Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kiwipaul you Jammy Bastard

Wikiposts

Kiwipaul you Jammy Bastard

Old Jul 6th 2003, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Last time I remember any deep snow that stayed around for more than 2 days in Leicestershire was 1962 , me sledge has been in the shed ever since.
Well your memory is even more senile than even I thought if you haven't seen a decent snow in Leics in 40 years.

Well potential Aussies in the UK if this is a sample of the accuracy of PB statements you don't have to worry about anything he says.

I even remember it snowing on June 1 one year it didn't last very long once the sun came out but it did snow in June.
Old Jul 6th 2003, 6:17 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Well your memory is even more senile than even I thought if you haven't seen a decent snow in Leics in 40 years.

Well potential Aussies in the UK if this is a sample of the accuracy of PB statements you don't have to worry about anything he says.

I even remember it snowing on June 1 one year it didn't last very long once the sun came out but it did snow in June.

You read it again Pal with mummy I said the falls never last the bloody rain sorts out the odd fall.
Keep off the drugs in that goverment tea its buggering up your head.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jul 6th 2003 at 6:22 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2003, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by pommie bastard
You read it again Pal with mummy I said the falls never last the bloody rain sorts out the odd fall.
Keep off the drugs in that goverment tea its buggering up your head.

I did read what you said but the snow storm I'm refering to it took them, 3 days just to clear the roads. I remember it clearly as I was due to fly out of Birmingham airport not 50 miles from where I lived and I could even get to the airport on Sunday. I eventually managed to get to EM Airport on Monday.

You don't forget that sort of thing in a hurry.
Old Jul 6th 2003, 6:31 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

I did read what you said but the snow storm I'm refering to it took them, 3 days just to clear the roads. I remember it clearly as I was due to fly out of Birmingham airport not 50 miles from where I lived and I could even get to the airport on Sunday. I eventually managed to get to EM Airport on Monday.

You don't forget that sort of thing in a hurry.
3 days to clear the roads how many roads , never missed a day at work in the UK in 20 years because of the white stuff.
You realy are a soft sod , stay at your goverment desk its all you can hope for.

Old Jul 6th 2003, 6:40 pm
Banned

You love weather try this.

June 2003
Temperatures were well above average, with England and Wales having their warmest June mean temperature since 1976. Monthly rainfall totals well above average, over East Anglia and Lincolnshire.

Shepshed (Leics) recorded the highest temperature of the year so far with 30.5 °C. Shepshed also received 39 mm of rainfall in just one hour on the 1st.

http://www.met-office.gov.uk/climate...mes/index.html

Old Jul 6th 2003, 6:45 pm
Banned

Snow your starter for one.

Snow is comparatively rare near sea level in England, but much more frequent over hills. The average number of days each year when sleet or snow falls in England varies from about 10 or less in some south-western coastal areas to over 50 in the Pennines. Snow rarely lies on the ground at sea level before December or after March, and the average annual number of days with snow lying in England varies from five or less around the coasts to over 90 in parts of the Pennines. A day of snow lying is defined as one with snow covering at least half of the ground at 0900 UTC.

The number of days of snowfall and snow cover varies enormously from year to year. At many places in the last fifty years it has ranged from none at all in a number of winters to in excess of 30 days during the winters of 1946/47 and 1962/63. Even places near the coast experienced prolonged snow cover during these two winters. In heavy snowfalls there can be quite extensive drifting of the snow in strong winds, especially over the higher ground, resulting in severe dislocation of transport. Fortunately such occasions are comparatively rare.

Old Jul 6th 2003, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

My house is no draught box and I still don't own a fire, just stick a pullover on when it starts getting chilly at night. But as it hits 20c every day in Brisbane my house warms up nicely during the day. Obviously the hovel you bought / built the vendor saw you comming and couldn't believe his luck.

But Pommie does have a point, it seems, concerning the apparent quality of houses in Oz. Without knowing your house, not wanting to claim it's a draughty box, but if you say that it warms up nicely during the day it's obviously not too well insulated. In a hot climate like the Oz one it would make sense if houses were so well insulated that they did not heat up during the day.

:lecture:

sashimi
Old Jul 6th 2003, 11:48 pm
The Tooth Fairy

Originally posted by sashimi
But Pommie does have a point, it seems, concerning the apparent quality of houses in Oz. Without knowing your house, not wanting to claim it's a draughty box, but if you say that it warms up nicely during the day it's obviously not too well insulated. In a hot climate like the Oz one it would make sense if houses were so well insulated that they did not heat up during the day.

sashimi
Also want it to cool down quickly at night in summer. Best to have low internal thermal mass (plaster board not brick or stone) with good wall and ceiling insulation and doors and windows which can be opened wide at night and kept closed during the day.

Old Jul 7th 2003, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by sashimi

sashimi
I agree I don't think it has much insulation at all (def nothing in roof) and I've been looking at roof insulation (quoted $1400) but will that mean the house dosn't warm up so much in the winter (only 2-3 months anyway). Also in the summer it gets really hot but I've large windows I can through open, but will the insulation hold the heat in rather than keep it out.

Undecided
Old Jul 7th 2003, 11:32 am
The Tooth Fairy

I agree I don't think it has much insulation at all (def nothing in roof) and I've been looking at roof insulation (quoted $1400) but will that mean the house dosn't warm up so much in the winter (only 2-3 months anyway). Also in the summer it gets really hot but I've large windows I can through open, but will the insulation hold the heat in rather than keep it out.

Undecided
All 'round, ceiling insulation is better than none.

If you are handy, try a reverse loft fan for winter. It moves warm dry air above the ceiling down into the living area. Only need an ordinary ~40W fan and 1m of duct pointing up from ceiling to roof. Can be left on all day or timed. Add a filter if desired.

For still summer nights a normal loft fan can be useful but need to move a lot of air to be much better than open windows and dors.

Old Jul 7th 2003, 11:37 am
Banned

I agree I don't think it has much segregation ,at all (def nothing in roof) and I've been looking at roof insulation (quoted $1400) but will that mean the house dosn't warm up so much in the winter (only 2-3 months anyway). Also in the summer it gets really hot but I've large windows I can through open, but will the insulation hold the heat in rather than keep it out.

Undecided
You are dull , roof insulation is a must keeps heat out in Summer and helps to stop heat going though the roof in Winter.