Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kwinana WA Anyone live around here whats it like?

Kwinana WA Anyone live around here whats it like?

Old Mar 16th 2007, 1:02 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kwinana WA Anyone live around here whats it like?

I work in a GP practice in Parmelia.
Most of our patients live in and around Parmelia, Calista, Leda, Kwinana.
Again in the main the patients are lovely- and not what I would consider rough although there are some that are. The housing and infrastructure is nice in appearance- always attention to detail is made when building suburbs here in WA. However when you have been here a while you can then spot the rough looking houses...not a snob at all but it is more apparent when you have been here longer. Having said that if I drove around where I used to live I would definitely say that that area is rough too.
I personally wouldnt live there as I have heard very scary tales of things going on at the shopping centres etc. BUT that kind of thing happens in the UK too.

The outskirts of the Kwinana area are very nice more semi rural and there is a village being built in Wellard.Bertram is a nice new area too (but being new obviously doesnt necessarily mean that the occupants are ones that you would want to live next door to I know )

I live in Port Kennedy and the crime rate here is low IMO.
When we arrived we didn't want to live too far south of Perth as we thought we would need to go there.....We now wish that we had moved nearer Mandurah as we prefer it there but wouldnt want to upheave the kids even now as been here 3 1/2 years.

At the end of the day what I consider not a nice area you may think its ok...depends where you have been living yourself doesnt it

Good luck with your move
Old Mar 16th 2007, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Three Legs
However, SOR ain't for us ... It's a POM thang
Funny aintit.

The Township of Kwinana with it's four suburbs of Medina, Orelia, Callista and Permelia were built specifically for the POMS that were coming then. It was the first time in Perth's development that a town with suburbs was built specifically for migrants.

Sure, it's changed quite a bit since then as the migrants became citizens and some moved out and other folks moved in.

However your comment about "SOR ain't for us ... It's a POM thang" just goes to show how little you know of the southern towns and their development.

Cheers
Bob in Bull Creek
Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BullcreekBob
Ignore the posts from people who are getting the Kwinana industrial strip mixed up with the township of Kwinana, they are just demonstrating their lack of knowledge of the area.

Go for it !!!!

Cheers
Bob in Bull Creek
true, posters mix up the area. the township is far away from the industrial area, they can't even see a chimney even if they wanted to.

The positive points about Kwinana/Leda and the other subs that belong to the Kwinana shire are the open space, the many and large trees and large block. You have easy access to the freeway to Perth and around the Shire is all open space in the direction to the hills with large properties and many horses all over the place. It is completely different to the new estates which you find NOR along the coast. It will take you ca 20 min by car and you are in Freo.

You have 1 hour less to drive if you want to spent a holiday down south.

There is lot of development going on (new estate) around the new train station. This will make the area more attractive.

I believe that overall they have a good council who has a good understanding of the issues in the area. From what I hear the town has very good community spirit which you won't find in legoland simply because many people live there for a longer time although this is changing.

If your intention is do up old houses and make a living out of it, i think it is not a bad place. As Suzette said, there are good schools in close proximity of Kwinana.

You have access to stunning beaches, mostly very shallow and suitable for young children.

The bad points.
Kwinana has like Rockingham a bad reputation amongst Perthers which has something to do with past. Mostly people comment on the area but have never been down here.

In the shire lives a higher proportion of unemployed, low income earners, retirees, older migrants and Aboriginals (not as many as in Balga or Armadale for instance). So, you have to be careful that you don't overcapitalize.

Cheers
Evelin

Last edited by Evelin; Mar 16th 2007 at 8:22 am.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by yvsie
I live in Port Kennedy and the crime rate here is low IMO.
here is the crime statistics for Perth. Some people will be surprised when they see what's going on in their suburb, eg Doubleview in comparison to suburbs where one would expect more activities.

http://www.police.wa.gov.au/AboutUs/...rimeStatistics

just as an example, look up burglaries of dwellings between Feb 2006 and Feb 2007 in Leda, Calista and Doubleview, NOR rather coastal, it's quite shocking.

Kwinana had one (1) burglary in the whole year.

Last edited by Evelin; Mar 16th 2007 at 8:36 am.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:55 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Its a shit hole, dont live there.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:57 am
Emily, Luke and Libby

lewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud of

Sounds like a good start Sunbather

We are actually looking at the idea of buying a old house with land and knocking it down building new, Thinks this will be a good idea as the plots are alot bigger might even be able to squeeze 2 houses in.

