Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lammingtons. Do Aussies really eat them??

Wikiposts

Lammingtons. Do Aussies really eat them??

Old Nov 6th 2004, 7:49 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Talking Lammingtons. Do Aussies really eat them??

Profuse apologies but this came up in conversation with the children this evening. We tried these cakes in Feb. this year and even I (who would eat anything!!) thought they were

Do Aussies actually eat them or just make them, swear they are popular and laugh at all the daft Poms buying them to try???

Can you tell there's nothing but Bruce Forsythe and ballroom dancing on the telly?????

Bored,

Phil x
Old Nov 6th 2004, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Lammingtons. Do Aussies really eat them??

Originally Posted by philian4
Profuse apologies but this came up in conversation with the children this evening. We tried these cakes in Feb. this year and even I (who would eat anything!!) thought they were

Do Aussies actually eat them or just make them, swear they are popular and laugh at all the daft Poms buying them to try???

Can you tell there's nothing but Bruce Forsythe and ballroom dancing on the telly?????

Bored,

Phil x

Are you sure you had proper lamingtons? They are sponge cake coated in a chocolate sauce and covered in coconut. Proper lamingtons are lush. You can get strawberry ones but they are a bit rank.

They were actually named after Lord Lamington. When he had important personages arriving he sent to the nearest baker for some cakes and all they had was slightly stale sponge cake. This they cut up and coated in chocolate and coconut. There is a suburb of Kalgoorlie in WA called Lamington and the bakery there is supposedly the one that originally made them. I have photos of the bakery somewhere.

Yes they are extremely popular in Oz. You'll find they are a popular fundraising thing for school. Lamington drives involve copious amounts of mums slaving away and boxing them up in packs of 6. You usually preorder boxes and they are delivered on a specific day.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 9:10 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Lammingtons. Do Aussies really eat them??

Originally Posted by Ushas
Are you sure you had proper lamingtons? They are sponge cake coated in a chocolate sauce and covered in coconut. Proper lamingtons are lush. You can get strawberry ones but they are a bit rank.

They were actually named after Lord Lamington. When he had important personages arriving he sent to the nearest baker for some cakes and all they had was slightly stale sponge cake. This they cut up and coated in chocolate and coconut. There is a suburb of Kalgoorlie in WA called Lamington and the bakery there is supposedly the one that originally made them. I have photos of the bakery somewhere.

Yes they are extremely popular in Oz. You'll find they are a popular fundraising thing for school. Lamington drives involve copious amounts of mums slaving away and boxing them up in packs of 6. You usually preorder boxes and they are delivered on a specific day.

Yep we he had real ones......tried them a few times and thought they were dry and oversweet. I'm really shocked to find out they have Lamington drives.

As a mum I'd better find a good recipe otherwise I'm not going to fit in too well in the playground!!!!!!
Old Nov 6th 2004, 1:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yep we he had real ones......tried them a few times and thought they were dry and oversweet. I'm really shocked to find out they have Lamington drives.

As a mum I'd better find a good recipe otherwise I'm not going to fit in too well in the playground!!!!!!

I thought I was the only person here that doesn't like them - seems I'm not alone then! I find them too sweet, plus the fact that they are plastered in coconut and I don't like it I get extremely funny looks at work when I won't eat them. I've even resorted to giving money and not taking a cake, but they think thats even stranger.
The other stuff they keep trying to feed me is liquorish - revolting stuff, but it seems really popular here - you can buy bags of it in the office for charity
Old Nov 6th 2004, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

pluma is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a lammington a day............or i wouldn't come out to play.....

plum

Ps Wife keeps putting them in my lunch box
Old Nov 6th 2004, 5:47 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Bored,

Phil x

Get used to it. Ballroom dancing shows are some of the top rated on TV over here.....
Old Nov 6th 2004, 5:48 pm
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I thought I was the only person here that doesn't like them - seems I'm not alone then! I find them too sweet, plus the fact that they are plastered in coconut and I don't like it I get extremely funny looks at work when I won't eat them. I've even resorted to giving money and not taking a cake, but they think thats even stranger.
The other stuff they keep trying to feed me is liquorish - revolting stuff, but it seems really popular here - you can buy bags of it in the office for charity
Thank goodness.............I was starting to think we would be shunned and end up coming back to Blighty because of not liking the apparently National Dish!
We didn't come across them that often but I felt obliged to try them as my friend mentioned them in passing. So being unaware of the popularity of them I just assumed she was being sarcastic when she said we couldn't leave without trying them!!!!

