Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

LAFHA - need some help and understanding

LAFHA - need some help and understanding

Old Dec 6th 2011, 1:16 pm
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light
Question LAFHA - need some help and understanding

Living Away From Home Allowance - (LAFHA)
I am currently a UK resident and looking to move to Australia. There is a job on the table for my husband which his company will sponsor us on a temp visa to go out there on a 4 year contract. His job will entail him to work 3 weeks away and then 1 week at home (Home being Australia where we would locate too).
Now how i understand it is that he gets this LAFHA because we are away from UK home, however on the ATO website it say if you work away from home. Now if we got residency in Australia and he still did the same job (working of shore for 3 weeks) would we still be entitled to it ( http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/con...tent/52023.htm )
I hope i have made sense

Thanks for any help xx
Old Dec 6th 2011, 6:52 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: LAFHA - need some help and understanding

Predictions are that LAFHA will disappear for temporary visas as of July 2012. When your OH is An Australian citizen/PR and works away from home (presumably in a few years?) it may be possible to claim for that time away.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 7:39 pm
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: LAFHA - need some help and understanding

Thanks for the help. Is it generally a lump sum added to wages or tax relief?
Old Dec 6th 2011, 7:42 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

My reading of the proposed new rules is that you would need to maintain 2 homes in Australia to be eligible for LAFHA - your normal home and one that you maintain for working away. So for example if the 3 weeks your OH was away they had accomm and food provided there would be no eligibility for LAFHA.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:34 pm
Planning for the future

Originally Posted by bcworld
My reading of the proposed new rules is that you would need to maintain 2 homes in Australia to be eligible for LAFHA - your normal home and one that you maintain for working away. So for example if the 3 weeks your OH was away they had accomm and food provided there would be no eligibility for LAFHA.
Thanks for that
Old Dec 6th 2011, 9:02 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Given the upcoming changes you'd be strongly advised to negotiate a contract where LAFHA doesn't form an integral part of the remuneration package...if it so happens there is some eligibility for it, treat it as a bonus rather than something you factor into your calculations.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:52 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

bcworld is spot on.

To be honest, if I was in the UK right now and was negotiating a move to Australia, I would be assuming that LAFHA does not exist.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bcworld
Given the upcoming changes you'd be strongly advised to negotiate a contract where LAFHA doesn't form an integral part of the remuneration package...if it so happens there is some eligibility for it, treat it as a bonus rather than something you factor into your calculations.
Fully agree. Assuming OP on 457 visa temporary resident, I would say the LAFHA should not be in the employment contract because the tax benefits LAFHA currently attracts are set to disappear in July 2012 for temporary residents; i.e. employers should no longer be waving LAFHA around at salary negotiation time.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by asprilla
bcworld is spot on.

To be honest, if I was in the UK right now and was negotiating a move to Australia, I would be assuming that LAFHA does not exist.
Fully agree. Employers should no longer be waving LAFHA around at salary negotiation time.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:20 pm
Planning for the future

Originally Posted by cubeonly
Fully agree. Employers should no longer be waving LAFHA around at salary negotiation time.
So is it tax relief on a salary or is it an uplift on salary I'm a bit confused :/
Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:23 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma_Par
So is it tax relief on a salary or is it an uplift on salary I'm a bit confused :/
It was a tax relief allowance. It stops in July 2012 so irrelevant really. Make sure the employer provides a decent salary without telling you to include lafha
Old Dec 7th 2011, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cubeonly
Employers should not be waving it in the first place. It's not their money to wave.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 10:48 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get confused Emma - just make sure that the salary does NOT include LAFHA. I don't know your exact circumstances but I am 99.9999% sure that you or your partner won't be able to claim it post July 2012.

Do not make the mistake of accepting a salary + LAFHA component...

Unfortunately there will be people in the UK right now, making plans to come to Australia, who are not aware of this upcoming change...
Old Dec 8th 2011, 12:44 pm
Planning for the future

Thanks peeps. Here is why I am confused, this is what is being put on the table
Basic Salary
super

of which both of them come to the total package value (as i believe it we can claim the super back if we come back minus tax!)
and then then confusion...
Site allowance
this is described as ' to compensate you for working in accordance with site conditions additional hrs inclusive of weekend and BH
Is this nothing to do with LAFHA or is that is or does LAFHA effect the basic salary and tax code associated with that.....

have i lost you yet, cos I know i nearly am lol

Thanks for all your help peeps x
Old Dec 8th 2011, 4:32 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks peeps. Here is why I am confused, this is what is being put on the table
Basic Salary
super

of which both of them come to the total package value (as i believe it we can claim the super back if we come back minus tax!)
and then then confusion...
Site allowance
this is described as ' to compensate you for working in accordance with site conditions additional hrs inclusive of weekend and BH
Is this nothing to do with LAFHA or is that is or does LAFHA effect the basic salary and tax code associated with that.....

have i lost you yet, cos I know i nearly am lol

Thanks for all your help peeps x
Site allowance does not look like LAFHA at all to be honest. LAFHA reduces your taxable base for the value of extra accommodation and food, some other items, while you work away from home. By the sound of the site allowance it looks like extra cash thrown in for weekend work, off hours work and horrendous living conditions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.