Reload this Page >

Land with no services...ideas welcome

Land with no services...ideas welcome

Old Nov 16th 2006, 5:09 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Land with no services...ideas welcome

Hi

We're back on this building lark again having found a builder of great houses but we have to locate the land.
We've found an acreage property which rings all bells but it has no services.

Any ideas how we'd therefore manage to have a house on it?
Presumably septic tank, and bottled gas...
What about water? Tank? Bore? What's good?

I am presuming it would have electricity... If it doesn't, what then?

Thanks for the input.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 5:18 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Land with no services...ideas welcome

Originally Posted by iPom
Hi
Sounds great, I'd love a blank canvas like this. As for leccy you gould do a combination of windpower, solar and a back up diesel generator. You could fuel the generator with biodiesel.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for the input.
I would do what renth suggests even if it has.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 5:42 am
Account Closed

We would need power for computers as other half works from home. It would be seriously important.... but I guess a windpower plus solar, and backup generator would be the way to go...
Old Nov 16th 2006, 5:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We would need power for computers as other half works from home. It would be seriously important.... but I guess a windpower plus solar, and backup generator would be the way to go...
I'd talk to Cresta - don't think he has any services up there.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 5:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I'd talk to Cresta - don't think he has any services up there.
Thanks. Gympie I think, right? He might not have services, but he certainly has a Film Festival .. Very impressive!
Old Nov 16th 2006, 6:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Gympie I think, right? He might not have services, but he certainly has a Film Festival .. Very impressive!
Yup. Gympie. They built and I know they have generators, and tanks etc etc etc. Also know he loses internet connection sometimes - but he stays incredible calm and relaxed about the whole thing

We don't have mains gas and are considering getting bottles and changing the stove - I HATE ceramic stove tops. We are also not on mains sewerage and have a filtration field in the garden. We do have mains water though, although planning on putting enough tanks in to be as self sufficient as poss. We get a fair amount of rain in this area.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 6:34 am
Account Closed

Yup. Gympie. They built and I know they have generators, and tanks etc etc etc. Also know he loses internet connection sometimes - but he stays incredible calm and relaxed about the whole thing

We don't have mains gas and are considering getting bottles and changing the stove - I HATE ceramic stove tops. We are also not on mains sewerage and have a filtration field in the garden. We do have mains water though, although planning on putting enough tanks in to be as self sufficient as poss. We get a fair amount of rain in this area.
I'm not sure we'd be able to do filtration field here, given the National parks etc... but a septic would work.
I'm not sure hub would cope with losing internet very often.... though it occasionally happens here anyway.

So I guess that if you didn't have services it would vastly reduce rates and bills.
It's a 5 acre site, going for $115K. Seems too good to miss.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 6:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

I'm not sure we'd be able to do filtration field here, given the National parks etc... but a septic would work.
I'm not sure hub would cope with losing internet very often.... though it occasionally happens here anyway.

So I guess that if you didn't have services it would vastly reduce rates and bills.
It's a 5 acre site, going for $115K. Seems too good to miss.
Blimey that sounds like a great price - you'd get very little land round here for that money - although obviously you're in the back of beyond

The filtration field actually only covers a very small area (relatively speaking) - three trenches fanning out from a service point that is fed from the septic. Each trench is about 20 metres long and only about 18 inches below the ground, the sun on the ground does the rest. With 5 acres, it shouldn't impact on the Parks at all but obviously you have stacks of work to do before considering the purchase.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:01 am
Account Closed

Blimey that sounds like a great price - you'd get very little land round here for that money - although obviously you're in the back of beyond

The filtration field actually only covers a very small area (relatively speaking) - three trenches fanning out from a service point that is fed from the septic. Each trench is about 20 metres long and only about 18 inches below the ground, the sun on the ground does the rest. With 5 acres, it shouldn't impact on the Parks at all but obviously you have stacks of work to do before considering the purchase.

Hmmmm... thank you!

Wanna see my house?

It's a solar passive design, insulated, wood from sustainable forests in Victoria, yadda yadda yadda.... Ok, well that's just his 'display house' ... not mine, but mine will be similar. I hope.

Last edited by iPom; Nov 16th 2006 at 7:03 am.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Hmmmm... thank you!

Wanna see my house?

It's a solar passive design, insulated, wood from sustainable forests in Victoria, yadda yadda yadda... Ok, well that's just his 'display house' ... not mine, but mine will be similar. I hope.
but not with the same vile green on that wall hopefully Looks good. Like the curved carport roof. I like quirky bits like that dotted around. What is it wit these real estate photographers - a fab view like that and it's out of focus

sorry not being picky with what you want
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:20 am
Account Closed

but not with the same vile green on that wall hopefully Looks good. Like the curved carport roof. I like quirky bits like that dotted around. What is it wit these real estate photographers - a fab view like that and it's out of focus

sorry not being picky with what you want
I can choose my own colours. I think that green is a bit er... interesting, but I guess he's trying to sell it to some funky young things.
The curved roof is cool and comes in sections so it only takes a morning to put together and bolt on. It's got massive polystyrene insulation in between the two sides.

Yeah, the real estate guy obviously can't work a camera. Doesn't really do the house justice, but when we find the land to buy, we'll be able to take better pics (or at least, I will.... )
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd buy it just for the bathtub. Looks beautiful. Will you have the same lovely views as the display has?
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I'd buy it just for the bathtub. Looks beautiful. Will you have the same lovely views as the display has?
Yes, though on water tanks, I won't be filling a tub like that! The idea is that the house has views onto bush from every window... The 'outside ... in!' as the builder said today.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:53 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

The verandah roof shouldn't really bend in the heat like that, y'know <g>

I don't know how deep the sustainable water table is but if you drill a bore the Feri pump is worth a look at. It works from compressed air so can be run from an a/c or petrol compressor. I am wavering about whether to get one for my bore and if it will pump from over 100m depth - there seem to be ongoing problems with immersed bore pumps getting gunged up and corroded let alone having the power cable chafe through!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.