Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Krisflyer points

Krisflyer points

Old Dec 12th 2009, 11:27 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Krisflyer points

I have quite a few Krisflyer points, from a return trip to Australia in 2003. What can I do with these, can they be transferred on to my Qantas Frequent Flyer card or anything?
Old Dec 12th 2009, 6:44 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Krisflyer points

Nope sorry. You cannot transfer points to another carrier. Although they are part of star alliance and you can earn points on any other star alliance carrier too, such as Air NZ. Personally I've switched to Virgin Atlantics flying club since I can earn and spend points on most star alliance carriers, such as Singapore, but also Virgin Blue, V Australia and Virgin America giving me the ability to earn miles on most routes.

How many points do you have ? If its just not enough to get an upgrade or flight but you have 50% or more for the amount required then you can top up the points with cash and then book a reward flight or upgrade on a leg of a future journey for example.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 8:08 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

20, 866?
Old Dec 12th 2009, 8:33 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore to London Economy to Business upgrade is 55,000.

Australia to London return award flight is 90,000.

I'd probably just hold onto the points. Although you might want to think about linking a credit card or something to your points. It really can be worth it as the weekly shopping, fuel and all sorts can really add up. Amex for example you earn reward points which can be exchanged to Qantas or Singapore miles but you can keep them on your card until you actually want to exchange them.

Frequent flyer points have paid for a number of trips over the years and they do really add up to a lot more than the other "awards" on credit cards. For example, I flew Australia to London first class for $900 in taxes this year. The cost of that fare is normally $14,000 (yes the price of a car!). Or I could have redeemed points for $1000 in Myer vouchers for the same amount. I know which one I think is more bang for your buck!

I don't think people really work out the best way to accrue miles so just end up wasting them. A fact which the airlines bank on I reckon.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 9:32 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Centurion

Australia to London return award flight is 90,000.

I'd probably just hold onto the points. Although you might want to think about linking a credit card or something to your points. It really can be worth it as the weekly shopping, fuel and all sorts can really add up. Amex for example you earn reward points which can be exchanged to Qantas or Singapore miles but you can keep them on your card until you actually want to exchange them.

Frequent flyer points have paid for a number of trips over the years and they do really add up to a lot more than the other "awards" on credit cards. For example, I flew Australia to London first class for $900 in taxes this year. The cost of that fare is normally $14,000 (yes the price of a car!). Or I could have redeemed points for $1000 in Myer vouchers for the same amount. I know which one I think is more bang for your buck!

I don't think people really work out the best way to accrue miles so just end up wasting them. A fact which the airlines bank on I reckon.
Is that a Doberman I spy in your photie?
Old Dec 12th 2009, 10:32 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Are you sure?

I know a friend of mine who has been Gold KF for years paid an outrageous amount of miles to upgrade into business on the A380 as only standard and full awards are available on the A380 and 77W - these are the only planes that fly to London.

KF website says for o/w upgrade from Eco to Bus SIN to LHR:

One-way Standard Upgrade: Economy to Business Class 90000
One-way Full Upgrade: Economy to Business Class 235000

The upgrade was also not available on the cheapest available economy fare so he had to buy a more expensive fare for the privilege!

Jen, I think you are going to be based around SEQ? You can get a one way saver upgrade to business between BNE and SIN for 35000 as that aircraft is not being protected in the same way.

If I was you I'd look at a way of ensuring your miles don't expire by creditting the odd car hire or hotel stay every so often. Credit some more miles next time you fly on a Star Alliance ailrine and hopefully get enough for that BNE to SIN upgrade. Then forget about Krisflyer and find a more generous frequent flyer program - most are!!

Last edited by bcworld; Dec 12th 2009 at 10:40 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 10:39 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I have quite a few Krisflyer points, from a return trip to Australia in 2003.
Actually Jen, Krisflyer points expire after 3 years....if you haven't credited any points to the account since 2003....are you sure you still have them???
Old Dec 12th 2009, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Is that a Doberman I spy in your photie?
Yes, My Dobermouse