Kids are only 2 and 4 (nearly 5) so a long way of high school age, any info on Pre Primary and day care for little one would be useful (being cheeky now I know)

Thanks

Kate
Old Mar 16th 2007, 10:04 am
Emily, Luke and Libby

lewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Evelin
here is the crime statistics for Perth. Some people will be surprised when they see what's going on in their suburb, eg Doubleview in comparison to suburbs where one would expect more activities.

http://www.police.wa.gov.au/AboutUs/...rimeStatistics

just as an example, look up burglaries of dwellings between Feb 2006 and Feb 2007 in Leda, Calista and Doubleview, NOR rather coastal, it's quite shocking.

Kwinana had one (1) burglary in the whole year.
Thanks for that Evelin. Not such a bad area after all then. Its worse where we are at the mo.

Kate
Old Mar 16th 2007, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lewandkate

We are actually looking at the idea of buying a old house with land and knocking it down building new, Thinks this will be a good idea as the plots are alot bigger might even be able to squeeze 2 houses in.
It is not as easy as you might think.

Each Shire in WA has a Town Planning Scheme, which says what house density is allowed in which area. Eg, R20 means only one (1) house is allowed on a block of land. If the area where you want to built two houses or more on one block it must have an R-rating of 40 (R40).

This can change, but you don't know if or when.

here you lcan ook up the R-rating of all subs in Perth.

http://www.wapc.wa.gov.au/Region+sch...hemes/529.aspx

If somebody thinks that what I say is wrong, pls clarify. The rating is also explained somewhere on the web, eg in regard to minimum land area for one unit/house etc.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 10:59 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Its a shit hole, dont live there.
don't mince your words will you
Old Mar 16th 2007, 11:14 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
don't mince your words will you
Never
Old Mar 16th 2007, 11:31 am
Paula Eddie and Family

Paula223 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by lewandkate
Hi,
Hope some you nice people can help. We fly over 6weeks today
Have been looking at real estate in and around the Kwinana area. Can anyone tell me what the schools are like? which areas are nicer i.e Leda, Calista etc?

Thanks
Kate
HI KATE MY NAME IS PAULA AND I SUGGEST YOU LOOK AT BALDIVIS/SETTLERSHILLS,THATS WERE MY SISTER AND I BOUGHT WHEN WE MOVED FROM THE UK,ITS LOVELY AND ALOT OF POMMS HERE SO IT HELPS TO SETTLE,DONT GO TO LEDA
Old Mar 16th 2007, 11:39 am
Paula Eddie and Family

HI KATE ME AGAIN,PAULA.
MY FAMILY AND I EMERGRATED HERE FROM DROYLSDEN MANCHESTER NEARLY 2YRS AGO NOW.WE RENTED FIRST IN A PLACE CALLED SUCCESS THEN BOUGHT LAND AND BUILT OUR HOME ON IT IN BALDIVIS SETTLERSHILL ROCKINGHAM,GO ON THE WEB www.stocklands.com.au its a lovely new estate just being done you will love it,i suggest the 2 places you said,give a miss.anymore help just let me know.its georgeous here,and we have about 25 pommie couples we know now with there childrenm too,us mums are from 30 to 44yrs old children are off every age.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Paula223
HI KATE MY NAME IS PAULA AND I SUGGEST YOU LOOK AT BALDIVIS/SETTLERSHILLS,THATS WERE MY SISTER AND I BOUGHT WHEN WE MOVED FROM THE UK,ITS LOVELY AND ALOT OF POMMS HERE SO IT HELPS TO SETTLE,DONT GO TO LEDA
Your missing the point, I dont think thet they wish to live in Little Pom Land.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 11:51 am
Paula Eddie and Family

didnt say it was little pomm land but wen i first arrived here 2and half yrs ago i found it a little easier having people from back home to guide us were to go and different things to look for rather than panic cos i was soooo far from home nothing to do with little pommie land
thanks
Old Mar 16th 2007, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paula223
yes, I also believe that you missed the point. I'm not living in Kwinana but know the area and for the purpose they initially want to move there it is not a bad idea. I don't think that they will spent the rest of their life there, a few possible reasons I have mentioned (a high porportion of the residents live on small incomes, Kate will understand what that means).

I love Settlers Hills, its beautiful but cost a lot more, the blocks are smaller and the potential in making money by renovating an older style house is surely given in the Kwinana Shire. Settlers Hills is new, very well maintained front gardens, nothing to complain about. Kate possibly doesn't have the money to buy in Baldivis.

I would live in Peppermint Grove if I could afford it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.