Kitchen Fitting

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 11:10 am
Just Joined

buggsbunny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kitchen Fitting

We're considering moving to Oz (my wife was born there and applying for a passport, etc). I've been self employed fitting kitchens for a couple of years but dont have formal qualifications in the trade. I completed an engineering apprenticeship when I was younger and am booked on the basic electrics course in March due to the new regs in UK.

What do I need to do the same thing in Oz. Can anyone give me advice?

Thanks
E
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:42 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Kitchen Fitting

Originally Posted by buggsbunny
We're considering moving to Oz (my wife was born there and applying for a passport, etc). I've been self employed fitting kitchens for a couple of years but dont have formal qualifications in the trade. I completed an engineering apprenticeship when I was younger and am booked on the basic electrics course in March due to the new regs in UK.

Thanks
E
Most kitchen installations will require an Eletrician on site to do any electrical fittings where required. And if Gas is involved, then a plumber will also be needed. The kitchen installer will not, legally, be able to do those bits, unless he is a "fully" trained electrician/plumber etc.

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buggsbunny

Thanks
E
Hi E
I found this web link detailing some of the responsibilities etc. and this may be relevant:
Any plumbing, gas fitting or electrical work (including work done on your own home) must be performed by a person holding a worker's registration under the Plumbers, Gas Fitters and Electricians Act 1995. A building work contractor's licence may allow you to contract for this work but you must engage a suitably registered worker to perform it.
The link:
http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/licensing/...ndly=printable

Some more info on plumbing in Wa (not sure about other states as will be different) can be seen here:
http://www.plumbers.wa.gov.au/pdf/plumbers5.pdf

I can't find much on electricty regs but I think as a migrant you would have to undergo an assessment in your nearest city, then the papers take about 6 weeks to come through (I think).

I also believe that you won't find that much on kitchen fitters per se as they are referred to as "cabinet makers". This might help; http://www.myfuture.edu.au/services/...0&ASCO=492211A

ATB
Larissa
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

My sister works as a kitchen designer in Melbourne and sorry, I can't advise you on any qualifications but I can tell you that according to her kitchen fitters earn a fortune
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 4:19 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
kitchen fitters earn a fortune
I'll second that, I know a kitchen fitter here, he earns a packet!
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Dont mean to throw a spanner in the works here with the fortune stuff, but the local guys working for kitchen manufactuers get $600 a week I know because we hear them complaining often enough on site. Perhaps going into your own showroom/business would be a better cash cow.

Whats the pay in UK?
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 4:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by renth
I'll second that, I know a kitchen fitter here, he earns a packet!
I used to do some accounting work for a Kitchen company in Sydney, and the company themselves were making a fortune, so much so that I could get a 75% discount on a kitchen, and they reckoned that they still made a profit !!

Old Feb 5th 2005, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Bump!