Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lancashire Meet, Part 2. 2nd June 2007

View Poll Results: Lancs meet: Where would you like the next one
The Harvester in bolton was great id go there again
36.36%
Somewhere near but with better facilities( say your needs in a post)
18.18%
Manchester
18.18%
Ill just go wherever in Lancs or Manc.
63.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Lancashire Meet, Part 2. 2nd June 2007

Old Apr 14th 2007, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

chippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to all
Default Re: Lancashire Meet, Part 2. 2nd June 2007

hi all :- enjoyed the last meet and look forward to the next one!!!!
dec app had medicals done and police checks..just the big wait now!! location unknown at the moment!! 136MODL carpenter joiner
Old Apr 14th 2007, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

jules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud of

Hi everyone. It was lovely meeting you at the last meet. Unfortunately I don't think we will be able to come to the meet as hopefully we will be on our way. The house sale seems to be going through ok. The surveyer has been already and we're just sorting out our shipping. Cheers for the help there Cath

However if it does all go pear shaped (which seems to happen a lot if this forum is anything to go by) we would love to see you all again. Kids loved playing out except the eldest who got lumbered with watching our youngest. We probably wouldn't bring the littlie if we did come.

Chippie74 - good luck it probably wont be much longer now. Keep that champers on ice ready

Jules
Old Apr 14th 2007, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

chippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to all

Chippie74 - good luck it probably wont be much longer now. Keep that champers on ice ready

Jules[/QUOTE]

cheers jules!!!!!!
Old Apr 14th 2007, 10:36 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Well Cath knows me all to well.....I will go anywhere as long as the wine is in plentiful supply.

I have requested the night off work for the next one so I am looking forward to meeting everyone new and not so new (didn't want to say old! ).

Anyway it will be me (Jackie) Hubby (Jon) Kiddies (Jasmine 11 and Oliver 6)

We have just accepted an offer on our house and expect to be leaving for Brisbane in June/July time.

We have our visa 136 and I'm a nurse and I have a job at CCU at the Mater in Brisbane!

Oh did I tell you I like wine??

Jackie x
Old Apr 14th 2007, 11:09 am
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Claire and Dave
If your looking for somewhere for kids there is a pub with a wacky warehouse just past the Reebok. Now, I'm not a big fan of these places and I've never been in this pub, but thats probably because we've no kids!

Gary if your looking for somewhere to stay there's a premier travel inn just opposite. They charge £51 for a double room for the night, I've had a quick look and they've got availability as well.
If you want to splash out there's always the De-Vere hotel at the Reebok but thats a bit pricey
Hi Claire & Dave,
We've been to the Beehive & you have to accompany your kids in the wanky warehouse complete with your plastic glasses, & there is no outside area cause of the hotel they stuck on the back, would be very hot & sticky in there if its a hot day.
What about the pub on Hunger Hill it has an indoor play area don't know about outside?, also the Three pigeons down the hill does that have any outside areas?
I'm not suggesting you know all the pubs round bolton but you might have more idea than us.

Also if Gary reads this, what about the Anderton Arms & that new pub next to M6 at Longridge turn off, any kids areas there?

Me Liz & Max 8 will be there unless I can talk Liz into letting me go to Isle of Man TT for full 2 weeks, but I think that is wishful thinking.

We're on a 136 modl motor mechanic but hoping to buy a motorbike shop, & live on Central Coast or Northern Beaches depending on finances, CO asked for more info in Feb on our 19 yr old dependent son Scott, we think this is holding our visa up as it's been over 8 months since acknowledgement, & we're stressed out with the wait.

Cheers Sim
Old Apr 14th 2007, 11:19 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Its a shame that we can't predict the weather in this country as we could go somewhere like Heaton Park if we knew it was going to be nice and all bring a pic nic and the kids could run riot, we could have a game of cricket or rounders.....but it will probably pee down with rain!

jackie x
Old Apr 14th 2007, 12:07 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simnmax
Hi Claire & Dave,
We've been to the Beehive & you have to accompany your kids in the wanky warehouse complete with your plastic glasses, & there is no outside area cause of the hotel they stuck on the back, would be very hot & sticky in there if its a hot day.
What about the pub on Hunger Hill it has an indoor play area don't know about outside?, also the Three pigeons down the hill does that have any outside areas?
I'm not suggesting you know all the pubs round bolton but you might have more idea than us.

