Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

LAFHA under threat

LAFHA under threat

Old Nov 28th 2011, 10:26 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LAFHA under threat

Originally Posted by Amazulu
From what I've been reading this morning, LAFHA's gone.

Got a link?

S
Old Nov 28th 2011, 10:45 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Just seen that myself. Reading between the lines suggests that LAFHA is a gonner.
Possibly so, I would expect a limit of some sort may be imposed initially and then if it was to be looked at on a full cessation then it would be phased out gradually over a defined period to allow individuals and companies to make other arrangements.
Problem is, its not just 'highly paid foreign workers repeatedly receiving tax-free living-away-from-home allowances on top of their salary' is it, it also affects moderately paid foreign workers, in country autralians and Kiwis....so its not just a simple matter of a sweeping brush.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 10:49 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Looks like NSW is not sticking to the UN agreement

http://www.irishecho.com.au/2011/08/...ool-fees/11883
Doesn't suprise me, Australia is so ******* backward in its processes and so corrupt that anything they do is by law of the beholding. Its a 3rd world country in so many ways wearing a 1st world suit!
Old Nov 28th 2011, 10:51 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Possibly so, I would expect a limit of some sort may be imposed initially and then if it was to be looked at on a full cessation then it would be phased out gradually over a defined period to allow individuals and companies to make other arrangements.
Problem is, its not just 'highly paid foreign workers repeatedly receiving tax-free living-away-from-home allowances on top of their salary' is it, it also affects moderately paid foreign workers, in country autralians and Kiwis....so its not just a simple matter of a sweeping brush.

Don't be so sure - this is, of course, the same government that is, as we speak, attempting to bring in tax changes that can be restrospectively applied, against the recommendations of the tax commission.

Because they are obsessed/hell bent on returning the coffers to surplus, don't assume that fairness will enter into it at any point.

S
Old Nov 29th 2011, 12:04 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

LAFHA as we know it is finished.

"He said temporary residents will now only qualify for the allowance if they maintain a home in Australia from which they travel to other "fly in fly out" work, and workers will have to have documented evidence of their spending.

"No permanent resident legitimately using this tax exemption for accommodation and food expenses will lose any entitlements," Mr Swan said.

He said the crackdown would save $683.3 million over the next four years"
Old Nov 29th 2011, 12:33 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

"He said temporary residents will now only qualify for the allowance if they maintain a home in Australia from which they travel to other "fly in fly out" work, and workers will have to have documented evidence of their spending.

"No permanent resident legitimately using this tax exemption for accommodation and food expenses will lose any entitlements," Mr Swan said.

Seems like a logical reform to me. The LAFHA was intended to compensate an employee for expenses incurred when required to live away from their usual place of residence in order to perform the duties of employment.

In practice, many people on longer stay visas are establishing homes and new lives in Australia. They no longer have a "usual place of residence" in another country.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 12:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by asprilla
In practice, many people on longer stay visas are establishing homes and new lives in Australia. They no longer have a "usual place of residence" in another country.
I was in exactly that situation. I claimed LAFHA, you would be daft not to, but I can understand why my claiming it would have been considered a 'rort' by some.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 12:53 am
Account Closed

Increased visa charges as well. Anybody would think they don't want people to come.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-2...-myefo/3701624
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:09 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I was in exactly that situation. I claimed LAFHA, you would be daft not to, but I can understand why my claiming it would have been considered a 'rort' by some.
If the opportunity is there to take it, you'd be silly not to as you say !
Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

so what's the timeline on this? How God forbid the ATO website would be updated
Old Nov 29th 2011, 3:35 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by asprilla
Seems like a logical reform to me. The LAFHA was intended to compensate an employee for expenses incurred when required to live away from their usual place of residence in order to perform the duties of employment.

But SOME do.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 3:37 am
Social Grenade Thrower

where did you read that? Not disbelieving you, just like to have my own references.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 3:56 am
has lost The Game

where did you read that? Not disbelieving you, just like to have my own references.

Most of the news articles I have read only mention 'Executives' using the LAFHA system - not general workers. I can't find a reference that suggests it's going for everybody.

S
Old Nov 29th 2011, 4:14 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking as someone who emigrated with my family entirely at my own expense and received no special treatment once here, I am relieved that my (excessive) income tax will no longer be used to make your life easier!
Old Nov 29th 2011, 4:29 am
Account Closed

Here.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-2...2?WT.svl=news0

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.