Reload this Page >

LAFHA- Sorry advice needed

LAFHA- Sorry advice needed

Old Oct 15th 2010, 4:57 am
Just Joined

gardiner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LAFHA- Sorry advice needed

Hello all

I recently approached my company about LAFHA and they agreed to pay my rent every month as my LAFHA. However when i looked at my monthly payslip today I was underpaid by $650.

I was under the understanding that I would benefit and have more take home rather than less or is this after the fact that they paid my $1000 month.

I am struggling to calculate how to work it, I currently earn $49,220 Inc Super annuation.

All help is appreciated, thank you so much

27 Year old female pom !!!!!
Old Oct 15th 2010, 5:13 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LAFHA- Sorry advice needed

Originally Posted by gardiner
Hello all

I recently approached my company about LAFHA and they agreed to pay my rent every month as my LAFHA. However when i looked at my monthly payslip today I was underpaid by $650.

I was under the understanding that I would benefit and have more take home rather than less or is this after the fact that they paid my $1000 month.

I am struggling to calculate how to work it, I currently earn $49,220 Inc Super annuation.

All help is appreciated, thank you so much

27 Year old female pom !!!!!
Did they pay the $1000 directly to your rental agency? That would make sense as it then only cost you 650 net.

Ask the payroll department to explain the results of your payslip.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 5:16 am
ABCDiamond

$49,220 package = $45,156 salary

Normal take home should be
$3,763.00 Gross Monthly
$591.40 Tax
$56.45 Medicare
$3,115.16 Net

With $1,000 LAFHA would be:
$2,763.00 Gross Monthly
$339.45 Tax
$41.45 Medicare
$2,382.11 Net
+
$1,000 paid in rent
=
$3,382.11

You being $266.95 better off.

Old Oct 15th 2010, 5:18 am
Just Joined

Yes they paid it directly to the rental agency

We dont have a payroll department though, effectively that only means they paid $350 towards my rent a month, could that be correct though?

I understood as the take home pay to be better off not less

Thank you for your replies tho, they are appreciated
Old Oct 15th 2010, 5:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
$49,220 package = $45,156 salary

Normal take home should be
$3,763.00 Gross Monthly
$591.40 Tax
$56.45 Medicare
$3,115.16 Net

With $1,000 LAFHA would be:
$2,763.00 Gross Monthly
$339.45 Tax
$41.45 Medicare
$2,382.11 Net
+
$1,000 paid in rent
=
$3,382.11

You being $266.95 better off.

I think that salary includes a bonus of $1500 travel expenses, I am sorry to ask, are you able to calculate it on $47,000 including superannuation.

Overall I should be taking home not less than I am now is that correct?
Old Oct 15th 2010, 6:00 am
ABCDiamond

If you calculate your take home as NET paypacket salary + RENT paid for you, then those two figures added together will be (should be) higher than your previous takehome.

$47,000 = $43,120 taxable

=
$3,593.33 Gross Monthly
$540.50 Tax
$53.90 Medicare
$2,998.93 Net

$43,120 less $12,000 pa LAFHA = $31,120 taxable
=

$2,593.33 Gross Monthly
$314.00 Tax
$38.90 Medicare
$2,240.43 Net
+$1,000 rent paid
= $3,240.43

Result = $241.50 extra due to LAFHA

Old Oct 15th 2010, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I think that salary includes a bonus of $1500 travel expenses, I am sorry to ask, are you able to calculate it on $47,000 including superannuation.

Overall I should be taking home not less than I am now is that correct?
I haven't done any sums here, but just based on what you have said, doesn't them paying your rent of 1,000 but only deducting 650 from your salary make you better off?
Old Oct 19th 2010, 2:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If you calculate your take home as NET paypacket salary + RENT paid for you, then those two figures added together will be (should be) higher than your previous takehome.

$47,000 = $43,120 taxable

=
$3,593.33 Gross Monthly
$540.50 Tax
$53.90 Medicare
$2,998.93 Net

$43,120 less $12,000 pa LAFHA = $31,120 taxable
=

$2,593.33 Gross Monthly
$314.00 Tax
$38.90 Medicare
$2,240.43 Net
+$1,000 rent paid
= $3,240.43

Result = $241.50 extra due to LAFHA
Thank you so much for your great expertise, I will present these figures to my boss, just a quick one tho, I had a look at my contract and this is what it says;

$45,500 + super
$1500 travel expenses - as i travel insterstate quite a bit so would that be ok to include on the lafha or not???

Thank you I really do appreciate this
Old Oct 19th 2010, 2:27 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for your great expertise, I will present these figures to my boss, just a quick one tho, I had a look at my contract and this is what it says;

$45,500 + super
$1500 travel expenses - as i travel insterstate quite a bit so would that be ok to include on the lafha or not???

Why $1500 travel expenses??? They should pay ALL your travel expenses not give you an allowance. Also, your salary seems quite low and you should check that you still make your ATO MSL requirements after LAFHA is taken off.
Be very careful with this, I think you are being underpaid.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 2:28 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I haven't done any sums here, but just based on what you have said, doesn't them paying your rent of 1,000 but only deducting 650 from your salary make you better off?
Ditto!!!!

You have less salary but no rental outgoings so therefore you have more money in your hand to spend.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 2:31 am
Social Grenade Thrower

$45,500 + super

Do no such thing, these are figures provided by a BE member and even though I suspect they are accurate, you can NOT quote them to your boss as fact. You ARE better off, if you read what is presented to you correctly.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by paddyo
Why $1500 travel expenses??? They should pay ALL your travel expenses not give you an allowance. Also, your salary seems quite low and you should check that you still make your ATO MSL requirements after LAFHA is taken off.
Be very careful with this, I think you are being underpaid.

Just out of curiosity, A guy on PR visa can't claim LAFHA is it?

Last edited by ronan_in_Oz; Oct 19th 2010 at 3:51 am.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 3:50 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by ronan_in_Oz
Just out of curiosity, A guy in PR visa can't claim LAFHA is it?
Nope........er.......unless!!!! If for example you live in NSW and are working for 6 months in VIC, then you can claim LAFHA whilst you temporarily reside there, unless your company have expensed it all.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by paddyo
Nope........er.......unless!!!! If for example you live in NSW and are working for 6 months in VIC, then you can claim LAFHA whilst you temporarily reside there, unless your company have expensed it all.
Cool! Thanks for the info.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I see maths is Gardiners forte