Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

On landing, what do you do?

On landing, what do you do?

Old Aug 20th 2002, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

chana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default On landing, what do you do?

What do you have to do after landing in Australia (with your PR in hand)? Do you need to report somewhere, get some papers done... how long? Can someone who's there already help with some answers.
Old Aug 20th 2002, 4:53 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On landing, what do you do?

Hahah - sounds as like you're preparing for your 1st day of primary school!

Originally posted by chana:
What do you have to do after landing in Australia (with your PR in hand)? Do you need to report somewhere, get some papers done... how long?
Old Aug 20th 2002, 5:27 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

I think it was Tipper who said you should come back to this forum & rub it in that you're there & we're not
Old Aug 20th 2002, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

tipper is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: On landing, what do you do?

Originally posted by baldbutts:
I think it was Tipper who said you should come back to this forum & rub it in that you're there & we're not
i personally would have my suitcases in my hand uw ha ha ha,
go on with ya also if ide flown that far my bloody arms would be aching.
ive got to post somthing constructive in a bit.
all the string vest tipper.
Old Aug 20th 2002, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snickers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tipper:

i personally would have my suitcases in my hand uw ha ha ha,
go on with ya also if ide flown that far my bloody arms would be aching.
ive got to post somthing constructive in a bit.
all the string vest tipper.
Eh Tipper keep it on this level, irons out all the repetetive crap some keep posting

paul :PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY:
Old Aug 20th 2002, 7:19 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

Originally posted by Snickers:

Eh Tipper keep it on this level, irons out all the repetetive crap some keep posting

paul :PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY:
What dja say ?
Old Aug 20th 2002, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snickers is an unknown quantity at this point

What dja say ?
What dju say
Old Aug 20th 2002, 7:37 pm
huge,throbbing member

That's wot i said
wot djoo say?
Old Aug 20th 2002, 8:24 pm
Lassie

Since no-one seems to be telling you what you want to know, if I was in your shoes I
would contact the closest Australian Embassy or send an email to DIMA with an general
inquiry about the arrival procedures. But I am pretty sure you will be guided by the
officers at your arrival.

Good Luck

Lassie

"chana" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What do you have to do after landing in Australia (with your PR in hand)? Do you
    > need to report somewhere, get some papers done... how long? Can someone who's there
    > already help with some answers.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 20th 2002, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

tipper is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: On landing, what do you do?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lassie:
Since no-one seems to be telling you what you want to know, if I was in your shoes I
would contact the closest Australian Embassy or send an email to DIMA with an general
inquiry about the arrival procedures. But I am pretty sure you will be guided by the
officers at your arrival.

Good Luck

Lassie

hay lassi lighten up thats a bit wooof on us old timers waiting for our PRs on this 4rum. all hes got to do is walk up to the passport checker and hes in, before me drat.
that remindes me got to take the dog for a walk.
yours help fully tipper.
Old Aug 21st 2002, 1:00 am
Robert Edwards

Do what the Pope does......kiss the earth

"chana" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What do you have to do after landing in Australia (with your PR in hand)? Do you
    > need to report somewhere, get some papers done... how long? Can someone who's there
    > already help with some answers.
    > --

Old Aug 21st 2002, 1:02 am
Robert Edwards

Please......both of you...go to my site and have a look at the slang page lol

Rob Edwards
www.australianaustralia.com.au

"Snickers" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by baldbutts:
    > >
    > > What dja say ?
    > What dju say
    > --

Old Aug 21st 2002, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Perth Helena is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by chana:
What do you have to do after landing in Australia (with your PR in hand)? Do you need to report somewhere, get some papers done... how long? Can someone who's there already help with some answers.
Once the Customs people let you in, you're on your own. Bit scary but that's the way it is. Almost a bit of an anti-climax really.

Some suggestions:

* go to the nearest Medicare office (in most shopping centres and city centre areas), and apply for Medicare card;

* go to an ATO (Australian Tax Office) and apply for a Tax File Number. This is necessary for employment and to avoid the highest rate of tax on interest and income tax;

* go to Centrelink or Family Services to apply for any benefits you may be entitled to, i.e., family allowance if you've got kids.

* go to nearest Ministry of Transport office and pick up driver's handbook to learn road rules, in preparation for transferring your driver's license to a local one.

Then just start checking things out. Don't make any rash decisions or purchases right away since you'll likely feel like a fish out of water for a bit. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck,

Helena
Old Aug 21st 2002, 5:17 am
Squeaking Member

Anon E Mouse is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Perth Helena:

Once the Customs people let you in, you're on your own. Bit scary but that's the way it is. Almost a bit of an anti-climax really.

Some suggestions:

* go to the nearest Medicare office (in most shopping centres and city centre areas), and apply for Medicare card;

* go to an ATO (Australian Tax Office) and apply for a Tax File Number. This is necessary for employment and to avoid the highest rate of tax on interest and income tax;

* go to Centrelink or Family Services to apply for any benefits you may be entitled to, i.e., family allowance if you've got kids.

* go to nearest Ministry of Transport office and pick up driver's handbook to learn road rules, in preparation for transferring your driver's license to a local one.

Then just start checking things out. Don't make any rash decisions or purchases right away since you'll likely feel like a fish out of water for a bit. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck,

Helena
Get an address first.... then do the above...

Immigration's easy - join the queue, get sniffed by the cute labrador then by the even cuter beagle, get your passport stamped, get your bags checked, get in a taxi - welcome to Oz....

Mouse.
Old Aug 21st 2002, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

chana is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Perth Helena and PTLabs.

For first timers going in with PR Visa, is there a Citizens and PR lane at major airports or do we all go in the Visitors lane? Anyone familiar with airport layout?

Would be fun to line up in the Citizens and PR lane now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.