Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

KNOX SUBURBS (FERNTREE, BORONIA, LYSTERFIELD)

KNOX SUBURBS (FERNTREE, BORONIA, LYSTERFIELD)

Old Mar 22nd 2008, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

MUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really nice
Default KNOX SUBURBS (FERNTREE, BORONIA, LYSTERFIELD)

Can anyine offer any on the ground info on the Knox Suburbs. For Melbourne this looks like our best bet. Reasonable pricing, open spaces, close to work areas ?

So whats it really like, especially with 2 pre-school kids in tow. Are there areas more suited to young families and others for older / retired people ?

Are there any 'rough' areas in the county ?

Thanks PAUL
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: KNOX SUBURBS (FERNTREE, BORONIA, LYSTERFIELD)

Paul

Try here http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...hp?showforum=1

Bordy lives in FG.

Ian
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 12:16 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MUST LEAVE UK
Can anyine offer any on the ground info on the Knox Suburbs. For Melbourne this looks like our best bet. Reasonable pricing, open spaces, close to work areas ?

So whats it really like, especially with 2 pre-school kids in tow. Are there areas more suited to young families and others for older / retired people ?

Thanks PAUL
apparently rowville near there is 'rough', but ave been through it lots, and it looks fine to me, although i know the secondary school has a really bad reputation as lots of friends of my teen comes from rowvill but go to school in glen waverley (where we live)

Houses in rowville are lovely and not went up much in price , i assume this is due to the area having a bad rep, however sometimes i wish we lived there as we are constantly ferrying teen to and from rowville.
Also my younger daughter goes to a great drama group there on a sat morning

but as ian said look at the britvics website, you will get lots and lots of info about those suburbs there,

also knox has a great shopping mall, if thats any help at all, lol
ju
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 1:22 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Yeah we have lived in Knox for 8 years now.
I think Rowvilles problem is just a high number of teenagers & not a lot for them to do locally. Rowville doesn't have a train line either so the kids tend to hang around & sometimes get into a little bother but in saying that I don't think its a major problem & Rowville has some great properties.

Boronia I'd probably give a miss at the moment.

Lysterfield again is a bit far from train line & has some very expensive properties, its mainly a housing estate with no shops although it has a nice Mosque if your into islam.

You should look at Ferntree Gully, Upper Gully, Bayswater North & The Basin I reckon.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in The Basin, which is just great - I'll respond more later - have to cook Easter lunch now
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 1:56 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Crow
I'm in The Basin, which is just great - I'll respond more later - have to cook Easter lunch now
I'll be over in 15 mins.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 4:04 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bordy
I'll be over in 15 mins.
me to
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - we've already eaten it
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:02 am
The Godfather

Sorry - we've already eaten it
BUGGA.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MUST LEAVE UK

Thanks PAUL
I live in The Basin, which is the next suburb along from Boronia. It's a small village and semi-rural. I think Knox is a great area to live in as it is central to many areas and, as you say, still has affordable house prices. The only areas I know fairly well, apart from The Basin, are Boronia, Bayswater and Ferntree Gully.

Boronia is a mixed bag - but there are some nice areas/streets and property. It becomes quite apparent when you're driving around, which are the less desirable spots. Boronia and Bayswater both have a bit of a rough reputation and there is isolated problems - not that I have witnessed any myself. The train stations seem to lure any anti-social behaviour.

Again, with Ferntree Gully there are a few spots that are not so nice - which is probably the case with most suburbs. But there are also some lovely streets and areas - like where Bordy is! All the above suburbs have a real mix of ages - from young families to retired people.

All the above suburbs have great parks and facilities - shops, sporting, transports links etc. There are also many kinders and primary schools to choose from.

The Basin is a small village and is surrounded on two sides by the Dandenong Ranges, so it is very beautiful. And, although it is semi-rural, it has a great little shopping strip inc. a pub, wine bar and two great cafes. It is also only a 5 min drive to Boronia for the train and more facilities. The beauty of it is, that 10 mins in the other direction and you are up in Olinda and Sassafras which are fab 'mountain' villages with a completely different feel to any suburbs. There are two kinder/pre-schools in The Basin, as well as a state primary school and also a Catholic primary school. Within a 10 min drive there are a huge amount of schools to choose from. I would say The Basin is particularly good for young families - but, again, being an established area, there is a great mix of ages. It is extremely friendly, and being small, you're always bumping into people you know.

