Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

LAFHA Eligibility question

LAFHA Eligibility question

Old Jun 15th 2010, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

ginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the rough
Default LAFHA Eligibility question

Hi
I am about to get my 457

My employer offers LAFHA however they say they only offer it to individuals who own a property in their home country. They say its company policy.

Surely if its allowable by the Revenue my co shouldnt have a restriction on it. I wonder if they dont understand that its not a requirement from a tax position.

Has anyone come across this before?

thanks
Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LAFHA Eligibility question

Sounds like your company does not understand the eligibility requirements for LAFHA.

There is no requirement to own property in your home country.

If you are here on a 457 visa, which in its nature is a temp visa, you are eligible for LAFHA. The nature of your visa means that you must eventually return to your home country (or apply for a permanent residency visa).

It is however up to the employer whether they want to give you LAFHA. So, if you can't persuade your employer to be reasonable then there is really nothing else you can do.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

ginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the quick reply.

I agree , i dont think they understand .

My problem is being a "newbie" its hard for me to explain that its quite ridiculous to have company policy that is not the same as the revenue requirements.

I think a gentle word with HR is in order but its very delicate.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 8:26 am
Just Joined

ldouglas68 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, i've just been doing a lot of research re LAFHA and found lots of info on the ATO website. You need to go into Tax Topics and select F for FBT then select guide for employers which is under Advanced. This gives you and your employer all the info they need for administering LAFHA. You are right, you don't need to own a home in your normal place of residence to get LAFHA and the info is listed in the above. You will find all sorts of items that are claimable under the LAFHA scheme which a lot of people don't know about. Good luck!
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Thanks very much. Thats great info .

Really appreciate it. Certainly is clear.

Cheers