Reload this Page >

LAFHA and School fees in NSW

LAFHA and School fees in NSW

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:23 am
Just Joined

chrisDK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LAFHA and School fees in NSW

Hi guys,

Thanks for many great posts on this site. We are a family of 2 adults and 3 kids moving to Sydney next month. Two of the kids will start in school.
I will been given a 457 Visa. We have spend quite some time looking into how LAFHA works, but we have some additional questions that I hope someone can answer.

1) Beside the food & rent part, will it be possible to deduct any school fees from your taxable income?
According to the case study posted on this site it does look like being possible:
http://www.lafha.com.au/CaseStudies.aspx

2) What about our extremely high day care cost, is it possible to deduct any of these expenses?
3) The property we are considering renting is about 900$ week. Do you think this will be accepted by ATO? It is nothing fancy but it fits our family size.
4) Do you know if there are other expenses that can be deducted from the income under the LAFHA rules?

Thanks,

Christian
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:43 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LAFHA and School fees in NSW

Hi Christian and Welcome to B.E.

If you are wondering what happened to your post, as a new member, inclusion of a hyperlink puts the post in a queue until the link has been checked.

It's all sorted now.

Enjoy B.E.

Alistair.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 1:01 am
ABCDiamond

You need to ensure that your LAFHA claims do not reduce your salary level below the minimum thresholds for a 457 visa.

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 1:10 am
Just Joined

chrisDK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for great and important info!
I wasn't aware that you need to exceed the minimum base salary after LAFHA reduction. From what I could I see the minimum base salary is 47.480$.

Chris
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 1:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by chrisDK
Thanks for great and important info!
I wasn't aware that you need to exceed the minimum base salary after LAFHA reduction. From what I could I see the minimum base salary is 47.480$.

Chris
Your Base salary is the taxable Base salary, which must exceed the threshold.
LAFHA is an allowance over and above your base salary.
Your super contributions, paid as an extra by the employer, also only need to be calculated on base salary.