Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

knowledge of Brissie, can I have your opinion to this itinary for my 9 day trip pleas

knowledge of Brissie, can I have your opinion to this itinary for my 9 day trip pleas

Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Default knowledge of Brissie, can I have your opinion to this itinary for my 9 day trip pleas

Brisbane to Manly for our first night
basically Cleveland up the coast road to Noosa
Noosa inland to Kilcoy
Kilcoy to Harlin??
south to Ipswich
east to Logan
South to Byron to meet my sister for a day or so of rest
what do you think?
We have 9 days, no kids, we are on a mission to find the place we want to settle in August this year.
Thank you so much for your help
Tara

Last edited by ali south; Jan 28th 2005 at 6:08 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:22 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: knowledge of Brissie, can I have your opinion to this itinary for my 9 day trip pleas

Originally Posted by ali south
Noosa inland to Kilcoy
Kilcoy to Harlin??
south to Ipswich
east to Logan
what do you think?
We have 9 days, no kids, we are on a mission to find the place we want to settle in August this year.
Tara
Hi

It sounds do-able to me, if not pretty long when you've factored jetlag and travelling on roads you don't know in to it! The roads aren't too bad though, even when you get out to Kilcoy so you should make good time on them, no kids will speed up journey a bit too
Have you on purposely gone to look at places 1hour+ outside of Brissie?
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Default Re: knowledge of Brissie, can I have your opinion to this itinary for my 9 day trip pleas

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Hi

It sounds do-able to me, if not pretty long when you've factored jetlag and travelling on roads you don't know in to it! The roads aren't too bad though, even when you get out to Kilcoy so you should make good time on them, no kids will speed up journey a bit too
well that is a long story but...

I am a teacher, need to get a job but loads of places have kids who need teaching

my sister lives in Sydney and would love to move to somewhere like Maroochydore and I trust her opinion (we have never been to QLD)

My kids 14 and 16 have grown up in London so life cannot be too slow, however we are reay to slow down

plus we fancy moving into the tourist industry

thank you for replying
Tara
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi

and yes we are looking one hour away because this seems manageable in 9 days
Old Jan 28th 2005, 8:28 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Noosa inland to Kilcoy
Kilcoy to Harlin??
south to Ipswich
east to Logan
what do you think?
Tara

Tara, can I just ask, are you actually planning to stay the night in all of these places? Or just driving through them & finding somewhere to stay in between?

I still cant for the life of me work out why anyone would want to include Ipswich & Logan in a reccie trip :scared: but each to their own . Ipswich to Logan is only about 20 mins drive down the Ipswich motorway.

As for the rest, Cleveland to Noosa (allow 2½ hrs), Noosa to Kilcoy (allow about the same) & Logan to Byron (allow 3 hrs), Manly to Cleveland is about 10-15 mins drive, airport to Manly is around 20 mins, Ipswich to Logan Ive already mentioned & sorry I have no idea where Harlin is (unless its a suburb of Toowoomba perhaps?)

Anyway, hope this helps.

PS. places like Noosa & Kilcoy are alot further than an hours drive from Brisbane.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 9:07 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

and yes we are looking one hour away because this seems manageable in 9 days
Okay - as Mrs DB has pointed out though, some of those places are more than an hour. Kilcoy is about 100kms from my house and I'm about 20mins in that direction outside the city. Quickest I've even done Noosa in is 1h 45mins. Just something to bear in mind!
Old Jan 29th 2005, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Tara, can I just ask, are you actually planning to stay the night in all of these places? Or just driving through them & finding somewhere to stay in between?

I still cant for the life of me work out why anyone would want to include Ipswich & Logan in a reccie trip :scared: but each to their own . Ipswich to Logan is only about 20 mins drive down the Ipswich motorway.

As for the rest, Cleveland to Noosa (allow 2½ hrs), Noosa to Kilcoy (allow about the same) & Logan to Byron (allow 3 hrs), Manly to Cleveland is about 10-15 mins drive, airport to Manly is around 20 mins, Ipswich to Logan Ive already mentioned & sorry I have no idea where Harlin is (unless its a suburb of Toowoomba perhaps?)

Anyway, hope this helps.