So we need to develop a Lamington avoidance strategy then????.........hmmm

Phil x
Old Nov 6th 2004, 5:50 pm
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

Originally Posted by NJJ
Get used to it. Ballroom dancing shows are some of the top rated on TV over here.....

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Tell me Brucey doesn't host them??????
Old Nov 6th 2004, 5:51 pm
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

Originally Posted by pluma
Have a lammington a day............or i wouldn't come out to play.....

plum

Ps Wife keeps putting them in my lunch box
Is she a native? Or just cruel?

Phil x
Old Nov 6th 2004, 6:07 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Tell me Brucey doesn't host them??????
No Brucey, although the one on ABC does sound like they have the Australian version of him!! My in-laws are really into it all. There are weekly shows on 2 channels here, the ABC one has couples from each state of Australia competing against each other and the one on Channel 7 that started earlier this year "dancing with the stars" pairs one professional dancer + one celebrity (usually B-grade e.g. someone off home + away/neighbours) and use the pop idol format of people phoning in to vote off the worst one each week.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NJJ
No Brucey, although the one on ABC does sound like they have the Australian version of him!! My in-laws are really into it all. There are weekly shows on 2 channels here, the ABC one has couples from each state of Australia competing against each other and the one on Channel 7 that started earlier this year "dancing with the stars" pairs one professional dancer + one celebrity (usually B-grade e.g. someone off home + away/neighbours) and use the pop idol format of people phoning in to vote off the worst one each week.

Yes our one with Brucie...is called Strictly Come Dancing and is the same. Celebs and ballroom stars. It's for Children in Need this year.

However, apart from the inane drivellings of a senile old f*rt who needs to be put back in BBC storage...(And the scary Esther Ranson in a thigh split dress with a black lacy garter belt) I love the show! So does hubby. And every week I sit and pray that Diarmuid Gaving gets a dose of talent during the preceding week. I hope the same for Brucie but know Diarmuid has more chance of dancing a successful jive than of Bruce being funny!
Old Nov 6th 2004, 6:41 pm
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

Smile Re: Lammingtons. Do Aussies really eat them??

Originally Posted by Ushas
Yes our one with Brucie...is called Strictly Come Dancing and is the same. Celebs and ballroom stars. It's for Children in Need this year.

However, apart from the inane drivellings of a senile old f*rt who needs to be put back in BBC storage...(And the scary Esther Ranson in a thigh split dress with a black lacy garter belt) I love the show! So does hubby. And every week I sit and pray that Diarmuid Gaving gets a dose of talent during the preceding week. I hope the same for Brucie but know Diarmuid has more chance of dancing a successful jive than of Bruce being funny!
HeHeHe!!!

That just about summed it up!! I could watch the likes of Diarmuid having a go......at least you can have a laugh and admire him for his balls. but the others take it so bloody seriously. All for a good cause I know, but paint drying would be more interesting!!!!! Oh there is a God......thankfully i missed Esther in her vamp outfit! :scared:

And B listers in Australia............surely Home and Away/Neighbours would put you on the A list????? Are they not so popular there? Don't watch them myself but used to in their heyday!!!

Phil x
Old Nov 6th 2004, 6:46 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thank God! I thought I was the only closet Lamington-hater in the whole of Oz!!

Anya.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

HeHeHe!!!

That just about summed it up!! I could watch the likes of Diarmuid having a go......at least you can have a laugh and admire him for his balls. but the others take it so bloody seriously. All for a good cause I know, but paint drying would be more interesting!!!!! Oh there is a God......thankfully i missed Esther in her vamp outfit! :scared:

And B listers in Australia............surely Home and Away/Neighbours would put you on the A list????? Are they not so popular there? Don't watch them myself but used to in their heyday!!!

Phil x

Gosh I still do! Actually I get really really annoyed when people interrupt Home and Away! I don't watch Neighbours as I don't really like it. But Home and Away is my little bit of Australia (Home) every day.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 6:52 pm
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

Smile Re: Lammingtons. Do Aussies really eat them??

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Thank God! I thought I was the only closet Lamington-hater in the whole of Oz!!

Anya.
Blimey, I've started something here!!!!!

We've had Expats addiction self help groups, is it time for a Lamington phobia group too.

Phil x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.