Reload this Page >

On landing, what are the things that should be taken care of

On landing, what are the things that should be taken care of

Old Mar 3rd 2002, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thomas will become famous soon enough
Default On landing, what are the things that should be taken care of

Hi friends,

Going by the messages on this newsgroup, I think my visa should be approved and ready in another couple of weeks' time. I was wondering what should be the things that I need to take care of if I plan an initial visit for a couple of weeks (to get a feel of the place, first hand)

I beleive that it'd be useful to apply for social security card (or the equivalent) etc. during the two week period itself.

Any ideas?
Old Mar 3rd 2002, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Bones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: On landing, what are the things that should be taken care of

Hi Thomas,

After the obvious negotiation of immigration and customs and providing you have somewhere to live! I would advise the following to be done in the first week:

1. Apply for a Medicare card at a Medicare Office.

2. Obtain a Tax File Number by applying at the local A.T.O. (without this you will be taxed at the maximum rate).

Other people would probably add loads more to this list but I think these 2 are the most important that are peculiar to Oz.

Hope you get the good news soon,

Bones
Old Apr 24th 2002, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

Thomas will become famous soon enough

I would be grateful if some more people could contribute to this question from their experience. I'm sure that there would be quite a few more things that need to be taken care of as soon as we land. All ideas are welcome.

Cheers

Bringing up this message
Originally posted by Thomas
Hi friends,

Going by the messages on this newsgroup, I think my visa should be approved and ready in another couple of weeks' time. I was wondering what should be the things that I need to take care of if I plan an initial visit for a couple of weeks (to get a feel of the place, first hand)

I beleive that it'd be useful to apply for social security card (or the equivalent) etc. during the two week period itself.

Any ideas?
Old Apr 24th 2002, 10:00 am
Helena

"Thomas" <[email protected]> wrote

> > Going by the messages on this newsgroup, I think my visa should be approved and
    > > ready in another couple of weeks' time. I was wondering what should be the
    > > things that I need to take care of if I plan an initial visit for a couple of
    > > weeks (to get a feel of the place, first hand) I beleive that it'd be useful to
    > > apply for social security card (or
the
    > > equivalent) etc. during the two week period itself. Any ideas?

Well, I suppose you could take care of getting a Tax File Number from the Australian
Tax Office (ATO), although I believe they want an Aussie address for you. But 2 weeks
isn't a lot of time. The first couple of days you'll feel like bleary-eyed zombies
from the jet lag, made worse by blinding sunshine (you know, the stuff that emanates
from that big bright thing in the sky).

Do you know where you want to live? Have you decided on a city? If not, that's the
key - figure out where you want to settle. Then figure out your budget and your
needs, and look into neighbourhoods. You don't want to make a mistake and move to the
wrong area, since the whole moving process is so expensive and stressful. I would
treat your 2 weeks as a fact-finding mission versus taking care of little details.
Try to stay in a self-contained apartment style place so you can do groceries and
cook most of your meals, and watch the local news. Hang around neighbourhoods you're
interested in. Read the local community paper, talk to people on the street, look at
job ads, go to a few Open Houses, go to some car lots and shops, research whether the
area's got what you're interested in (schools, recreational facilities, good transit,
etc., etc.). Lots to do but try to have some fun at the same time.

Good luck,

Helena

Old Apr 24th 2002, 11:30 am
Google Groups

Default Link to DIMIA page with answers (was: Re: On landing, what are the things that should be taken care

Here is a link to a quite long page from DIMIA's site with lots of information for
immigrants who just arrived, as well as links to other pages with more info:

http://www.immi.gov.au/settle/info/arrived_migrants.htm

It seems to answer lots of questions.

In general, I keep finding this site very useful whenever I have a question about the
process, I'd recommand people to try digging it (the combination of this site with
the Google Toolbar "Search Site" button is a killer

Cheers,

--Amos

Thomas <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Thomas wrote:
    > > Hi friends, Going by the messages on this newsgroup, I think my visa should be
    > > approved and ready in another couple of weeks' time. I was wondering what
    > > should be the things that I need to take care of if I plan an initial visit for
    > > a couple of weeks (to get a feel of the place, first hand) I beleive that it'd
    > > be useful to apply for social security card (or the equivalent) etc. during the
    > > two week period itself. Any ideas?
    >
    > I would be grateful if some more people could contribute to this question from
    > their experience. I'm sure that there would be quite a few more things that need to
    > be taken care of as soon as we land. All ideas are welcome.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Bringing up this message

Old Apr 24th 2002, 11:30 am
Jaj

Helena As long as you have the right visa, the ATO will I think quite happily issue
you with a TFN on the basis of an overseas address.

Jeremy

>On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:07:26 GMT, "Helena" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >Well, I suppose you could take care of getting a Tax File Number from the Australian
    >Tax Office (ATO), although I believe they want an Aussie address for you.

Old Apr 24th 2002, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

timsorrell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
This is the list I made if it is of any help!
Cheers
Tim http://emigrate.hotshopping.com.au

Get rental/loan car
PO Box (if you are planning on having one, get it early on so you don’t have to use your temporary accommodation as an address)
Arrange long term house rental / purchase,
Register at Tax office for Tax file numbers,
Register with Medicare,
If you have children, register with Centrelink for family allowance straight away. Phone them on day 1 so payments will start from then – you can arrange to go there later with your passports, id etc and your tax file number.
Bank account – you may already have deposit account set up from UK, but you will probably also want savings & cheque account. Even if your deposit account is set up in the city, you can go to any local branch.
Select Doctor/Medical Centre (you don't have to register until you use them. You can ask UK doctor for your computer printout of your records)
get Mobile phone - Vodaphone possible with $200 deposit, Telstra - no way because no OZ driving licence and no credit history. You can bring a UK digital GSM phone and use an Australian SIM – good deal from Virgin – it’s $39 deposit and completely free monthly charge.
Buy the drivers handbook and start learning! You have 3 months from being resident to take the written driving test. (Practical driving test is no longer required for many countries including UK)
Suncream, and if it's hot, drink, drink and more drink.
Insulated Waterbottle & lunchboxes for children
Lottery Winners Circle card - call 131 868 to get one. Costs a few $ and takes a few weeks - worth having because they notifiy you of any wins and also it stores your numbers on the card, meaning to don’t have to fill out the form each week.
“Unidial Supersaver� card from garage for cheap calls to UK (just 5.9c per min)
Telephone account for cheap calls - recommend World Exchange
Internet ISP – recommend World Exchange
“Flyby� loyalty card from Kmart, Coles or Myer - register straight away so you clock up points straight away. Use the temporary card provided until plastic card arrives.
Before going mad in Kmart, note they sometimes have a storewide sale - 15% off all prices - absolutely everything, about 4 times a year. Watch out for it. Sometimes certain sections may have 20% or 25% off, - even 50% off say on children's clothing.
Playgroup - there's bound to be one or more in your suburb - ask around
Schools - sign up, buy uniform/books
Queensland Ambulance Cover $90 for whole family per year. Call 1 300 369 003. If you get private family medical cover, it could include ambulance cover… but medical cover could involve medicals and in the meantime you should have ambulance cover because a trip in an Ambulance following a 000 call could cost you $1500.
Get some insect spray ! and if you want, insect Repellant for the evening.
Shut screen doors as it gets dark
Weeds - control of them straight away ! Things grow fast here unless it’s winter!