Also if Gary reads this, what about the Anderton Arms & that new pub next to M6 at Longridge turn off, any kids areas there?

Me Liz & Max 8 will be there unless I can talk Liz into letting me go to Isle of Man TT for full 2 weeks, but I think that is wishful thinking.

We're on a 136 modl motor mechanic but hoping to buy a motorbike shop, & live on Central Coast or Northern Beaches depending on finances, CO asked for more info in Feb on our 19 yr old dependent son Scott, we think this is holding our visa up as it's been over 8 months since acknowledgement, & we're stressed out with the wait.

Cheers Sim
Good suggestions cheers sim. I think it need s to be somewhere more central for everyone as the last one was. Prestons a little far for us mancs and scousers!!

Did anyone have any probs with the harvester. Pm me if you dont want a debate or to air your grievances online to everyone and tell me why you think it was bad.

If i dont get any bad feedback i think it could be there again then as its got lots of parking 2 or 3 hotels nearby, next to a rail station from preston and manchester and is just off the motorway and umissable to get to as its next to boltons white landmark stadium. Just my opinion. I await anyones feedback.

The wanky warehouse sounded a good idea at first but impractical.

We need a pub with a garden and a few play bits on it. Did the Harvester have swings and benches etc outside?

al

Last edited by alkristensen; Apr 14th 2007 at 12:09 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Claire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really nice

Hello Simnmax,

I've not been to the Tavern on Hunger Hill since it was changed from a disco pub to a family pub. I think it might be similar to wacky warehouse though its £1.50 to get in "space jacks" but not sure if you have to accompany your kids. There is a bit of land outside but not a great deal. On the plus side I've heard the food and drink is good.
As for the three pigeons, that has got a beer garden to the side but now play area as such, just a patch of grass and some benches. Having said that I've not been up in a while so I might have to go and have a look and sample the beer, (for reserch purposes of course ). There's also a travel inn just down the road from there for anyone who wants to stay.

Its a shame that we can't predict the weather in this country as we could go somewhere like Heaton Park if we knew it was going to be nice
It is shame, we could get a BBQ going and get into the Aussie spirit.

I've got a bit of spare time today so I might go and have a recee now.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 12:19 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Simnmax,

I've not been to the Tavern on Hunger Hill since it was changed from a disco pub to a family pub. I think it might be similar to wacky warehouse though its £1.50 to get in "space jacks" but not sure if you have to accompany your kids. There is a bit of land outside but not a great deal. On the plus side I've heard the food and drink is good.
As for the three pigeons, that has got a beer garden to the side but now play area as such, just a patch of grass and some benches. Having said that I've not been up in a while so I might have to go and have a look and sample the beer, (for reserch purposes of course ). There's also a travel inn just down the road from there for anyone who wants to stay.

It is shame, we could get a BBQ going and get into the Aussie spirit.

I've got a bit of spare time today so I might go and have a recee now.

Thatd be brill mate if you could. To cater for kids more than adults as we dont get bored with beer and talk of sunnier climes.

Somewhere bolton way easy to find please as its pretty central for everyone.

That would be a big help.

If people are undecided by may 1st then it will be the harvester again for ease and bring psp s and games for the kids;

al
Old Apr 14th 2007, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Thatd be brill mate if you could. To cater for kids more than adults as we dont get bored with beer and talk of sunnier climes.

Somewhere bolton way easy to find please as its pretty central for everyone.

That would be a big help.

If people are undecided by may 1st then it will be the harvester again for ease and bring psp s and games for the kids;

al
we will probably be staying over somewhere too Gary - it will be nice to be able to have a proper drink and crash nearby.

Jules its fine, no worries. I agree with alk with the 1st May, that way we can get things booked and rolling.

Taking off a bit this isnt it????

Can I ask - i am a member of another forum too (half the people on there are off here anyway) - would anyone have any objections to this being a joint venture meet??? its only a handfull of people (if any) but was just checking if anyone would mind.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 2:49 pm
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Good suggestions cheers sim. I think it need s to be somewhere more central for everyone as the last one was. Prestons a little far for us mancs and scousers!!