You could also consider Wantirna or Knoxfield - but these are more built up without the lovely hills around. They are also not so close to the train line.

Hope this helps a bit - shout if you need anything else!

Rachel
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

The Crooksters is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We've been in Rowville for about a month now. We too had heard it described as a little 'souless' but I have to say that so far we love it. We have two boys aged 6 and 3. The older boy has settled into school brilliantly and loves it and there seems to be loads of playgroups, kinders and nursery's around too. Our 3 yrs old starts at Kinder after easter. There's also loads of after school stuff to do, swimming, football, it's all on our doorstep. The Knox Shopping Centre is 5 mins and it's 30 mins straight down Wellington Road to St Kilda Beach.

I work in Camberwell so I drive 10 mins up to Ferntree Gully and catch the train in from there.

I know that there's supposed to be a problem with teenagers but I've not witnessed anything yet. In fact our neighbourhood is v.v. quiet. The only thing I would say is that you definatley need a car, probably each.

Pam
Old Mar 24th 2008, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

MUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really nice

Thanks fro the info folks. Lets hope the prices stay realistic before we arrive.

My work will not be in the CBD so travel is not that important.

The only thing I have noticed from web searches is the quality of rentals in the area is rather poor?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:51 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

I live in The Basin,

Rachel

You missed out the strip club
Old May 20th 2008, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

spunkytiger82 has a spectacular aura aboutspunkytiger82 has a spectacular aura aboutspunkytiger82 has a spectacular aura about

I live in The Basin, which is the next suburb along from Boronia. It's a small village and semi-rural. I think Knox is a great area to live in as it is central to many areas and, as you say, still has affordable house prices. The only areas I know fairly well, apart from The Basin, are Boronia, Bayswater and Ferntree Gully.

Boronia is a mixed bag - but there are some nice areas/streets and property. It becomes quite apparent when you're driving around, which are the less desirable spots. Boronia and Bayswater both have a bit of a rough reputation and there is isolated problems - not that I have witnessed any myself. The train stations seem to lure any anti-social behaviour.

Again, with Ferntree Gully there are a few spots that are not so nice - which is probably the case with most suburbs. But there are also some lovely streets and areas - like where Bordy is! All the above suburbs have a real mix of ages - from young families to retired people.

All the above suburbs have great parks and facilities - shops, sporting, transports links etc. There are also many kinders and primary schools to choose from.

The Basin is a small village and is surrounded on two sides by the Dandenong Ranges, so it is very beautiful. And, although it is semi-rural, it has a great little shopping strip inc. a pub, wine bar and two great cafes. It is also only a 5 min drive to Boronia for the train and more facilities. The beauty of it is, that 10 mins in the other direction and you are up in Olinda and Sassafras which are fab 'mountain' villages with a completely different feel to any suburbs. There are two kinder/pre-schools in The Basin, as well as a state primary school and also a Catholic primary school. Within a 10 min drive there are a huge amount of schools to choose from. I would say The Basin is particularly good for young families - but, again, being an established area, there is a great mix of ages. It is extremely friendly, and being small, you're always bumping into people you know.

You could also consider Wantirna or Knoxfield - but these are more built up without the lovely hills around. They are also not so close to the train line.

Rachel
Hi, just wondering are there any areas of Ferntree Gully which I should avoid. We're looking at houses and thinking semi-rural (mostly for price) but also we want to be close to parks and that.. So were looking at Eltham and Ferntree Gully but we don't know the area at all
Old May 20th 2008, 4:14 am
The Godfather

Originally Posted by spunkytiger82
Hi, just wondering are there any areas of Ferntree Gully which I should avoid. We're looking at houses and thinking semi-rural (mostly for price) but also we want to be close to parks and that.. So were looking at Eltham and Ferntree Gully but we don't know the area at all
FTG is not known as a bad area but still best to avoid anything around the train station as that seems to be the place the kids hang around at night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.