Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Land Rover Versus Range Rover

Land Rover Versus Range Rover

Old Jun 26th 2006, 10:57 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land Rover Versus Range Rover

Originally Posted by cresta57
There are new federal laws that cover all trailers up to 3.5 tonnes which incidentally is the max you can tow using a standard 50mm ball hitch.
Check out one or two of the tow hitch manufacturers websites TJM, ARB or Hayman Reece. I read about them on one of the sites just recently when we had to tow a large trailer from up here to Tenterfield NSW.
If your boat and trailer loaded exceed the 3.5 tonnes you could have problems with insurance.
What I have been told so far is that the width must not exceed 2.5 metres. But will look into this - the trailer has airbrakes.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by thebears
What I have been told so far is that the width must not exceed 2.5 metres. But will look into this - the trailer has airbrakes.
hi,

how are the air brakes linked to the car's brakes, and how does the trailer get air pressure to apply them?

just curious

graham
Old Jun 26th 2006, 11:39 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
hi,

how are the air brakes linked to the car's brakes, and how does the trailer get air pressure to apply them?

just curious

graham
Have no idea mate. The dealer said the trailer could stop both towing vehicle and itself - wonder if it can cook me breakfast and pull a pint??

Apparently there will be a button in the cab (once connected up) for me to push - OMG I can see some horrific scenes if I push the button instead of the sunroof button Ahh now it could be advantageous for tailgaters :scared: "sorry officer I was trying to open the sunroof"
Old Jun 26th 2006, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

Have no idea mate. The dealer said the trailer could stop both towing vehicle and itself - wonder if it can cook me breakfast and pull a pint??

Apparently there will be a button in the cab (once connected up) for me to push - OMG I can see some horrific scenes if I push the button instead of the sunroof button Ahh now it could be advantageous for tailgaters :scared: "sorry officer I was trying to open the sunroof"
blimey....yes that could get messy. I wonder if you have to push the thing like a game console, keep pressing for more power. Hardly the sort of thing you'd want to do in a quick situation. Of course, i could just be a hand brake, so best not to push it under travel conditions, or you might rip the guts out of the car.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 11:51 am
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
blimey....yes that could get messy. I wonder if you have to push the thing like a game console, keep pressing for more power. Hardly the sort of thing you'd want to do in a quick situation. Of course, i could just be a hand brake, so best not to push it under travel conditions, or you might rip the guts out of the car.
Think I might just get a Scania as previous poster suggested.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 3:24 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

We have been looking on the web to try and get some prices for Disco 3 and Pathfinder Ti (Diesel) in Oz. We found that the Disco 3 SE was about $73000, what extras are you adding on to get up to $93 - must be nice bits!! What about the prices of thge Pathfinder Ti, on the web we were looking at about $60000 is, is this about right? Can you get deals on the forecourt?

Thanks
Old Jun 26th 2006, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

of course range rovers come in a diesel! comfort factor is definately better in range rovers but pockets need to be bigger! one consideration though must be servicing - my Mits is still every 6000 miles (diesel) but new models for range rovers and BMW is something made like 15,000 miles - any noones mentioned X5???

warning for those looking a ute style pickups like Mits L200 etc - there's hardly any leg room in back row although new models by Nissan (only in UK at moment) are better. and we found Pathfinders are expensive in Oz.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Land Rover Versus Range Rover

and when working out costs - there's a bigger difference in Oz of on forecourt and on road - loads of reg charges etc be warned!
Old Jun 26th 2006, 3:53 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

BMW X5, lovely but for us only a dream! From our research on the good old web we have found list price on websites for Disco 3 and Pathfinder to be cheaper in Oz than uk. Found Disco to be £4000 cheaper and Pathfinder even more than that. Is this not the case when you get out to oz?
Old Jun 26th 2006, 3:56 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

We have been adding on 2% stamp duty, what other costs are we likely to get? Thanks
Old Jun 26th 2006, 4:34 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jothefw
of course range rovers come in a diesel! comfort factor is definately better in range rovers but pockets need to be bigger! one consideration though must be servicing - my Mits is still every 6000 miles (diesel) but new models for range rovers and BMW is something made like 15,000 miles - any noones mentioned X5???

warning for those looking a ute style pickups like Mits L200 etc - there's hardly any leg room in back row although new models by Nissan (only in UK at moment) are better. and we found Pathfinders are expensive in Oz.
The old model Mitsubishi Triton (L200 in UK) is just about to be replaced with the new model that is currently on sale in the UK. The old model is very dated & has terrible rear space. I have the new model Nissan Navara that you mention & it has good rear leg room (though not fantastic). It's cheaper here that in the UK although it has a slightly lower spec. The Navara has an awesome diesel engine that is also in the Pathfinder.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 5:43 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Think I might just get a Scania as previous poster suggested.
Hiya,
I believe tat RR, LR and Disco all have a towing limit of 3.5 Tonnes.

I also believe that this is the limit you can to with a car licence before it becomes a lorry, don't know about the law in Oz?

Have you ever tried towing with a trailer that big?

I think you need to speak with someone who tows one and see what they use, and how it drives and how it stops.
I know the brakes on us trailers are sometimes electric but never air, that's normally the reserve of lorries

Bye
Mark
Old Jun 26th 2006, 6:37 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The S's
I have just left Land rover and I worked in the Disco 3 area. I can honestly say I have heard nothing about any face lift. It would make considerable changes to the production line and I don't see this happening quite yet. They can't make enough of these as it is let alone disrupting production this early. If I could afford one I would buy 1 today, its an amazing vehicle.
SORRY my mistake it's the new Free Lander, looks like a Range Rover Sport.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 7:31 pm
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by markeh
Hiya,
I believe tat RR, LR and Disco all have a towing limit of 3.5 Tonnes.

I also believe that this is the limit you can to with a car licence before it becomes a lorry, don't know about the law in Oz?

Have you ever tried towing with a trailer that big?

I think you need to speak with someone who tows one and see what they use, and how it drives and how it stops.
I know the brakes on us trailers are sometimes electric but never air, that's normally the reserve of lorries

Bye
Mark
I do actually have a HGV licence and have towed similar but using tractor on backroads of NZ.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

RogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura about

I would avoid Land Rover at all costs in consideration of their very poor reliability record and reputation and cost of spares. Go Toyota or Nissan.
Roger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.