Did anyone have any probs with the harvester. Pm me if you dont want a debate or to air your grievances online to everyone and tell me why you think it was bad.

If i dont get any bad feedback i think it could be there again then as its got lots of parking 2 or 3 hotels nearby, next to a rail station from preston and manchester and is just off the motorway and umissable to get to as its next to boltons white landmark stadium. Just my opinion. I await anyones feedback.

The wanky warehouse sounded a good idea at first but impractical.

We need a pub with a garden and a few play bits on it. Did the Harvester have swings and benches etc outside?

al
Hi Al,
Harvester was fine but kids only had tables & benches to jump on, which upset a couple of miserable gets who quickly left
If it's sunny in june we could take over the whole outside area.
A picnic in a park would be fantastic, Bolton has Moss Bank park which has a big playground, miniature train, ice cream vans, zoo etc it's about 3 miles from M61 on A58 so easy to find, but not as easy as Harvester.

Cheers Sim
Old Apr 14th 2007, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

True Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to behold

Hi Al

We're happy to go back to Harvester, if that's the decision made. Small courtyard with picnic tables (which the kids all played on and around ), very nice inside and the food was good - know how important that is for you

We'd also be happy to go for a picnic in the park (weather permitting) just seems a bit "hit and miss" as to whether you get a good weekend. We'll obviously go with majority but as I've already mentioned would rather daytime meet as opposed to night meet!

Take care.

Di and Pete
Old Apr 14th 2007, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

oznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud ofoznoodle has much to be proud of

we'll be up for the meet on the 2nd june. We really enjoyed the last one. The kids also enjoyed it once they started mixing with the others. It was great to talk to others doing the same thing and this time we'll have our visas
Enjoyed it at the harvester's but don't mind where it is. See you all soon.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Claire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really niceClaire and Dave is just really nice

I'm back from the recee and after several hours of visiting every pub in Bolton thats close to the motorway and easy to find.(it was hard work but someone had to do it) and after long deliberation I think we should go to the Harvester.

I don't know how people with kids do it. You either have to sit inside with them drinking out of plastic glasses while kids throw brightly coloured balls at your head, (the England cricket team should be getting pointers from them,) or sit in a beer garden in a pub where the locals sit there with faces like just because the kids are slightly louder than the football match on the tv, who wants to listen to the commentators anyway.

I'll keep my eyes open for anywhere else but with most of the pubs that have play areas outside being in the middle of nowhere, without sat nav, a compass and a boy scout we'd probably not all make it.

As a few people have said they enjoyed the harvester, the food was good and more importantly the beer is cold and it is very easy to find. I could bring giant Jenga and Twister to keep the kids amused, although at my party's it usually starts off with the kids playing but after a few drinks the blokes take over. Yes I am one of the guilty.

Well goodbye for now and hope to put names to faces shortly.

Dave.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

I'm back from the recee and after several hours of visiting every pub in Bolton thats close to the motorway and easy to find.(it was hard work but someone had to do it) and after long deliberation I think we should go to the Harvester.

I don't know how people with kids do it. You either have to sit inside with them drinking out of plastic glasses while kids throw brightly coloured balls at your head, (the England cricket team should be getting pointers from them,) or sit in a beer garden in a pub where the locals sit there with faces like just because the kids are slightly louder than the football match on the tv, who wants to listen to the commentators anyway.

I'll keep my eyes open for anywhere else but with most of the pubs that have play areas outside being in the middle of nowhere, without sat nav, a compass and a boy scout we'd probably not all make it.

As a few people have said they enjoyed the harvester, the food was good and more importantly the beer is cold and it is very easy to find. I could bring giant Jenga and Twister to keep the kids amused, although at my party's it usually starts off with the kids playing but after a few drinks the blokes take over. Yes I am one of the guilty.

Well goodbye for now and hope to put names to faces shortly.

Dave.
Dave - that sounds brill - we have those sorts of parties too - the kids end up sat tutting at us lot getting louder and louder - a little competitive. haha.

It is looking like the Harvester folks. Cheers for the rekki mate. It is appreciated. But then again what bloke would turn down rekkiing a pub!!! lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.