LAFHA question

Old Nov 20th 2007, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Raptor50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LAFHA question

Hi,

I'm new to these forums, already in Australia and have a question regarding LAFHA.

I have been in Oz for about 6 weeks now on a 4 year 457 temporary visa and whilst waiting to get here asked my future employer if they would let us have LAFHA, their answer was "Have just done some quick research thinking this might be something I wasn't aware of ... however, it is the usual allowance paid for employees that are working away from their usual place of residence. So, your usual place of residence will be Cairns. Sorry, we won't be able to claim anything under this allowance for you .... " I thought anyone who was on a 457 visa was classed as temporary, and their usual place of residence is the country they come from.

Basically our story is I get $44,000 salary, we have 4 children and our savings have took a serious bashing with day to day living, rent, food, school bus fares ($50.00 a week). My wife wants to work full-time as the children are old enough, eldest 16, youngest 8, but we are in a catch 22 situation, she can't get to work without a car and we can't afford a car if she isn't working.

I did some research and reading in other posts, someone on here said that some employers won't offer it or will try to get out of it as they don't want the hassle of doing the paperwork or being audited.

Could someone please help us clarify as to wether or not we are entitled to this allowance, so we can go back to his employer with some further information supporting us so we can ask again for LAFHA.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

suart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to all
Default Re: LAFHA question

Hi

I found loads of info on this site, if you do a search for LAFHA it shouls all come up. I have also found another webiste called www.anzfinancejobs.com which provides you with a link to www.ato.gov.au ( this is oz government site will have all the information you will need)

hope this helps, if you have any other questions just ask im sure some one on here will be able to help

emma
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Raptor50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LAFHA question

Originally Posted by suart
Hi

I found loads of info on this site, if you do a search for LAFHA it shouls all come up. I have also found another webiste called www.anzfinancejobs.com which provides you with a link to www.ato.gov.au ( this is oz government site will have all the information you will need)

hope this helps, if you have any other questions just ask im sure some one on here will be able to help

emma
Thank you for the links, I will have a look now.