Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lack of Culture???

Wikiposts

Lack of Culture???

Old Jan 2nd 2007, 12:03 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lack of Culture???

Just curious to know what this means.

I keep seeing peoples posts admittedly on MBTUK forum that Australia has no culture. Can anyone explain this to me

My understanding of culture is about the way peole lead their lifes through language, clothes, foods and values so how does Australia not have a culture.

While we were there during last August we certainly did not find this. In fact there seemed to be plenty of different and exciting cultures around us.

I don't intend to be boring but it puzzles me as people seem to use this as a criticism of Australia. We hope to be in Brisbane this year so beginning to feel a bit protective over our new home.

Kaye
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 12:07 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lack of Culture???

Originally Posted by wardy2

I keep seeing peoples posts admittedly on MBTUK forum that Australia has no culture. Can anyone explain this to me

My understanding of culture is about the way peole lead their lifes through language, clothes, foods and values so how does Australia not have a culture.

While we were there during last August we certainly did not find this. In fact there seemed to be plenty of different and exciting cultures around us.

I don't intend to be boring but it puzzles me as people seem to use this as a criticism of Australia. We hope to be in Brisbane this year so beginning to feel a bit protective over our new home.

Kaye
Can't comment on Brisbane (wish we were there though)..but the lack of culture here in Perth to me means nothing to do except sit on a beach.
No history here, so the lack of things to see and do is mind boggling. No excitment, no interest = lack of culture.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 12:08 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

I think people mean

- there arent any buildings older than 200 yrs old

- there is no radio 4 (well there is its called ABC )

- you cant walk around and bump into gothic architecture, cathedrals & suchlike

- If you go for a walk in the countryside you need to take your best snake boots and 200 litres of water as well as a sat-nav and support vehicle

There are book shops, art galleries, (huge investment in the arts here in brisbane), newspapers (no tabloids - hurrah ) , a huge range of asian and european quisine, cafe culture aplenty and many many live events to go to (even the caravan-racing ;-) ). we just spent the day at the museum of modern art , brisbane museum, science museum, art gallery, and library - in southbank in brisbane, it was a great day out for the kids all modern brand new facilities packed full of cool accessible art and fine art (each one has its own cafe ;-) ). It was all free. Its hardly the tate modern but it was great.

Culture can mean many things to many people.

Last edited by spalen; Jan 2nd 2007 at 12:10 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 12:16 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replys I did wonder if it had anything to do with historical buildings and such like. To be honest I'm not sure I would miss that {probably take it for granted right now} Where I live we are surrounded by lots of historical things.

Quite looking forward to sitting on beach and doing nothing although I can see how that may get boring after ....10 years.

Kaye
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 12:21 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
I think people mean

- there arent any buildings older than 200 yrs old

- there is no radio 4 (well there is its called ABC )

- If you go for a walk in the countryside you need to take your best snake boots and 200 litres of water as well as a sat-nav and support vehicle

There are book shops, art galleries, (huge investment in the arts here in brisbane), newspapers (no tabloids - hurrah ) , a huge range of asian and european quisine, cafe culture aplenty and many many live events to go to (even the caravan-racing ;-) ). we just spent the day at the museum of modern art , brisbane museum, science museum, art gallery, and library - in southbank in brisbane, it was a great day out for the kids all modern brand new facilities packed full of cool accessible art and fine art (each one has its own cafe ;-) ). It was all free. Its hardly the tate modern but it was great.

Culture can mean many things to many people.
My thoughts exactly (though you put it more eloquently ). There's plenty of culture here if you're prepared to open your mind to it and (in some cases) actually look for it.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I think when people say Australia lacks culture they are referring to it being a relatively 'young' country - as opposed to Britain where there are current traditions, buildings etc which were established hundreds of years ago.

Personally I think culture is to do with people, so everyone coming to Australia brings some of their own culture with them. Hopefully, this leads to a blend of east and west (eg 'fusion' cuisine) and a multi-cultural culture! (?!). Although I suppose that is only likely to happen in populated areas, eg cities. Perhaps in other more isolated areas there is less variety/acceptance?