PS. places like Noosa & Kilcoy are alot further than an hours drive from Brisbane.
Thank you for your reply - we are hoping to turn up and find a bed for the night, mainly because we do not have a clue about the towns, as you pointed out you can't understand why some off them are on our list. They are on our list because they appear on the map! This trip should be fun!!!!
Thanks again
Tara
Old Jan 29th 2005, 8:01 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Thank you for your reply - we are hoping to turn up and find a bed for the night, mainly because we do not have a clue about the towns, as you pointed out you can't understand why some off them are on our list. They are on our list because they appear on the map! This trip should be fun!!!!
Thanks again
Tara

www.wotif.com.au is always a good place to look for half (to) decent accommodation at short notice.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 8:02 am
Shaz

Shazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant future
Smile Re: knowledge of Brissie, can I have your opinion to this itinary for my 9 day trip pleas

Hi, we went to Queensland in nov/dec, we stayed at Caloundra, which was lovely. We went up the coast & we loved Mooloolaba & Maroochydore, when we went to Noosa the beach was really smelly & full of algae ! uchh.
Our plans were to emigrate to Mooloolaba as we loved it so much but according to our agent my husbands job is only in demand in Maryborough which is futher up the coast but after a lot of research about it we decided that Maryborough is not the place for us & we are now going to S Australia
You wont be disappointed with the Sunshine coast as its fab, good luck & enjoy your hols.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 8:06 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally Posted by Shazrazmataz
Hi, we went to Queensland in nov/dec, we stayed at Caloundra, which was lovely. We went up the coast & we loved Mooloolaba & Maroochydore, when we went to Noosa the beach was really smelly & full of algae ! uchh.
Bit of a seasonal problem they seem to have up there unfortunately!!

Our plans were to emigrate to Mooloolaba as we loved it so much but according to our agent my husbands job is only in demand in Maryborough which is futher up the coast but after a lot of research about it we decided that Maryborough is not the place for us & we are now going to S Australia
You wont be disappointed with the Sunshine coast as its fab, good luck & enjoy your hols.

Just out of pure curiosity, what sort of job is it that your husband can't get in Mooloolaba? Or is it to do with the actual (DIMIA) demand list??
Old Jan 29th 2005, 8:13 am
Shaz

Shazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant future
Unhappy Re: knowledge of Brissie, can I have your opinion to this itinary for my 9 day trip pleas

Bit of a seasonal problem they seem to have up there unfortunately!!

Just out of pure curiosity, what sort of job is it that your husband can't get in Mooloolaba? Or is it to do with the actual (DIMIA) demand list??
My hubby is a shipwright/ boat builder/ repairer, & yes its to down to the DIMIA They are crying out for his skills there but they say we can only go to Maryborough so our plans are to go to S.A. for 2 years then move up to the Sunshine Coast
Old Jan 29th 2005, 8:15 am
part-time Visa Angel!

My hubby is a shipwright/ boat builder/ repairer, & yes its to down to the DIMIA They are crying out for his skills there but they say we can only go to Maryborough so our plans are to go to S.A. for 2 years then move up to the Sunshine Coast
Ah, bugger Well, don't forget to look us girlie drinkers up when u get here... I could be a real life citizen by then if the DIMIA change the rules in my favour, how exciting
Old Jan 29th 2005, 8:23 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again
Tara
Tara, whilst I understand your idea, going somewhere "just cos its on the map" isnt always the best way to see an area . For example both Ipwich & Logan are nothing more than satellite cities of Brisbane, just suburbs basically (& not very nice ones at that! 2 of the least desirable areas in Brisbane :scared: ) & if I wanted to visit SE Qld to see what areas I may want to live & just have a look around I certainly wouldnt be going there . Similarly Manly & Cleveland are only about 2 suburbs apart (albeit, good suburbs this time) so if you wanted to look at both I would just stay in one & visit for the day.

I would suggest a day in Manly or Cleveland, a day on the Sunshine Coast (possibly Noosa or Maroochydore, a drive down through Kilcoy & Toowoomba (both country towns), down to Lamington National Park or Mt Tamborine, a day on the Gold Coast & then a day in Byron Bay. Should keep you occupied & much more interesting that seeing the hoons burning off at the lights & the teens hanging around the local shopping centre in Logan & Ipswich .

PS. Places like Logan are not likely to have a great deal of motel accommodation (definitely NOT tourist type areas) & not alot of suburban pubs have accommodation in Oz, unlike in the UK.