Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Labrador Southport

Labrador Southport

Old May 5th 2009, 4:31 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Labrador Southport

Hi,

How many people on here live in or near Labrador near Southport, i like what i see, but i have not visited the place nor have i lived there, so any one want to put their two penneth in, please feel free?

My wants;

Close to the Gold Coast Hospital
Close to bars and takeaways
Close to the beach
Close to where i can launch a boat
Not rowdy, but quiet enough to live in tranquility
The sun only shines
It never rains
The beer is always cold

Any thoughts?

Old May 5th 2009, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Labrador Southport

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
How many people on here live in or near Labrador near Southport, i like what i see, but i have not visited the place nor have i lived there, so any one want to put their two penneth in, please feel free?

My wants;

Close to the Gold Coast Hospital
Close to bars and takeaways
Close to the beach
Close to where i can launch a boat
Not rowdy, but quiet enough to live in tranquility
The sun only shines
It never rains
The beer is always cold

Any thoughts?

Keith,

We lived in Parkwood, which is next to Labrador some ten years ago. A decent enough area and close enough to Southport for all that you need.

there has been a lot of development of late so that does but more pressure on roads etc. but wouldn't mind moving back there myself - eventually - if possible.
Old May 5th 2009, 8:14 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
Keith,

We lived in Parkwood, which is next to Labrador some ten years ago. A decent enough area and close enough to Southport for all that you need.

there has been a lot of development of late so that does but more pressure on roads etc. but wouldn't mind moving back there myself - eventually - if possible.
Thankyou very much my friend, Big Carma sent!!!
Old May 5th 2009, 8:20 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

I did a survey a couple of years ago for Gold Coast city council. Labrador was a high crime area and in socio economic terms, the cheapest place to live on the Gold Coast.

It might have changed since then so maybe do some research on't internet
Old May 5th 2009, 11:07 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of work going on in Labrador, updating roads etc. Getting better all the time. Ticks all the boxes except the no rain bit. It rains a fair bit here, which is why the green areas are very green If you're looking long term, I'd say it's one of the best areas to get into, should get a bargain and then sit back and watch the area pick up.
Old May 6th 2009, 2:38 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

I rather like the area. It can be rough, but has the 'charm' that the newer suburbs /develpments are lacking. Lots of older houses and mature trees. It doesn't have a 'cafe strip' that I know of. Access to the 'Seaway' rather than the open sea, lots of boats on the Seaway, especially on the Weekend.

As Penny said it's on the up.
Old May 6th 2009, 4:02 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I would tend to agree with sonlymewalter. labrador is near the seaway and appears to be in a great location when you look at the map, but it has a very high crime rate. This may or may not change in future.

To be fair though, it's all relative. Perhaps where you live now has more crime issues? who knows...

So going back to your original post.... perhaps you won't get the "tranquility" you are looking for, living in labrador.

but i could be wrong.
Old May 6th 2009, 6:08 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
I rather like the area. It can be rough, but has the 'charm' that the newer suburbs /develpments are lacking. Lots of older houses and mature trees. It doesn't have a 'cafe strip' that I know of. Access to the 'Seaway' rather than the open sea, lots of boats on the Seaway, especially on the Weekend.

As Penny said it's on the up.
nearest "cafe strip" would be marine parade theres also a good public boat slipway there too , and an excellent fishmonger / chip shop

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...99999999999999

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...76904&t=h&z=14

it does have a rep for crime but as its on the up i think the crims will move on, could be an excellent place for long term investment

Last edited by steve`o; May 6th 2009 at 6:11 am.
Old May 6th 2009, 12:05 pm
Banned

Cheers Lads and ladettes!

Much appreciated, cl@ma's all round fill yeh boots, any more input welcome, happy dogging!!
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Really depends which end of southport you live, we lived closed to benowa / bundall end, which was so close to everything very safe area, best schools & you cold walk to hospital, it was only 20 mins walk, surfer paradise again 20 mins walk 5 mins drive if chose the car, everything you want on your door step basically.

I was told by the people who never lived in Southport the area was rough but never saw it myself.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

A older area of the gc. which has the potential to be a great area. has all the things you stated but i would say not the best area but not the worst. then again the worst areas (or so called) are not even close to any bad areas in the uk
musgrave avenue (turpin corner) has a little cafe-culture area which has a nice look to it.