Land Question

Old Aug 17th 2009, 3:02 pm
aka bunja

Off2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Land Question

I'm wondering if any of you who have built your own houses can answer a question for me.

We have bought some land in Perth which intend to build a house on once we get out there.

The people who live either side of us have been in touch regarding the boundaries of the land.

Can anyone tell me if the cost of building boundary fencing is shared on both sides or are you responsible for one side on your own as in the UK?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

taz-devil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Land Question

I'm interested on this issue too... I'm mulling over the idea of purchasing some land in Victoria and building...
Old Aug 17th 2009, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

In SA you split the cost between you. You need 3 quotes and need to agree on the type/colour etc of fence and which quote to accept. We have the problem that one of the blocks adjoining ours has not been sold yet and the land at the rear is earmarked for development at some point (as yet unknown). So we will have to fork out full cost on two of our fences and reclaim later
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:00 pm
aka bunja

Off2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond reputeOff2Oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iwannabethere
In SA you split the cost between you. You need 3 quotes and need to agree on the type/colour etc of fence and which quote to accept. We have the problem that one of the blocks adjoining ours has not been sold yet and the land at the rear is earmarked for development at some point (as yet unknown). So we will have to fork out full cost on two of our fences and reclaim later
Thanks for your advice. Bummer about forking out.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:44 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Off2Oz
Thanks for your advice. Bummer about forking out.
It also depends on the estate where your land is. Some have covenants that say it must be a certain type (colorbond, cement, brush, etc) and colour. Ours is 1.8m cement painted colorbond "classic cream". It was part of the price of the land, so not sure about the neighbours sharing cost thing.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:53 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I put up colorbond and split the cost with the neighbour 50/50.

I would rather that that he put up a fence on his own with some crappy pine for half the total cost.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Swing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura aboutSwing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura aboutSwing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura about

http://www.dhw.wa.gov.au/Files/Divid...nces_feb08.pdf
Old Aug 18th 2009, 8:45 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

In NSW the neighbour is obligated to fund half the cost of a new or replacement fence of a normal quality. If you want a goldplated one he will only have to cough up for the "standard" neighbourhood fence.

Council boundaries are exempt - you will have to pay for all the frontage!

My two neighbours gave me cheques within days of providing the invoices, no trouble. The fences were probably better than standard but no objections.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 2:50 pm
aka bunja

Thanks everyone! Just wanted to make sure we weren't being fleeced.

Thanks for the link Swing your Pants. I will have a read of that.