lecture:

Here in W.A., it's standard in the primary grades. In high school, it's compulsory in
the first year. After that, you need to continue with it if you're going for a
Humanities degree in uni. What language depends on what school. Many teach French
(like at my kids' primary and secondary schools), but other languages are offered in
different schools. Some high schools might offer more than one language. That part of
the curriculum is called: LOTE - Languages Other Than English. Italian is pretty
common in Catholic private schools around Perth here. Other languages taught can be:
German, Indonesian, Japanese, Spanish, etc.

Good luck,

Helena

Old Aug 11th 2002, 12:00 pm
Hills

shaun/lor wrote:

> i know this is a bit stuppid but i gotta know now some idiot has asked
    > me.do they teach a second language as standerd in aussie schools and if so what is
    > it? shaun (old and confused):lecture:
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

I'm in Brisbane-our local primary teaches German from year 4 Other languages that
seem popular: Indonesian, Japanese, Chinese, French, Italian....... (memory lapse!)

Secondary schools can sometimes offer a choice of a couple, or, one school I know of
offers 'immersion teaching' in German - all classes, maths, science, etc are taught
in German!!!!

Restrictions on catchment areas don't seem to be as strict here as the UK, so it's
possible to check out a few schools in the area and choose a school for the language
they teach, if you have a particular one you like!

We have 3 primary schools within 5-10min drive from us, and none currently have a
catchment restriction. Was talking to a Mum at Judo last weekend, who is thinking
of moving her daughter to my son's school to learn German, as the family is of
Austrian origin.

LJ