Kumon

Old Jul 27th 2008, 9:34 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Kumon

For those of you that have Mathletics......

When you purchase it for your child do you only get access to their specific grade level? I think I saw in th FAQ section that you can change the level up to 6 times in a year.

I'm just wondering how it working because I'm a math teacher (stay at home mom at the moment) and I'd love to have a look through the upper grades and get a feel for the curriculum here. Also I'm curious as to how it would work if you had 2 kids at different grade levels? Would you be able to access both all year or would you need 2 subscriptions?
Old Jul 28th 2008, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
For those of you that have Mathletics......

When you purchase it for your child do you only get access to their specific grade level? I think I saw in th FAQ section that you can change the level up to 6 times in a year.

I'm just wondering how it working because I'm a math teacher (stay at home mom at the moment) and I'd love to have a look through the upper grades and get a feel for the curriculum here. Also I'm curious as to how it would work if you had 2 kids at different grade levels? Would you be able to access both all year or would you need 2 subscriptions?
You need a separate subscription for each child.

You can then vary the year level - as you've pointed out - 6 times in a year (i.e. the life of the subscription)

Within any one year's course there is also the option to try harder and easier work - giving a bit more flexibility.

Curriculum - I think - is based on NSW - which is a blessing for those of us that live in WA.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

thanks for the helpful replies guys....

so with Mathematics, assuming your child is more advanced in Math, does that mean he can do Math exercises for the next years level?
Old Jul 28th 2008, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

What about the uk wesite which is free, http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/
for all levels http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/revision/

Now I know it is a UK site but they will benefit from any form of revision?? Oh and it has Science and English too.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by obiwan
thanks for the helpful replies guys....

so with Mathematics, assuming your child is more advanced in Math, does that mean he can do Math exercises for the next years level?
Yes.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

h1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to all

Hi
I have 2 kids who go to kumon - both for different reasons. My 8 year old girl struggles with learning but especially maths. She tends to forget a lot she is taught at school. The rote style learning at kumon agrees with her in that the basic mental maths is drilled into them. It is a slow process for her and it has taken a year to get to the stage that she can add or subtract any number from 1-10 from any other number, in her head.
On the other hand, I have put my 6 year old son into Kumon, not for a remedial reason, but to improve his maths skills and he is progressing pretty fast. He has been doing it for 3 months and has an aptitude for maths so will get better results quicker.
Not surprisingly, my son enjoys kumon and likes doing his books to move up to the next level but my daughter hates it as it is hard work for her.
They do one maths book per night which should take approx 10 mins with 2-3 mins to mark. They go to the centre twice per week and the cost is $100 per month per child per subject.
IMO it is well worth the time and effort for both children. They will get different benefits from it depending on ability. My daughter has stopped saying she is "no good at maths" and has started to believe a bit more in herself. She is finding it easier to memorise the times tables and apply these to division.
I started the kids with the premise that we would try it and see what happens and a year later we are still going. No harm in trying eh?
Old Jul 29th 2008, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by h1tvd
Hi
I have 2 kids who go to kumon - both for different reasons. My 8 year old girl struggles with learning but especially maths. She tends to forget a lot she is taught at school. The rote style learning at kumon agrees with her in that the basic mental maths is drilled into them. It is a slow process for her and it has taken a year to get to the stage that she can add or subtract any number from 1-10 from any other number, in her head.
On the other hand, I have put my 6 year old son into Kumon, not for a remedial reason, but to improve his maths skills and he is progressing pretty fast. He has been doing it for 3 months and has an aptitude for maths so will get better results quicker.
Not surprisingly, my son enjoys kumon and likes doing his books to move up to the next level but my daughter hates it as it is hard work for her.
They do one maths book per night which should take approx 10 mins with 2-3 mins to mark. They go to the centre twice per week and the cost is $100 per month per child per subject.
IMO it is well worth the time and effort for both children. They will get different benefits from it depending on ability. My daughter has stopped saying she is "no good at maths" and has started to believe a bit more in herself. She is finding it easier to memorise the times tables and apply these to division.
I started the kids with the premise that we would try it and see what happens and a year later we are still going. No harm in trying eh?
An 8 year old who is starting to memorise her timestables to use in division sounds pretty above-normal to me.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

h1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to all

As I am sure you are well aware an ability to rote learn is not an aptitude for mathematics or its application.

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
An 8 year old who is starting to memorise her timestables to use in division sounds pretty above-normal to me.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

As I am sure you are well aware an ability to rote learn is not an aptitude for mathematics or its application.
Quite, although kids who really struggle won't have a cat-in-hells chance of learning timestables and certainly won't be to able to reverse the concept for division.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

I beg to differ. Not wanting to go into too much detail but my daughter has mastered the times tables and can apply it to division. What she cant do is apply this to problem solving. She has poor perceptual reasoning skills and as such is failing maths at school.

Quite, although kids who really struggle won't have a cat-in-hells chance of learning timestables and certainly won't be to able to reverse the concept for division.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

I beg to differ. Not wanting to go into too much detail but my daughter has mastered the times tables and can apply it to division. What she cant do is apply this to problem solving. She has poor perceptual reasoning skills and as such is failing maths at school.
OK - well obviously I can't comment on the specific learning difficulty of your daughter.

In very general terms though, reading a maths problem (Peter has 40 apples and he has three friends, how many apples will each friend get if Peter includes himself etc etc) and then asking "Is this a division, a multiplication or an addition which needs to be done?"; I always thought was a relatively higher order thinking skill for an 8 year old....

BTW - I assume that the perceptual reasoning difficulty also affects her English comprehension?
Old Jul 30th 2008, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

The maths problem you quoted is an example of what is being taught in grade 4 at my kids school - assuming this is the same for all schools Australia wide then it is just basic grade 4 maths applicable to all 8/9 year olds.

OK - well obviously I can't comment on the specific learning difficulty of your daughter.

In very general terms though, reading a maths problem (Peter has 40 apples and he has three friends, how many apples will each friend get if Peter includes himself etc etc) and then asking "Is this a division, a multiplication or an addition which needs to be done?"; I always thought was a relatively higher order thinking skill for an 8 year old....

BTW - I assume that the perceptual reasoning difficulty also affects her English comprehension?
Old Jul 30th 2008, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

The maths problem you quoted is an example of what is being taught in grade 4 at my kids school - assuming this is the same for all schools Australia wide then it is just basic grade 4 maths applicable to all 8/9 year olds.
Yes - probably basic in all states apart from WA - where it's extension at Year 12.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Katehn will become famous soon enoughKatehn will become famous soon enough

Hi,
has anyone heard of this mathlemagic computer program?
We had a guy come round, the program seemed ok it is supposed to cover from year 1 to year 12 it costs 6000 dollors. aparently you can also phone the tutor if you have a question.

i've just been reading all about everyones experiences with kumon and kip mcgrath and am thinking either one of these might be better than this program.

Thanks kate
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

wendyer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by obiwan
thanks yvonne, would you have their website? cant seem to find it in my searches...cheers
Hi, I am new to this site, but I would like to share what I know about Beestar. Their website is http://www.beestar.org/index.jsp .

My daughter has been doing the free math for one year and half, and she really loves it! The questions are short and easy to answer, and kids don't need to think too hard. So that helps to build the confidence. I registered reading for her last semester. Hope she can do better with Beestar!