British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Ladies please read (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/ladies-please-read-545930/)

Funky Monkey Jun 29th 2008 9:18 pm

Ladies please read

Hi all.

Suprise suprise I am a man who cannot understand my wife so maybe you can tell me if this is normal.
We are moving to perth in August and I feel that it has always been more my wish than my wifes. Wife wants to go I just feel she is not as keen as me. We are packing and this week she cried and was a little down, this happened a few weeks ago as well. Is this normal ?

We are keeping our house and I have told her that we can come back and it has to be that both of us are happy. She seems fine but I sometimes wish I could be like some of my mates who are happy here and would not even think about going. Sorry to sound fed up as I am actually happy at the moment and enjoying my last few weeks here:)

GillyG Jun 29th 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Ladies please read

Don't worry Funky Monkey if she is anything like me she is probably really looking forward to the move but is sad to be leaving her friends (which women need more than men I think), her family, her home, familiar surroundings etc.
The best advise I can give you is be nice, kind, understanding and loving towards her. Just give her a hug and tell her that you will always be there to love and protect her and keep telling her this. Men say things once and think that's enough but women (in general) need telling time and time again! Good luck x:thumbup:

Funky Monkey Jun 29th 2008 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by GillyG (Post 6516974)
Don't worry Funky Monkey if she is anything like me she is probably really looking forward to the move but is sad to be leaving her friends (which women need more than men I think), her family, her home, familiar surroundings etc.
The best advise I can give you is be nice, kind, understanding and loving towards her. Just give her a hug and tell her that you will always be there to love and protect her and keep telling her this. Men say things once and think that's enough but women (in general) need telling time and time again! Good luck x:thumbup:

Thanks so much Gilly you have put my mind at ease. You are right about men in all that you said and spot on regarding the friends bit, well in my case anyway.

Thanks again Gilly, James.

paddyo Jun 29th 2008 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by GillyG (Post 6516974)

I agree Gilly, I tell my wife time and time again not to moan about the loo seat being up but does she listen? Does she heck, have to repeat myself all the time!
But in seriousness, my wife felt the same, really excited about going but at a bit of a loss for leaving friends behind, didn't care too much about family. Her sole comfort blanket these days is regular phone chats and emails with her ex next door neighbour to keep up with the gossip!!

peanut21 Jun 30th 2008 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey (Post 6516931)
Hi all.

Suprise suprise I am a man who cannot understand my wife so maybe you can tell me if this is normal.
We are moving to perth in August and I feel that it has always been more my wish than my wifes. Wife wants to go I just feel she is not as keen as me. We are packing and this week she cried and was a little down, this happened a few weeks ago as well. Is this normal ?

We are keeping our house and I have told her that we can come back and it has to be that both of us are happy. She seems fine but I sometimes wish I could be like some of my mates who are happy here and would not even think about going. Sorry to sound fed up as I am actually happy at the moment and enjoying my last few weeks here:)

Hi Monkey,

Well at least you are already noticing your wifes feeling and you are keeping your house so even if after two years or so she doesnt like it you still have your foot on the property ladder and a home to go back too. Some women (myself included) never get over the feeling of homesickness but it doesnt mean that we dont enjoy being here it just means eventually we want to go home. Bet of luck mate

ray2gill Jun 30th 2008 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 6517297)
I agree Gilly, I tell my wife time and time again not to moan about the loo seat being up but does she listen? Does she heck, have to repeat myself all the time!

Well paddyo lets look at it from a different perspective - you are the one not listening. Why are you leaving the loo seat up? Are you always right and your wife always wrong?

ray2gill Jun 30th 2008 3:21 pm

Hi all.

For women their home and family is everything. You are probably concerned about your job and getting there. Your wife is concerned about the shipping, whether curtains will fit, where she will be living etc. She will therefore feel far more insecure that you will.

I have moved around the world and traveled to many countries but we are moving to Brisbane on the 2st July and my mind is on overdrive. Thinking about leaving our daughter age 30+, shippers, furniture to take, work, and a thousand and one other things which our husbands/partners do not seem to get involved in.

Ask if there is anything you can help her with, just sit down and talk the whole process through - it does help to have someone close to you just listen to your worries and fears.

Good luck with your move.

paddyo Jun 30th 2008 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by ray2gill (Post 6518990)
Well paddyo lets look at it from a different perspective - you are the one not listening. Why are you leaving the loo seat up? Are you always right and your wife always wrong?

I did of course justify that statement by stating that it was not serious, I am not only fully cognisant of my wifes wishes and needs but also those of my own, so read the whole post before you decide to rebuke you numpty!

perksy Jun 30th 2008 4:15 pm

I bollock my wife for leaving the loo seat down its a right pain when you need a pee and you have to keep lifting the seat up ;)

penky Jun 30th 2008 4:35 pm

Hi all.

Aw your so sweet, yes it is completely normal , it's a big step and can be very emotional leaving the life you have known behind :)

penky Jun 30th 2008 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 6517297)

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 6519147)
I did of course justify that statement by stating that it was not serious, I am not only fully cognisant of my wifes wishes and needs but also those of my own, so read the whole post before you decide to rebuke you numpty!

Originally Posted by perksy (Post 6519265)
I bollock my wife for leaving the loo seat down its a right pain when you need a pee and you have to keep lifting the seat up ;)

:rofl: I love it!

Funky Monkey Jun 30th 2008 6:56 pm

Thank you ladies for your replies. It is often said the only person that knows how a woman works is another woman. Yo have all honestly been a great help and I am sure things will work out and I will keep posting, James :)

ray2gill Jul 1st 2008 2:53 am

Oh dear who is in a paddy then!

ray2gill Jul 1st 2008 2:55 am

Oh dear who is in a paddy then! Do you always resort to insults?

ray2gill Jul 1st 2008 3:04 am

Originally Posted by perksy (Post 6519265)

Have you ever watched a program called 'Myth Busters'. Well they established that if the toilet seat is left up when the toilet is flushed that millions of germs get sprayed around the bathroom. These germs were found to be on toothe brushes at least 3 metres away from the toilet.

So may be there is a reason that we females keep requesting for the toilet seat to be put down every time. Has anyone invented a self closing toilet lid?:thumbup: