Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ladies Can It Be Done ??????

Ladies Can It Be Done ??????

Old Sep 19th 2004, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

The Welsh Wizard & co is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Ladies Can It Be Done ??????

Been on my own now 6yrs in wales u.k....done ok too.
But.... big question do you think it feasible, possible, achievable etc etc for a woman (41) and daughter(11) to "make it" on her own in W. A , or do you think it HARD and up hill all the way.
must be getting old or something, cos I never was so doubtfull years ago... such a big move I guess AND upheaving my girl as well. ............just got the jitters................................HELP !!!!
Old Sep 19th 2004, 11:15 pm
Badge

Default Re: Ladies Can It Be Done ??????

just do it.

You'll be swatting the local blokes away with a sh*tty stick.

I don't care what people say. I'd rather be poor, broke, single, etc in WA or Australia than in the UK..

Old Sep 19th 2004, 11:27 pm
scoobydoo

Originally Posted by The Welsh Wizard & co
But.... big question do you think it feasible, possible, achievable etc etc for a woman (41) and daughter(11) to "make it" on her own in W. A , or do you think it HARD and up hill all the way.
must be getting old or something, cos I never was so doubtfull years ago... such a big move I guess AND upheaving my girl as well. ............just got the jitters................................HELP !!!!

Wow..if you are even considering it I reckon you must have it in you to give it a good go!!

If I were you though I would do some serious research...especially on work (there are very few jobs here that are in school hours!) and networks of support in the area you want to live. It is hard getting used to no friends for a while at first!

Good luck with what you choose to do.

Old Sep 19th 2004, 11:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
Wow..if you are even considering it I reckon you must have it in you to give it a good go!!

If I were you though I would do some serious research...especially on work (there are very few jobs here that are in school hours!) and networks of support in the area you want to live. It is hard getting used to no friends for a while at first!

Good luck with what you choose to do.
Whereabouts are you off to? Try and get in touch and get to know people on the forum in the same area, then you'll have friendly faces when you get here. Makes a big difference, believe me. Mrs Dagboy was my mentor for the first few weeks - told me everything, made me feel less like a fish out of water!
Old Sep 19th 2004, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ladies Can It Be Done ??????

Yes, I agree with Badg, there's something about being in a sunny spot with blue skies above that makes the other stuff life throws at you bearable. Make sure you have a clear idea of why you want to move to Oz though. Personally I'd rather have a British guy than an Aussie any day. As for the jitters, sometimes you just have to risk it and jump in headfirst. Have you visited Oz before?

Old Sep 19th 2004, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

The Welsh Wizard & co is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Ladies Can It Be Done ??????

Originally Posted by ezzie
Yes, I agree with Badg, there's something about being in a sunny spot with blue skies above that makes the other stuff life throws at you bearable. Make sure you have a clear idea of why you want to move to Oz though. Personally I'd rather have a British guy than an Aussie any day. As for the jitters, sometimes you just have to risk it and jump in headfirst. Have you visited Oz before?
mANY THANKS Ezzie for advice, yes used to live in north Perth but over 12 yrs ago and I was married and a different person then. Big life choice for us both and I will research heaps yet.
thanks again LORI
Old Sep 20th 2004, 12:44 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ezzie
Personally I'd rather have a British guy than an Aussie any day.
12% of the Perth Population were born in the UK, so it may not be that bad over there It's only 6% over here in Brisbane.

Old Sep 20th 2004, 3:33 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

The jobs are here, all you need to do is look in the paper. Aside from that, if you are worried about being a single Mum in Oz, it's not that bad. I know a few and they get on fine.

W.A. has programs in effect that help out single parents with rent, child allowance and a discount cards that gets you concession prices for things like everyday bus fares, entrance to "amusement places" like AQWA and the zoo and even cross country train fares.

I agree with Pollyana about the getting to know people on the forum fist to make a friendship "base" before you arrive. Here in Perth we have the Perth Ladies Club (AKA The Perth Ladies Pole Dancing Guild - tongue in cheek of course!)

It's basically a group of ladies, some new immigrants, some who've been here a while, who get together once a week for coffee and a natter. Having people with at least ONE thing in common (immigration) makes for an easy start and helps boost your confidance about meeting true blue Aussies. It's also a great way to draw on other peoples experiences out here.

Best of luck, whatever you choose!

