Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

LAFHA under threat

LAFHA under threat

Old Dec 2nd 2011, 4:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LAFHA under threat

Originally Posted by Paul2O
I thought "worlds most complicated tax system" was America's?
I've read that it's Germany.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Some good info in the attachment
Attached Files
Old Dec 4th 2011, 8:19 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Some good info in the attachment
cheers Bob
Old Dec 5th 2011, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

daveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beoz
In an effort to simplify the "worlds most complicated tax system" it would make more sense to remove LAHFA and give you the bits you are currently not entitled to.

This is how I see it too
Also means about a 20% reduction in take home for me too.
And I could accept that if I was entitled to the same schooling, medical care and access to certain healthcare plans and the like that the same tax dollars pay for with PR and actual australians. But, we on 457's are an easy target as we don't have a political voice to complain with.
Vote with our feet?
Not likely. Came here for the perceived opportunities and way of life for the family. Some will leave due to it, sure, but what is the purpose of the 457? To fill roles that cannot be filled locally. So what does that achieve?
There will probably be a rash of PR applications go in from those being stiffed. I'll be one of them.
Some more thought and clarification required soonest me thinks.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveandsarah
This is how I see it too
And I could accept that if I was entitled to the same schooling, medical care and access to certain healthcare plans and the like that the same tax dollars pay for with PR and actual australians. But, we on 457's are an easy target as we don't have a political voice to complain with.
Vote with our feet?
Not likely. Came here for the perceived opportunities and way of life for the family. Some will leave due to it, sure, but what is the purpose of the 457? To fill roles that cannot be filled locally. So what does that achieve?
There will probably be a rash of PR applications go in from those being stiffed. I'll be one of them.
So you were always eligible for PR but stayed on 457 for the tax breaks?

If people are planning on staying here and just using the LAHFA for a bit of extra cash then I'm not entirely sure that's right. Surely thats not what its intended for.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80

If people are planning on staying here and just using the LAHFA for a bit of extra cash then I'm not entirely sure that's right. Surely thats not what its intended for.
From my own personal view I don't think it's right as I'd prefer those tax dollars to be spent on something that will benefit me.

It's funny how tax and at the end of the day, MONEY, is such a selfish thing.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

daveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nice

No, actually. Not eligible for PR until I've been here for 2 yrs, and only then if my co. will sponsor me for it I believe.
Found out about LAFHA after the fact, but as I think I clearly put across, it compensates for the things my visa does not entitle me to, that I have to pay extra for.

Take LAFHA by all means, but give me the same rights as everyone else, indeed as it appears the British government affords Australian citizens.
I'm here to live, not make a fast buck.

Separate topic probably, but if skills like mine are in demand, and cannot be filled locally, hence the 457 visa, why am I not on the skills shortage list, and therefore able to apply for residency straight away?
Old Dec 5th 2011, 2:50 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

From my own personal view I don't think it's right as I'd prefer those tax dollars to be spent on something that will benefit me.

It's funny how tax and at the end of the day, MONEY, is such a selfish thing.
Its funny how those that are not affected make simplistic comments.

If you are an Oz living in the UK on a temp Visa, you get free schooling, free healthcare and you get the UK version of LAFHA. The same is not working the other way round and yet Australia has signed up to reciprocal benefits....but is clearly not implementing them. As others have said, if I was entitled to the same as PR and citizens then the loss of LAFHA could be stomached...I'm not and so pretty pissed off at the Oz government.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 2:53 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Its not EXTRA cash....its offsetting the lack of benefits and your own financial responsibilities back in your parent country.
If and when I go PR I will be losing a lot of money so I would have to plan for that and make major budget adjustments...because I still have my home in UK. If anyone even thinks of saying, :Well, just sell it then..." I will lose it. Its not your money people so just imagine for one moment it is and then try and imagine the financial changes which initially certainly are quite drastic.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

No, actually. Not eligible for PR until I've been here for 2 yrs, and only then if my co. will sponsor me for it I believe.
Found out about LAFHA after the fact, but as I think I clearly put across, it compensates for the things my visa does not entitle me to, that I have to pay extra for.

Take LAFHA by all means, but give me the same rights as everyone else, indeed as it appears the British government affords Australian citizens.
I'm here to live, not make a fast buck.

Separate topic probably, but if skills like mine are in demand, and cannot be filled locally, hence the 457 visa, why am I not on the skills shortage list, and therefore able to apply for residency straight away?
Cool - thats all fair enough. Totally agree about the skills shortage/457 contradiction.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paddyo
Its not EXTRA cash....its offsetting the lack of benefits and your own financial responsibilities back in your parent country.
If and when I go PR I will be losing a lot of money so I would have to plan for that and make major budget adjustments...because I still have my home in UK. If anyone even thinks of saying, :Well, just sell it then..." I will lose it. Its not your money people so just imagine for one moment it is and then try and imagine the financial changes which initially certainly are quite drastic.
Not for you, no. But in some cases it is literally just extra beer money.

I get that you planned your time here as financially viabale based on getting the LAFHA and so to have it taken away next year is like having the rug pulled out from under your feet. That doesn't seem right at all so you are clearly angry.

If you get PR then that should enable you to get the schooling, benefits, etc. Basically a lot of what the LAHFA is intended to compensate. If your financial commitments back home means its still not feasible then I guess you have to make the choice about whether to give something up back there, or give something up here - which is shitty.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
It's offsetting Food and Accomodation. Not schooling or healthcare.

Though I will agree it's grossly unfair that temp visa workers cannot participate in these things, without cost, like a permanent taxpayer, the system of LAHFA needs to be work as it's intended and therefore LAHFA plus the rights of temp workers needs a change.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:38 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

It's offsetting Food and Accomodation. Not schooling or healthcare.
Schooling shouldn't really come into the equation either. That is state based policy (NSW & ACT only as far as I know)...versus LAFHA which is federal. 457 visa holders in WA, Qld, Vic, Tas, NT and SA aren't paying for schooling.

I think the purpose of LAFHA has got lost somewhere along the way. The treasurer is now moving the goalposts back to what I assume was the original intention for LAFHA. It's unfortunate that an industry seems to have sprung up around advising on LAFHA and it has become such a feature of people's remuneration and contracts that they are somewhat dependant on it. The goalposts were always liable to being moved.

Last edited by bcworld; Dec 5th 2011 at 3:44 am.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:39 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

This is how I see it too
Vote with our feet?
So your commitment to Australia is zero then. We came on a 457 because it was the only way to get here. As soon as we were eligible for PR we applied, same again for citizenship. I am sorry that you feel hard done to, you knew all of this before you took the job so I have absolutely no sympathy for people in your situation. LAFHA should not be given to people from overseas IMO, just PR or citizens who have to go away to work and are financially inconvenienced through no fault of their own (i.e. work transfer).

Just my opinion of course.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
So your commitment to Australia is zero then. We came on a 457 because it was the only way to get here. As soon as we were eligible for PR we applied, same again for citizenship. I am sorry that you feel hard done to, you knew all of this before you took the job so I have absolutely no sympathy for people in your situation. LAFHA should not be given to people from overseas IMO, just PR or citizens who have to go away to work and are financially inconvenienced through no fault of their own (i.e. work transfer).

Just my opinion of course.
and in your opinion should 457 Visa holders receive the same entitlements for paying tax as permanent residents?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.