Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ladies clothes sizes in Oz??

Ladies clothes sizes in Oz??

Old Feb 18th 2005, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ladies clothes sizes in Oz??

Sorry I still didn't work this out despite being over there for 7 weeks!

If I am a UK size 12 what am I in Oz?

Plus, shoe size 5?

Many thanks,

Mrs J

PS Oh and hubby is an 11...................

PPS Do they use European sizes at all?

PPPS You would think with our departure in less than 2 weeks I would have other things to worry about
Old Feb 18th 2005, 8:49 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ladies clothes sizes in Oz??

Originally Posted by The Jones Family

Plus, shoe size 5?

Many thanks,

Mrs J

PPPS You would think with our departure in less than 2 weeks I would have other things to worry about

I read something the other day about Australian clothes sizes being on the generous side so if you are a UK size 12 you may be lucky enough to fit an Australian Size 10! (bet that has made your weekend before it has really started!)

As for the rest, I can't be much help but you can bet that those shop assistants will be only too pleased to help you!

Less than two weeks, huh? Lucky you! Good luck with it all.

Binbird
Old Feb 18th 2005, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

FITCHETT FAMILY will become famous soon enough

Plus, shoe size 5?

Many thanks,

Mrs J

Hi
LOL, my wife Tina has just read this and say`s theres nothing more important, its a tremendous Question.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

jaxowen will become famous soon enoughjaxowen will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=The Jones Family]

Oh, Now your just showing off !

jax
Old Feb 18th 2005, 8:57 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Smile Re: Ladies clothes sizes in Oz??

Plus, shoe size 5?

Many thanks,

Mrs J

G'day MrsJ. Size 12 here and there are the same. Some clothes sizes vary a bit depending on where they're made, eg Asian made clothes are often a bit smaller, so you may find a slight variation in that way. Otherwise, ladies sizes are the same.

Men's sizes are usually in centimetres and vary in size brackets, eg 87-95, 97-105, 107-110, etc - don't ask me what happens if he's, say, a 96cm chest! You'd have to decide whether you like your bloke dressed 'snug' or 'loose'! Generally here, it's better to wear clothes a little looser due to the warmth though.

Shoes are a different matter. The UK sizes are usually smaller than the Oz ones. In UK, I used to be a size 6, here I'm a 9. So that's something you'll need to try out to find out your 'new' size.

Yes, European sizes are used for some things. Some places are a bit of a mish-mash of everything! You get used to it!!

So ... in Oz, you'd still be a 12 with either a 7 or 8 shoe size, I'd imagine. Not sure about hubby's 11 - sounds big!!! Average bloke here (shoes, that is ) is probably a 9 or 10.

Now go get on with that packing!!! hehe

Old Feb 19th 2005, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=The Jones Family]Sorry I still didn't work this out despite being over there for 7 weeks!

Plus, shoe size 5?

Many thanks,

Mrs J

Come and see us at 'Millers'. Opposite Crazy Clarks in the city.
We have loads of lovely clothes and bloody cheap as well!!!

I am a UK shoe size 4/5, here I wear about a size 7.
Clothes sizes are slightly bigger. If you are a 12, then you will probably be a 10 here.
Old Feb 19th 2005, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Plus, shoe size 5?

Many thanks,

Mrs J

there is nothing else you have to think of apart from where to get you clothes and shoes

I am 5 and find 7 1/2 ok, yes some shoes have european sizes on them. Clothes depend on where you buy them from, pretty much like UK but you will be around your usual size, if you have room in your luggage (or make room!!) stock up before you come out...........

Teresa
Old Feb 19th 2005, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swifts
there is nothing else you have to think of apart from where to get you clothes and shoes

I am 5 and find 7 1/2 ok, yes some shoes have european sizes on them. Clothes depend on where you buy them from, pretty much like UK but you will be around your usual size, if you have room in your luggage (or make room!!) stock up before you come out...........

Teresa
Have just been to House of Fraser and bought an enormous suitcase So that's 1 small, 2 medium and one LARGE. Shoes are my problem no doubt there - I'm over 6 months pregnant and still tottering about in heels
Old Feb 19th 2005, 1:59 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=sj oldfield]

Plus, shoe size 5?

Many thanks,

Mrs J

Come and see us at 'Millers'. Opposite Crazy Clarks in the city.
We have loads of lovely clothes and bloody cheap as well!!!

I am a UK shoe size 4/5, here I wear about a size 7.
Clothes sizes are slightly bigger. If you are a 12, then you will probably be a 10 here.

I don't want to be a size 7 shoe, I like being a little itty bitty size 4

Sarah
Old Feb 19th 2005, 2:38 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by teach
I don't want to be a size 7 shoe, I like being a little itty bitty size 4

Sarah
I'm a 7 in the UK, so I'm going to be a silly size...
Old Feb 19th 2005, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bridiej
I'm a 7 in the UK, so I'm going to be a silly size...

Yes size 9 or 10 for us bigfeet I'm afraid!
Agree with proofreader about clothing sizes though, I dont find them bigger here, or could that be too many morning teas??? I'm still lucky to get into a 10 here.
Michaela
Old Feb 19th 2005, 10:38 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Plus, shoe size 5?

Many thanks,

Mrs J

One thing I have found is that, as in the UK, sizes are very variable. I have bought everything from a 10 to 16, depending on the make & the cut. I've found it's essential to try things on - and start with your former UK size, and maybe the ones either side of it. The new fashion in fuller skirts makes it easier, as you can just work out what waist size would work - the hip measurement would be bound to fit.

Same comment goes for shoes btw.

Be warned: underwear sizes are a whole different story......

Good luck!
Anya.