Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kiwi's discrimination complaint upheld by Aussie tribunal

Kiwi's discrimination complaint upheld by Aussie tribunal

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 11:40 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Kiwi's discrimination complaint upheld by Aussie tribunal

The 444 visa is a funny one indeed. We are on it and very grateful for it, esp as we may have missed the boat for converting it to PR (over 45, recent job changes blah blah). We love it here and would dearly love to convert it to PR and get our Oz citizenship as this is truly home.

The trouble as I see it with 444 is it is legally a temporary visa which gives you some permanent rights. This can get very confusing for officialdom type peeps eg schools, regulatory bodies, etc as you are technically a temporary visa holder who lives here permanently, forms can be a nightmare!!! Also as the same quirks do not apply to Australians living in NZ there is some disparity, which leads to confusion.

The whole thing can seem a little ill conceived at times. For example if we go for PR we have to have medicals. Ok thats fine and I get that medicals are to ensure you won't be a burden to the health system, and I am fine with that. However as NZ'ers we have medicare so isn't the medical a bit of a pointless exercise?! The more you live on a 444 the more you notice these quirks, so I am not really suprised that people have used the legal system to try and get some clarity.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Well done, good job.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:14 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmyoz2010 View Post
it was raised in 2001 when changes went through
I don't reckon the NZ government would want to change it. There's a reason why they haven't made a reciprocal change. And it doesn't involve any high ground.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus View Post
It would probably do NZ good, if Australia insisted that all Kiwi's go through the same visa process the rest of us have to do. It would stop the outflow of people from NZ to Australia in its tracks.
Good point - making it harder for Kiwis to get here would be a big benefit to the NZ economy - what little there is of it.

Basically everyone would be a winner
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu View Post
Good point - making it harder for Kiwis to get here would be a big benefit to the NZ economy - what little there is of it.

Basically everyone would be a winner
Yeah NZ is pathetic compared to Australia, especially the pathetic little economy and the wanker accents, just like Australia as pathetic compared to the UK and the UK pathetic compared to the US. Haha - look at me, I'm better than you.

Last edited by Fluid36; Mar 23rd 2011 at 1:18 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 1:22 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fluid36 View Post
Yeah NZ is pathetic compared to Australia, especially the pathetic little economy and the wanker accents, just like Australia as pathetic compared to the UK and the UK pathetic compared to the US. Haha - look at me, I'm better than you.
Accents aside, one of the biggest things holding back New Zealand's further development is the attitude of it's people that it is already as developed as Australia, UK, US etc.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 1:23 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

...and the US are pathetic compared to the Klingon Empire and the Clangers can take the Klingons anyday.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee View Post
Accents aside, one of the biggest things holding back New Zealand's further development is the attitude of it's people that it is already as developed as Australia, UK, US etc.
Looks like there may be a few issues here regarding the ability of Australians to string together a sentence in proper English.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 1:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah NZ is pathetic compared to Australia, especially the pathetic little economy and the wanker accents
Too true cussie
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 1:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus View Post
the Clangers can take the Klingons anyday.
No way, the Klingons have cloaking on their ships - what do the Clangers have? Not that I know who they are!

Last edited by Amazulu; Mar 23rd 2011 at 1:35 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Too true cussie
Nice one digger, pin another tail on the donkey and chuck a prawn on the dingo.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 1:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee View Post
On our recent trip there I found it to be a beautiful, pleasant place to visit, and the people are very friendly - but that's about it. I have never been to a country where so many of it's people want to leave.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 1:33 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

No way, the Klingons have cloaking on their ships - what do the Clangers have? Not that I know who they are!
They have the Soup Dragon.

That's all any one needs.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 1:34 am
Account Closed

Enjoy

Old Mar 23rd 2011, 1:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
They have the Soup Dragon.

That's all any one needs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.