Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lack of choice in Australia?

Lack of choice in Australia?

Old Sep 30th 2006, 1:52 am
Banned

Rug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud of
Default Lack of choice in Australia?

I'm, sure this has been brought up many times previously, but a few of us ex-poms were talking last night about a friend who ent back to the UK on hols and noticed the great difference between there and here with the choice of things and services you can get.

More supermarkets which are much more modern inside and a huge range of consumer items than 'Woolies' or Coles for example.

Yes it maybe a whinge but why is this country (esp in WA) so lagging behind?

We cant even get freeview in Perth!
Old Sep 30th 2006, 2:35 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Lack of choice in Australia?

Originally Posted by Rug13y
I'm, sure this has been brought up many times previously, but a few of us ex-poms were talking last night about a friend who ent back to the UK on hols and noticed the great difference between there and here with the choice of things and services you can get.

More supermarkets which are much more modern inside and a huge range of consumer items than 'Woolies' or Coles for example.

The place is full of foreigners to. Can't believe it.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I've not found a lack of choice at all in the supermarkets or anywhere else for that matter.

The only thing I haven't been able to get here is Broadband, but there are plans to put it in apparantly.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 2:42 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Yes there is not such a great range. This can be largely attributed to cramming 60 million people in a country with the largest disposible wealth thats the size of a postage stamp (the UK). Naturally the range of good stocked will increase.

I dont believe its behind the times. Its called market forces.

Perth seems to be covered for digital free to view TV - http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp

Are you outlying or rural or something ?
Old Sep 30th 2006, 3:40 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Lack of choice in Australia?

Originally Posted by Wendy
I've not found a lack of choice at all in the supermarkets or anywhere else for that matter.

The only thing I haven't been able to get here is Broadband, but there are plans to put it in apparantly.
You must be pretty far out of Adelaide if you can't get broadband.

What's your closest suburb?
Old Sep 30th 2006, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

...and don't they all drive so badly, compared to the UK where everybody obeys speed limits, doesn't tailgate blah blah
Old Sep 30th 2006, 4:38 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

People don't immigrate to OZ for its supermarkets or consumer choice. OZ has a much smaller population which explains why.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Sep 30th 2006 at 4:46 am.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
If supermarkets are so important to you then don't immigrate to OZ.
why do people compare uk to oz its a different country
Old Sep 30th 2006, 5:24 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wintersgills
why do people compare uk to oz its a different country
Because they never really left ...
Old Sep 30th 2006, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hutch
Just a personal opinion (and I stress this is from me not my husband) but it would seem that sometimes people just want England with better weather!

If what they sell in the supermarket is your biggest complaint I would suggest that you have a good life, and you need to get some perspective.

We are an isolated country with 20 million people the uk has 60 million and the whole of Europe is within the distance of Melbourne to Perth.

Regards
Abby
Old Sep 30th 2006, 5:47 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hutch

Don't we know plenty like that.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 6:38 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
No you don't

Broadband Blackspots
Old Sep 30th 2006, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future

We don't live that far from Adelaide and we can't get broadband, however we could when we lived 2 streets away, it is very annoying to have to go backwards. It is well known in my suburb (Hallett Cove) that it is hit and miss.
People will always compare, it is human nature, it isn't necessarily whinging.
I don't suppose anyone else in the world does it then?

Julie
Old Sep 30th 2006, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

What's your closest suburb?

Not really that far, we are in the Salisbury's area just above Pooraka

Here is the availabily maps, I can get BigPond Wireless Broadband Mobile Card Only Coverage (CDMA1X non broadband speeds) apparantly

https://www.bigpond.com/internet-pla...ty/default.asp

Telsra will not upgrade our line here as there hasn't been enough demand.

My Aunt is a bit peed off, because she actually paid for broadband cables to be put into the new house she is building. Well the wires have gone into the house but there is nowhere to connect them to.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 11:26 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Lack of choice in Australia?

Originally Posted by jib
Originally Posted by Wendy
Not really that far, we are in the Salisbury's area just above Pooraka

Here is the availabily maps, I can get BigPond Wireless Broadband Mobile Card Only Coverage (CDMA1X non broadband speeds) apparantly

https://www.bigpond.com/internet-pla...ty/default.asp

Telsra will not upgrade our line here as there hasn't been enough demand.
Originally Posted by sunnyj
We don't live that far from Adelaide and we can't get broadband, however we could when we lived 2 streets away, it is very annoying to have to go backwards. It is well known in my suburb (Hallett Cove) that it is hit and miss.
Crikey, that's grim! Had no idea it was so bad. :scared:

Wendy, I have some mates who live in a suburb just round the corner from you: Parafield Gardens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.