It will be interesting to see what it is like first hand, as I have heard so many varying opinions from other people.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:28 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Lack of Culture???

Yes you can. Plenty of old churches in Melbourne.

Buzzy
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wardy2

Kaye

As far as I can see the people on the MBTUK site mean Australia does not have any "British" culture, which is not surprising since it is Australia.

Dolly
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy
Old by British standards? Probably not!
In Canada I remember being shown a 'really old' church. It was made of brick. But apparently it was over a hundred years old, gasp! I tried to be polite but it was hard not to laugh and I did have a giggle over it later.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:44 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Buzzy
Yes yes I know... and sydney too , and adelaide, and even brisbane. But there are not 5 cathedrals within 30 miles of each other that were built from solid granite by the son of the bloke that had his head chopped off by henry viii.

and besides -the OP was asknig about brisbane, which is v.different to melbourne. We do have old churches but they are mostly red brick or white clapboard, like old amerikun school houses, quite cute in their way but they are not winchester cathedral-esque in the slightest.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:45 am
ah-beng

Originally Posted by esperanza
Old by British standards? Probably not!
In Canada I remember being shown a 'really old' church. It was made of brick. But apparently it was over a hundred years old, gasp! I tried to be polite but it was hard not to laugh and I did have a giggle over it later.
Yeah its 'old' because the original wiring had to be replaced to bring it up to code
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

monkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Can't comment on Brisbane (wish we were there though)..but the lack of culture here in Perth to me means nothing to do except sit on a beach.
No history here, so the lack of things to see and do is mind boggling. No excitment, no interest = lack of culture.
Culture can mean a lot of things. To me, in this context it has a lot to do with the things we do for fun - food, leisure activities etc. So things like the arts, history and sports would be included.

There's loads to do in Perth. Whatever your interests are. OK so there aren't as many museums, galleries, gigs, theatres as there are in London, but they're certainly there. There are loads of opportunities for sport if that's your thing (not that it's mine :scared: ) and i generally find that people who say there's nothing to do haven't even been looking - they expect the excitement to come to them.

As for there being no history, that's wrong too. OK so there aren't millions of crumbling castles and kings and queens, but that's not the only type of history. Perth has a wide and varied history, from aboriginal history to the history of the pioneers of the 1800s. Add to that social, sporting and political history and you've got a nice meaty subject to wade into (I'm a historian btw)

I'm not one of these people who think that Perth is some kind of Shangri-la, it is what it is, but it bugs me when people make sweeping generalisations about a city that just needs to be explored a little more.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 2:00 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Lack of Culture???

Yes yes I know... and sydney too , and adelaide, and even brisbane. But there are not 5 cathedrals within 30 miles of each other that were built from solid granite by the son of the bloke that had his head chopped off by henry viii.
errr no there aren't. Just like there aren't tropical white sand palm tree fringed beaches in the UK. It's a different country with different stuff.

Buzzy
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

errr no there aren't. Just like there aren't tropical white sand palm tree fringed beaches in the UK. It's a different country with different stuff.

Buzzy
I agree, I'm not going to Australia to look at the churches! I'm amazed at the amount of people that are expecting Australia to be just like the UK and are upset when it isn't. Just because Australians speak english, it doesn't make Australia England, and just because it does not have 600 year old churches, doesn't mean it has no history or culture. It has Australian history and Australian culture.

Dolly
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dollydaydream2
I agree, I'm not going to Australia to look at the churches! I'm amazed at the amount of people that are expecting Australia to be just like the UK and are upset when it isn't. Just because Australians speak english, it doesn't make Australia England, and just because it does not have 600 year old churches, doesn't mean it has no history or culture. It has Australian history and Australian culture.

Dolly
I think it was in the Immigration Musuem in Adelaide (or may have been in Liverpool?) where newly arriveds in Perth expressed their bitter disappointment that there werent turnpikes, extensive towns and apple orchards like home.

And we're talking 1850's.

These early migrants didnt do 'reccies' and only some were in the position of being able to afford to go home (if they survived the voyage).

The cultural contribution of these early migrants is significant if not so visible (as built environment).

WW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.