Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

L ......learning to drive...... P

L ......learning to drive...... P

Old Jan 7th 2005, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Pommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud of
Exclamation L ......learning to drive...... P

One of my children is going to be 17 this year the year that she would have been able to drive! God help us. one day at legoland on the toy cars was enough! :scared: . So the law of Britain say that you can start driving at the age of 17 but..... and it's a big but to those who are 17 this year and probably a relief to their parents. If you were born in 1987 then you can start driving at 17 however if you were born in 1988 then you can't start until you are 18.

Can anyone tell me what the australian age is to start driving and if it changes just like the UK because it is part of the commonwealth????

Thanks
Pommy babe
Old Jan 7th 2005, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

kirsten is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: L ......learning to drive...... P

Originally Posted by Pommy babe
One of my children is going to be 17 this year the year that she would have been able to drive! God help us. one day at legoland on the toy cars was enough! :scared: . So the law of Britain say that you can start driving at the age of 17 but..... and it's a big but to those who are 17 this year and probably a relief to their parents. If you were born in 1987 then you can start driving at 17 however if you were born in 1988 then you can't start until you are 18.

Can anyone tell me what the australian age is to start driving and if it changes just like the UK because it is part of the commonwealth????

Thanks
Pommy babe
dont know how true this is but my hubby (who grew up in WA) learned to drive while he was 16 although you cant take your test until you turn 17....

my son is 15 and is already putting money away for his forst car!!! :scared:
Old Jan 7th 2005, 1:01 pm
Pej
Forum Regular

Pej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nice
Question Re: L ......learning to drive...... P

however if you were born in 1988 then you can't start until you are 18.
Just wondered if this is correct? I've never heard it before.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

hi,i was thinking about posting something similar myself,mt daughter will be 17 in march,and i was wonedering what the driveing age is in oz,our friends emigrated to canada last year and they can learn to drive as part of the school curiculum there i wondered if it was the same in oz, we re going to brisbane in the summer.

tracey.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 7:57 pm
ian
Ping Pom

ian is an unknown quantity at this point

NSW seems the same as Kirsten said for WA, that you can start learning at 16, but not take the test until 17:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...ex.html?llid=1

ian
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Thanks
Pommy babe
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263816
might help
Tara
Old Jul 4th 2005, 3:04 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

No need to learn to drive, just go to the fair, spend a fiver on the dodgems, and now your a better driver than most Australians.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 11:33 pm
ABCDiamond

Minimum Driving Age & Learner Drivers

QLD - In Queensland a learner can start to drive at the age of 16yrs and 6 months, You must drive with someone who holds and has held for at least one year an open driver licence for that type of vehicle and you must have a zero blood alcohol content if under 25 years of age.

NSW - To get your learner licence you need to be 16 years of age or older, and be supervised at all times by the holder of a full Australian driver licence and not exceed zero blood alcohol concentration (in effect, this means you cannot drink before driving).

WA - You can get a permit to drive a car when you turn 16, but if you are under the age of 18 when you apply, you must have a letter of consent signed by your parent or legal guardian. When you are learning, you MUST ALWAYS be accompanied by either: a licensed driving instructor or a person who holds a current and valid licence and has held the class of licence specified on your permit for at least 4 years.

SA - You must be 16 years or older before you can apply for a Learner’s Permit, You must be accompanied by the holder of a full Driver's Licence (not being a Provisional or Probationary Licence) of the class appropriate to the vehicle being driven by the learner driver.

VIC - You must be at least 16 years old to obtain a car learner permit. The accompanying driver must hold a current full Victorian car driver licence, or a non - Victorian car driver licence (including overseas licence) that has been held for at least two (2) or more years for the category of motor vehicle being driven by the learner driver.

http://www.abcdiamond.com.au/info_driving.htm

Old Jul 4th 2005, 11:39 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

The licence age depends on your state - see the following link

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/...834734867.html

NSW: 17

Victoria: 18

South Australia: 16.5

Northern Territory: 17

Tasmania: 17

Western Australia: 17