Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Knowing what you know now !!

Knowing what you know now !!

Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:13 pm
darrens1

darrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nice
Default Knowing what you know now !!

What would you have done differently or what would you have brought over that you didn't, before you moved to Aus ???
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:57 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Knowing what you know now !!

Originally Posted by darrens1
What would you have done differently or what would you have brought over that you didn't, before you moved to Aus ???
The only thing I would have done differently would be to have brought my car, which was quite a nice car and I really liked it. It would have cost about 8000 pounds to bring but I sold it in the UK to a dealer for about 5000 pounds less than it was worth retail.

Everything else has been great!

BB
Old Jul 18th 2010, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Knowing what you know now !!

Same as BB! Like idiots we left it to the last minute to sell thinking it would go really quickly and ended up selling it to a dealer for half of what we first advertised it for. It was my dream car (206CC) and now there is no way I can afford one here!

I also left our apartment fully furnished which was a pain because I needed kitchen bits here so had to rebuy everything and then the tenants trashed some of the furniture!

The other one was we should have sold up and moved the money over then.....but that's another story

Other than that everything else went okay as far as the actual move went.

The most frustrating thing when we arrived is not knowing the shops and where to buy stuff. You just spend ages researching because you don't know which shops are cheap, expensive, best value etc!
Old Jul 18th 2010, 11:37 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darrens1
Honestly ... nothing. I had no expectations when I left the UK and seem perfectly content with how things are working out.

<dredges mind for something> OK, I wouldn't have hoed into the Jim Beam on the flight over and I would have drunk some water occasionally and packed some Neurofen.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by koalakim
Same as BB! Like idiots we left it to the last minute to sell thinking it would go really quickly and ended up selling it to a dealer for half of what we first advertised it for. It was my dream car (206CC) and now there is no way I can afford one here!
Thats a pity nice little convertible , worth more (and more useful) in Australia than the UK.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 2:14 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I would absolutely not have taken sedatives prior to migrating so instead of saying goodbye to my family and then my Dad at the station in a drug induced state, I would have stared him in the eye, hugged him with all my strength, told him I loved him, allowed myself to cry/sob and had REAL feelings rather than lorazepam induced ones.

I would have spent more time with friends doing the things we loved doing and acquired more recent memories to take with me.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I would have aimed for melbourne or sydney rather than perth. I think they would have been a better fit lifestyle wise for me. As for what I would have brought from the uk I would say, cheap clothes. casual, workout, relaxing round the house type clothes. I wish I had packed a lot more as they are more expensive here.

overall, if I could go back I would tell myself not to come to australia at all but instead try living in a few different areas of the uk instead. I would sure have a lot less moles on me than I do now!
Old Jul 21st 2010, 3:08 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I probably should not have maxed the credit cards and ran.

I have a crick in my neck from looking over my shoulder.

Sorry, but it's been AGES since a 'Should I leave my debt?' thread
Old Jul 21st 2010, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

moonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant future

Boots Dental Pain Relief or Paramol (same thing). Best non-prescription painkiller there is. Can't get that combination here (nanny state drugs regulations).
Old Jul 21st 2010, 4:11 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Would have given more thought to emigrating to America or Canada instead (when we had money and could afford to do it ).
Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

gunn1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't have brought half the stuff with me that I did - though by that time I was filling a container (dangerous: hey, it doesn't cost any more to take this etc) AND I would have researched other areas in Australia (and got onto this forum sooner), looking back.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:24 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
Would have given more thought to emigrating to America or Canada instead (when we had money and could afford to do it ).
+1
Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

I would have left the wife and kids in the uk
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:00 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Would have stayed on 457 and gone back after a couple of years adventure play.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

probably have kept the car (BMW 5 series) and a few other bits at a friend's house rather than taking the massive hit on it. Kept it until we knew for sure if we were staying - turns out we're not!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.