Reload this Page >

Knowing I'am not staying here forever has made me feel better

Wikiposts

Knowing I'am not staying here forever has made me feel better

Old Sep 3rd 2003, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Zebra4
It's different, it isn't Britain. It's laid back, nothing's taken too seriously. It's easy to fall for the attitude here. Stay 2 years and Enjoy!
I think this is a good point about Perth - "nothing's taken too seriously" - I think that is very much Perth.

I don't think that's a bad thing, the other day without noticing I took someone's parking space, I got out of the car then realised, I put my hand up and said sorry, the guy leant out of the window "no worries..!" I wonder what reaction I would have got in the UK?

On the other hand, if you have an active mind, career minded, ambitious and want to get things done it might be a frustrating place to live.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

[On the other hand, if you have an active mind, career minded, ambitious and want to get things done it might be a frustrating place to live. [/QUOTE]

Agree Kath - it does take a while to slow down and get into the right frame of mind after the frantic lives we all used to live in the UK.

Diane
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DianeOZ
[On the other hand, if you have an active mind, career minded, ambitious and want to get things done it might be a frustrating place to live.

Agree Kath - it does take a while to slow down and get into the right frame of mind after the frantic lives we all used to live in the UK.

Diane
[/QUOTE]

I think we will do okay in Oz.
We lived in Spain for 2 years, and everything was Manana. Manana is tomorrow (or anytime between tomorrow and Christmas).
Once we had relaxed and realised that things are a lot slower and laid back, we settled easier into the way of life.
If we had to go to the Bank for instance. It was a mornings job, and it didn't necessarily mean that you came back with the job done. Just meant that you had to go back manana and start all over again.

Whisky
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 9:23 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default Re: Knowing I'am not staying here forever has made me feel better

Originally posted by janeyray

For me living here forever would mean a life away from our family and friends and having not given that much thought before we left, feel now that our life is with family and friends that we have grown up with.

We thought that our daughter (who was nearly 6 when we arrived) would be at the age to be adaptable to a 'new life' but how wrong we were. She complains daily about missing her grandparents, doesn't have any close friends as school and is generally not the happy, pleasant little girl that she was back in the UK. The other day she came to me and said that she wanted to live here forever because her mama (my mum) hadn't called in a while and didn't want her any more!!!
It makes me question what is going through her head to say such things and saddens me that she feels like this.

Did you not consider how far Oz was and that your family and friends would not be so close? I am not being negative at you but life is what you make it. Your daughter probably picks up on your negative energy. I don't think any country in the world is like England and maybe thats a good thing. Oz is certainly different but why sit there for another 2 years with the same negative attitude? If I was that unhappy I would be back to England on the next flight. As for getting qualifications???? England offers just the same and you can study there. As for saving hard, I would be gone if I was that sad and unhappy. I really do not mean to get at you and that is not my point but I can not understand why people come on to say the beaches and sun and houses are not everything. What was it, if it was not those particular things did you expect to gain in Oz???
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 9:48 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally posted by nicholls clan
What was it, if it was not those particular things did you expect to gain in Oz???
In fairness, it's not just what you can gain in Oz, but also what you can lose by leaving the UK, like, err, like the, uhm. I'll have to get back to you on that.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 9:50 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Did you not consider how far Oz was and that your family and friends would not be so close? I am not being negative at you but life is what you make it. Your daughter probably picks up on your negative energy. I don't think any country in the world is like England and maybe thats a good thing. Oz is certainly different but why sit there for another 2 years with the same negative attitude? If I was that unhappy I would be back to England on the next flight. As for getting qualifications???? England offers just the same and you can study there. As for saving hard, I would be gone if I was that sad and unhappy. I really do not mean to get at you and that is not my point but I can not understand why people come on to say the beaches and sun and houses are not everything. What was it, if it was not those particular things did you expect to gain in Oz???
yes I did consider and do know how far Oz is from the Uk but as I put in my post, I hadn't given much consideration to how I would feel about missing family and friends, not how far away they were.
As for life is what you make it, I agree but feel I can't make a life here if we aren't all happy as a family, it takes all of us to feel right about being here. We all shared this experience and if one of us is unhappy as we feel our daughter is, then we think the right thing to do is go back to the UK.

"Back on the next flight" isn't as easy as all that, as we bought pets out with us, these have to be prepared to fly back to the UK. We bought a house here, this has to be sold. We had things shipped out, these have to be shipped back. The list is endless, if it were as easy as going today, we would.

We didn't for one second think that Oz was like the Uk and if anyone does well they are in for a big shock.

My husband is 4 months into his qualification, why stop it now and have to repeat it all again in the UK? By the time we are leaving he will have completed the course.

I do not know your position but guess you are one of the many 'would be immigrants' that has maybe visited Oz on a holiday/working holiday and knows that this is the place for you. My advice would not be to put others down on this forum who are finding it hard here, as they are the real immigrants. We are living the real life here and have tasted both sides. I can guess you have not.

I quote you:
"but I cannot understand why people come on to say the beaches and sun are not everything. what was it if it was not those particular things did you expect to gain in Oz???"