Siren
Old Sep 20th 2004, 3:57 am
scoobydoo

Originally Posted by Siren
The jobs are here, all you need to do is look in the paper. Aside from that, if you are worried about being a single Mum in Oz, it's not that bad. I know a few and they get on fine.

W.A. has programs in effect that help out single parents with rent, child allowance and a discount cards that gets you concession prices for things like everyday bus fares, entrance to "amusement places" like AQWA and the zoo and even cross country train fares.

I agree with Pollyana about the getting to know people on the forum fist to make a friendship "base" before you arrive. Here in Perth we have the Perth Ladies Club (AKA The Perth Ladies Pole Dancing Guild - tongue in cheek of course!)

It's basically a group of ladies, some new immigrants, some who've been here a while, who get together once a week for coffee and a natter. Having people with at least ONE thing in common (immigration) makes for an easy start and helps boost your confidance about meeting true blue Aussies. It's also a great way to draw on other peoples experiences out here.

Best of luck, whatever you choose!

Siren

Siren...I was just wondering if in Perth you see any jobs that are in school hours as I have had no luck in this neck of the woods!

Old Sep 20th 2004, 5:31 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

There are, but for the most part I've seen casual work. Meaning between the hours of 9 and 3 but no superannuation or paid vacation.
On the bright side, casual jobs pay quite a bit more an hour to make up for those things.
Depends on what you want to do... and what you're qualified for.

Siren
Old Sep 20th 2004, 6:06 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Siren
There are, but for the most part I've seen casual work. Meaning between the hours of 9 and 3 but no superannuation or paid vacation.
A quote from: http://www.job-watch.org.au/index.html (Your Rights at Work - Casual Work)

Should my employer contribute to my superannuation fund if I am casual?

If you earn more than $450 gross per month, your employer should make payments to your superannuation fund (currently at the rate of 9%).
and this from the ATO:
When you work in Australia your employer should generally make superannuation contributions for you into a complying superannuation fund or retirement savings account unless you are:

* paid less than $450 a month, or
* 70 years of age or over, or
* under 18 and working not more than 30 hours per week, or
* covered by a Bilateral Superannuation Agreement, or
* employed for domestic or private work for 30 hours a week or less.

Old Sep 20th 2004, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Lavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really nice

Hi,

I am 43 years old, my daughter is 11 like yours (she'll be 13 by the time we move), I'm a single parent, I 've got neither big funds in the background nor a house to sell, I speak english, but my daughter doesn't (learning it at school now), we're heading for Canberra and I am convinced that "YES, it can be done!!!".

I have a sister there, so that makes thing easier in the beginning, but you've lived there, so you know your way around. It probably won't be easy considering everything, but don't let your age or the fact that you're a single parent put you off.

It would be nice to have some coments from "above 40 single parents" who have already taken the step!

Lavinia
Old Sep 20th 2004, 5:02 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Go Girl! Life can be challenging when there are two of you to bring up a child, but you do it alone. I'm sure you can do it if you want it enough. Where in Wales are you? Best Wishes.
Sarah
Old Sep 20th 2004, 7:29 pm
Perth bound

familytuckers is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Ladies Can It Be Done ??????

Hey! I was a single parent once, and though I LOVE my man, and wouldn't swap my current situation, that time I had back then was wonderful - my son was younger than 11 granted, but we travelled around (predominantly in the UK) and there was no one to make happy or try to appease when I wanted to move on/try something new etc - the world is a place for fantastic adventures, and you have the most important person to share it all with - your little girl! Children are better at changing and adapting than us cynical adults are, so the likelyhood is that she will be fine, so what more to worry about. The cliquey school gate crowd of mothers is not everyones cup of tea (least of all mine), but there are hundreds of parents dropping off and picking up their children at the same time as you, and when I opened my (admittedly closed)mind to saying hi to a few, I realised that they're not so different to me! I have made some great friends through doing precisely that - that's a start for looking for adult social interaction! It is hard to find work in england and Wales that fits perfectly with school hours, but it CAN be done, as it can in WA! you go girl, show those W Aussies your smile and you'll be an honourary local in no time! Good luck, be happy!
Old Sep 20th 2004, 7:36 pm

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

live the dream........and go for it......life is too short

However as some of the others have said do a bit of research, get involved in the threads.

May all your dreams come true and keep us posted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.