Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kiwi humourous opinions of NZ regions

Kiwi humourous opinions of NZ regions

Old Oct 13th 2003, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Brummie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kiwi humourous opinions of NZ regions

Just as we have opinions about the regions and towns of the UK, I was wondering what the Kiwis thought of their own areas.

Do they take the mickey out of certain regions like we do over here?

I wont name any examples incase I offend anyone, but you know what I mean!
Old Oct 13th 2003, 12:21 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Kiwi humourous opinions of NZ regions

Originally posted by Brummie
Just as we have opinions about the regions and towns of the UK, I was wondering what the Kiwis thought of their own areas.

Do they take the mickey out of certain regions like we do over here?

I wont name any examples incase I offend anyone, but you know what I mean!
South islanders call it the main land!
Old Oct 13th 2003, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Andiii is an unknown quantity at this point

I think more Australians make fun of NZ than NZ's do. And vice-versa.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 2:02 am
slowly turning kiwi...

flygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

We call the south island the 'mainland' cos its not only the better island (!!!) but it is the biggest of the nz islands.

the only realy regional comments i've heard are that southlanders (very bottom of the south is) are all sheep sh**gers and everyone knows the jafa expression - a jaffa is a little choc orange sweet thing but it also stands for 'just another f**king aucklander as they make up about 1/3 of the population in nz and have a reputation of being a little self important
Old Oct 13th 2003, 2:19 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by flygirl
We call the south island the 'mainland' cos its not only the better island (!!!) but it is the biggest of the nz islands.

the only realy regional comments i've heard are that southlanders (very bottom of the south is) are all sheep sh**gers and everyone knows the jafa expression - a jaffa is a little choc orange sweet thing but it also stands for 'just another f**king aucklander as they make up about 1/3 of the population in nz and have a reputation of being a little self important
I am not sure why Aucklanders find their little town so important. I have always sensed animosity between the townies and country foke in NZ. The townies have thought the country types very backward in their attitude.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

S. Islanders are sometimes rudely called 'pig islanders' (usually by N.Islanders) LOL

as for this whole Jafa thing - just a regional inferiority complex LOL Any Aucklander will tell you that Jafa Really stands for 'Just Another Friendly Aucklander'

Russ
Old Oct 13th 2003, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

Most non-Aucklanders don't seem to have a very high opinion of Aucklanders. The equivalent of the UK North/South divide is probably Auckland/non-Auckland divide!

Ben
www.benz1.com
Old Oct 13th 2003, 8:09 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

You get very little anti-auckland feeling north of Taupo - you don't see it in Hamilton or Tauranga...

The stupid thing is Aucklanders could care less. Most of them are from other parts of the country anyway - and once they get there they realise how petty all the anti-auckland jokes are.

Even my mother (who lives in Dunedin) started accusing Aucklanders of causing last year's power crisis because of all the garden lights that aucklanders have! Obviously the local media had been going on about it. How ridiculous. I don't think aucklanders have the monopoly on garden lights!

I remember that a popular duo of TV presenters took the mickey out of Gore (small town in Southland) by proclaiming it to be the gay capital of NZ - the locals were outraged! Shows what attitudes in small town NZ can be like...
Old Oct 13th 2003, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Sarah2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jandjuk
You get very little anti-auckland feeling north of Taupo - you don't see it in Hamilton or Tauranga...

The stupid thing is Aucklanders could care less. Most of them are from other parts of the country anyway - and once they get there they realise how petty all the anti-auckland jokes are.

Even my mother (who lives in Dunedin) started accusing Aucklanders of causing last year's power crisis because of all the garden lights that aucklanders have! Obviously the local media had been going on about it. How ridiculous. I don't think aucklanders have the monopoly on garden lights!

I remember that a popular duo of TV presenters took the mickey out of Gore (small town in Southland) by proclaiming it to be the gay capital of NZ - the locals were outraged! Shows what attitudes in small town NZ can be like...

And one doesn't choose where they are born and brought up! I love all parts of NZ including Auckland where I am from, wouldn't think twice about where someone else is from.
Old Oct 13th 2003, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Sarah2004
And one doesn't choose where they are born and brought up! I love all parts of NZ including Auckland where I am from, wouldn't think twice about where someone else is from.
I think the problem lies in the fact that many NZers arent born with the humour gene.
They tend to take life a bit too seriously at times...it makes life very dull...

BTW...Political correctness is a way of life...dont DARE wolf whistle or chat up a woman in a bar with jovial banter..... definitely NOT allowed!!

Also please be aware that as a Pakeha, (whitey) you are bottom of the evolutionary scale
Old Oct 13th 2003, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Sarah2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by podgypossum
I think the problem lies in the fact that many NZers arent born with the humour gene.
They tend to take life a bit too seriously at times...it makes life very dull...

BTW...Political correctness is a way of life...dont DARE wolf whistle or chat up a woman in a bar with jovial banter..... definitely NOT allowed!!

Also please be aware that as a Pakeha, (whitey) you are bottom of the evolutionary scale

Well if many NZer's don't have this humour gene I guess you are a kiwi cos you sound like a right barrel of laughs yourself
Old Oct 13th 2003, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Sarah2004
Well if many NZer's don't have this humour gene I guess you are a kiwi cos you sound like a right barrel of laughs yourself

I knew i'd get a bite!!
Old Oct 13th 2003, 12:21 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

NZ humour is very very dry - could easily go over the heads of those brought up on humour so wet you can drink it

NZ humour is probably happening around you all the time - you're just not in on the joke!

You are right about the wolf whistle and jovial banter etc. When I arrived in the UK I was shocked at the level of sexual innuendo and jokes (especially in the media). The UK gets away with jokes on TV which would never wash in NZ - there would be too many complaints. At first I found it quite sexist at first (and I'm male) as the way I was brought up taught me that kind of thing was innappropiate. I'm used to it now though.

Originally posted by podgypossum

Old Oct 13th 2003, 2:03 pm
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jandjuk

You are right about the wolf whistle and jovial banter etc. When I arrived in the UK I was shocked at the level of sexual innuendo and jokes (especially in the media). The UK gets away with jokes on TV which would never wash in NZ - there would be too many complaints. At first I found it quite sexist at first (and I'm male) as the way I was brought up taught me that kind of thing was innappropiate. I'm used to it now though.
Not a bad thing at all really. I mean, I like Carry On movies as much as most people but would admit that they opened up a floodgate of crass sexual innuendo from the likes of Graham Norton et al. 30 years later in this country. I hate to think what will be acceptable in 30 years time with a generation influenced by the brand of humour exercised by Mr Norton. I trust that NZ is just a little more sophisticated.

Rob
Old Oct 13th 2003, 3:07 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

well I must admit I laugh as much as anybody at some of those jokes.... but there does seem to be a tendency towards have pretty women on those celebrity gameshows that are there for little more than a few sexual jokes....

It does seem a little more that women in UK (and Europe in general) like to be 'ladies' a lot more than in NZ. By that I mean many more women enjoy their makeup and girly things, high heels, fake tans and looking pretty etc. NZ women (in general!) tend more towards the natural look, and a more practical approach to dressing (just in case they're called upon to get stuck in!).

I'm not saying UK is more sexist - it's no different really - as women achieve as much if not more than in NZ - it's just that I feel both men and women in the UK like women to be just that - women. In NZ the roles are less defined, IMO.

The number of women at a football match would be a prime example. There are very few male only events in NZ anymore - big sporting events have a much higher proportion of females (and families) than here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.