What I wanted out of life was not the beach and the sun!!!!! I'am not even going to answer this if thats all you think someone emmigrated to Oz for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:scared:
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 9:55 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

I am in the Uk I returned form Oz to be with my father who had a stroke. I am going back in March. I have lived in Oz for 5 years previously to coming back. You took it personal and I did explain it wasnt meant that way. Just If you are so unhappy you should return to the UK. Why waste 2 years? This really isnt meant to get at you.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Hi Jane

I've just had a few days away and have only just seen your post, i'm sorry that things arent working out for you and the family, i have noticed that your posts have seemed less and less positive as time has gone on.

Perhaps as time goes on things will change and you will end up staying or even moving on to somewhere else.

We left our home town and moved 600 miles away 3 years ago, at first i didnt settle well at all and after 6 months went home for a visit only to find that i didnt fit in there either, things werent as i remembered them, things had moved on, people had moved on and as i had been away for 6 months i couldnt fit straight back in again, so i came back here and decided that life back home wasnt what i wanted any more and having just spent the last week there i can honestly say i dont ever see us living there again, your views change when you have experienced life away from your safe and cosy "home".

I hope things work out for you all and you find hapiness wherever you decide to settle, nothing is forever and nothing stays the same either. I only hope that delaying your return to the uk doesnt further confuse you all.

Be where you are happy, life is too short not to enjoy it.

Best Wishes
Lynn
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:12 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I am in the Uk I returned form Oz to be with my father who had a stroke. I am going back in March. I have lived in Oz for 5 years previously to coming back. You took it personal and I did explain it wasnt meant that way. Just If you are so unhappy you should return to the UK. Why waste 2 years? This really isnt meant to get at you.
As much as I would love to return as soon as possible we have to be realistic. We came with every intention to live here forever, this not being so we have agreed to stay at least another year so we can at least gain something from our 'experience'.

We have met some lovely people here who I'am sure will become longterm friends and for the time being we will enjoy our stay here which as I said has made our being here a lot easier and we no longer feel sad knowing now we will return. Our daughter has a smile on her face everyday now knowing this is just an extended holiday!! It has been a great learning curve for me and I'am sure for lots of others who return?.

You are lucky to enjoy living here and are one of the very few that make a permanent life of OZ.
I didn't take you comments pesonally, I think everyone is different and we all have our own reasons for staying or for leaving.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:19 am
home again, home again

Originally posted by lynnj
Hi Jane

Perhaps as time goes on things will change and you will end up staying or even moving on to somewhere else.

Best Wishes
Lynn
Thanks for your post Lynn although to be honest I can remember going to Heathrow thinking "why are we going to Oz'?!!!! Maybe I wasn't 100% about it from the start???!.
I know that when we arrived here I would be walking down the street or doing something and I would suddenly think 'Oh my god, Iam in Oz" and I had a feeling that I can only discribe as a tiny panic attack. I know it sounds odd but thats how I felt. This panicy feeling vanished after about a month but I still wake up some days and think, "oh, I'am still here"!!
I wish I didn't feel like this but I can't change my feelings

I do wish you and your family all the best and hope you enjoy your new life here.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:29 am
Home in 2010.

Originally posted by janeyray
As much as I would love to return as soon as possible we have to be realistic. We came with every intention to live here forever, this not being so we have agreed to stay at least another year so we can at least gain something from our 'experience'.

We have met some lovely people here who I'am sure will become longterm friends and for the time being we will enjoy our stay here which as I said has made our being here a lot easier and we no longer feel sad knowing now we will return. Our daughter has a smile on her face everyday now knowing this is just an extended holiday!! It has been a great learning curve for me and I'am sure for lots of others who return?.

You are lucky to enjoy living here and are one of the very few that make a permanent life of OZ.
I didn't take you comments pesonally, I think everyone is different and we all have our own reasons for staying or for leaving.
When I first went to Oz it was from Holland where I lived for 4 years previous and I moaned like hell in Holland about the country, the people, the way of life... Then I got to Oz and I did the same. Went back to UK for a break and realised I really did not fit in any where and that life is what you make it. You can ask any of my freinds I was a real whinging Pom. Then I went back to Oz and looked at it with a whole different attitude. Knew I would always be British at heart and when ever England is slagged off will defend it to the last but realise I had to stop bieng so negative and get stuck in.
I am really looking forward to getting back and only came back this time for dad, I am going to travel for 4 months then start working. I am not saying it is the same for you, but for me because I was so negative everything around me was an effort. Once my attitude changed everything else did. I Love the fact that I can go between the 2 countries and even back to Holland if I wish but will stay in Oz because I like the laid back aproach to life and I love the lifestyle.
Hope it works for you, but dont be surprised if you go back to Oz.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

[On the other hand, if you have an active mind, career minded, ambitious and want to get things done it might be a frustrating place to live. [/QUOTE]

Why would this make a jot of difference? With these qualities, you can only go forwards, be it in Oz or the UK.

There are so many opportunities in Australia - you can be anything you want to be. Go for it and see what happens! Australia is going forwards, you get swept along with the positive attitude, the only thing to hold you back is your own belief.

It doesn't matter if you arrive here down the skilled, business or sponsored route. Don't pigeon hole yourself into a type, think outside the square, and you'll make many friends here. Australians love the have a go, can do type.