Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The kiwis think I am Irish/scottish

The kiwis think I am Irish/scottish

Old Apr 21st 2004, 9:31 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default The kiwis think I am Irish/scottish

and I am from Leeds!!! how do they work that out then!
Old Apr 21st 2004, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The kiwis think I am Irish/scottish

Originally posted by sky
and I am from Leeds!!! how do they work that out then!
You are thankful that they can't spot where you really come from? (Bound for Division One and all that I mean, Mark Viduka seems to be offering himself around in anticipation of that, Galatasary of Istanbul mentioned lately).

OzTennis
Old Apr 21st 2004, 9:49 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by OzTennis
You are thankful that they can't spot where you really come from? (Bound for Division One and all that I mean, Mark Viduka seems to be offering himself around in anticipation of that, Galatasary of Istanbul mentioned lately).

OzTennis
eh?
no idea wot u on about ... bit like when the deep south kiwis talk to me
Old Apr 21st 2004, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

I have the same problem, they guess Scottish first and Irish second. I'm from Co-Durham, with a slight Geordie accent.

Gill
Old Apr 21st 2004, 9:59 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gill and Rob
I have the same problem, they guess Scottish first and Irish second. I'm from Co-Durham, with a slight Geordie accent.

Gill
I'm Northumbrian and the Aussies think I'm Welsh. A Welsh lady here thinks I'm Irish!

Jane
Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:35 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a brummie and have also been mistaken for scottish several times
I think here the assumption is if you're not from London you must be scottish, irish or welsh!
Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JaneandJim
I'm Northumbrian and the Aussies think I'm Welsh. A Welsh lady here thinks I'm Irish!

Jane
Lots of people think Chris Coleman (manager of Fulham) and Neil Kinnock are Geordies rather than Welsh. I've lived in Scotland quite a long time so when I go back home some people think I'm a 'Jock' - no one in Scotland thinks I'm other than an Aussie. I have been accused of being English a few times in Australia also but once I drop a few 'ockerisms' and remember to put an upward inflection at the end of the sentence soon cures that*.

OzTennis

*Why do Aussies go up at the end of their sentences? Because our forebears went down at the start of their's. (with apologies as I've posted this before)
Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:42 am
sky
Banned

upward inflection I like that, have been wondering what to call it
Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by mcmercer
I'm a brummie and have also been mistaken for scottish several times
I think here the assumption is if you're not from London you must be scottish, irish or welsh!
I saw one of those useless newspaper surveys once which ranked UK regional accents in terms of popularity etc. Geordie and Scots were top and Scouse, Cockney and Brummie were at the bottom.

No doubt it has been raised on here before but regional variations in accents are less noticeble but still distinguishable in Oz. It is usually possible to distinguish someone from Sydney from someone from Melbourne and it is definitely possible to distinguish someone from the 'bush' from someone from the city.
It gets a bit more complicated when it is an expat from Sydney, Melbourne or the bush.

OzTennis
Old Apr 21st 2004, 12:01 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Surrey and so far have been asked if I am a kiwi...or from up north.!!!! must be my Hilda Ogden hairdo !!!Lol..

My hubby is an Aussie born and bred and the poor bloke is always mistaken for a pom...by the Aussie's..!!!bless him my accent has certainly rubbed of on him !!

Pants
Old Apr 21st 2004, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by sky
eh?
no idea wot u on about ... bit like when the deep south kiwis talk to me
Sorry, Sky, I didn't want you or anyone to construe that I thought it would be better to be thought of as Irish or Scots than English down under. So I made a reference to the fact that the football team from Leeds is probably about to be relegated. Ya' ken what I mean like?

OzTennis
Old Apr 21st 2004, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Being Scottish

I for one find this all very amusing, because everytime I go on holiday be it europe or USA I get asked where in England I am form and I like to correct people by asking them if they are from a country I they don't particularly like! Or are ruled by. i.e. to a kiwi I ask where in Oz are you from and Canadian's which part of US are you from, this usually makes them realise you are not from the offending nation they ask.

PS Born and Bred in Scotland, however my poor father was born in england he is what we call a sasinak.

Old Apr 21st 2004, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pants
I'm from Surrey and so far have been asked if I am a kiwi...or from up north.!!!! must be my Hilda Ogden hairdo !!!Lol..

My hubby is an Aussie born and bred and the poor bloke is always mistaken for a pom...by the Aussie's..!!!bless him my accent has certainly rubbed of on him !!

Pants

Your husband is in the same boat as me!

I go home and they all think I am English. Yet, the English think I am (in their word) "the most Australian Australian they have ever heard". Can't win!!!!
Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

I am currently listening to radio naidheachdan from the BBC in scotch gaelic and have no idea what they are saying either.

Sounds good though and I got the word Tony Blair a few times...