Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kirwan High school Townsville

Kirwan High school Townsville

Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

suesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Kirwan High school Townsville

Hi

Does anyone out there have children that attend Kirwan high school. We are moving to Townsville at the end of March beginning of April and have 2 daughters a 15yr and 7yr old. The 15yr old has decided she would like to go to this school and we thought it would be nice if she could chat to pupils who attend this school prior to our departure in order to make the transition period easier for her.

Thanx

Suexx
Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kirwan High school Townsville

Originally Posted by suesk
Hi

Does anyone out there have children that attend Kirwan high school. We are moving to Townsville at the end of March beginning of April and have 2 daughters a 15yr and 7yr old. The 15yr old has decided she would like to go to this school and we thought it would be nice if she could chat to pupils who attend this school prior to our departure in order to make the transition period easier for her.

Thanx

Suexx

Hi Sue

My daughter has just started this school in yr 8 and I have to say, she absolutely loves it.
Her work has improved tenfold since starting there.
You will hear things quite negative about it, i.e its so big, well, it has around 2000 students I believe, which by uk standards isnt that huge.
They look after new students well and I have friends who have had their children there around your 15yr olds age group and they were very pleased.
If you daughter would like to pm mine that would be fine. Mine is 13yrs old in August.
If I can help further, please do not hesitate in contacting me.

All the best

Trish
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

suesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Trish

Thanx for that i will get her to pm her tomorrow as shes in bed now. If its possible could you ask if your friends 15yr olds could chat to her also. Im trying to find as many friends as possible as shes getting very nervous about the big move and leaving all her friends behind. Im hoping that if i can do this it will make her life a little easier as you can understand with already making the big move.

I forgot to ask how many kids are in the classes.

Hopefully we will see you soon

Suexx
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Trish

Thanx for that i will get her to pm her tomorrow as shes in bed now. If its possible could you ask if your friends 15yr olds could chat to her also. Im trying to find as many friends as possible as shes getting very nervous about the big move and leaving all her friends behind. Im hoping that if i can do this it will make her life a little easier as you can understand with already making the big move.

I forgot to ask how many kids are in the classes.

Hopefully we will see you soon

Suexx
Hey Sue,

My friends kids are all in Brisbane now as they were forces people..will ask around though ok.
my daughter has around 23 in her class so not too big, not sure if that is the norm or if they are usually bigger, but it seems to work very well.
Have you been on the website? its www.kirwanhigh.com or you can email the principal who is very good on [email protected]

He can answer lots of questions for you.
When my daughter started the school she was the only one out of about 20 kids from her primary school who wasn't in a class with some of her old pals. Very daunting for a child when they have just gone up to high school. But they were fab and got her a buddy or two and now they are fab friends and she has loads of mates. She meets up at lunchtimes with her old pals too.
They are very good at looking after new people and are very aware of how daunting it is not knowing anyone, they will take good care of your daughter.
Email the principal(John livingstone) and he or his staff will get back to you and allay any fears you may have and will be able to answer any queries you may have too.
If you need any more help just Pm me or email...whichever you want.
Its really no problem

take care

Trish x
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you so much for your time ive just emailed the school so hopefully ill hear something by the morning. Gotta hit the sack been up since 530. Thanx again ill pop bk 2moro and pm my email addy

Suexx
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you so much for your time ive just emailed the school so hopefully ill hear something by the morning. Gotta hit the sack been up since 530. Thanx again ill pop bk 2moro and pm my email addy

Suexx

No worries Sue, I'm sure they will be helpful

Take care and sleep well

Trish
Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

MORCPOM1 has a spectacular aura aboutMORCPOM1 has a spectacular aura aboutMORCPOM1 has a spectacular aura about

Hi Sue,

We are also moving to Townsville sometime in May, fingers crossed. If the house sells in enough time. I am the Aussie and Husband the Brit, have a little girl of 9. Can I ask why you chose Kirwan School. Would like Melissa to go to fairly small school, was wondering if this is the case with this school. Are you renting when you get to Townsville? Just asking as posting with another lady who is already out in Townsville was told rental property is hard to get. How are your girls feeling about the move? Some days Melissa really excited others really upset that she will be leaving her friends. Will have to start a thread for all those moving to Townsville so we can meet up!
Thanks Liz
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MORCPOM1
Hi Sue,

We are also moving to Townsville sometime in May, fingers crossed. If the house sells in enough time. I am the Aussie and Husband the Brit, have a little girl of 9. Can I ask why you chose Kirwan School. Would like Melissa to go to fairly small school, was wondering if this is the case with this school. Are you renting when you get to Townsville? Just asking as posting with another lady who is already out in Townsville was told rental property is hard to get. How are your girls feeling about the move? Some days Melissa really excited others really upset that she will be leaving her friends. Will have to start a thread for all those moving to Townsville so we can meet up!
Thanks Liz
Hi Liz

Know the feeling about the house ours isnt sold yet OH is coming back so hopefully it will sell soon. We chose Kirwan High for our eldest as its close to where we want to be and the curriculum, we havent really looked into schools for the youngest yet as i feel she will settle easier than the oldest, i hope so anyway. Yes we will be renting hopefully in Kirwan or Thuringowa as a friend lives close to the areas. Sophie is excited but very anxious this is one of the reasons for this thread as i need to try and make the transition as easy as possible for her. The youngest started saying she doesnt want to go in the last month or so she says shes gonna miss friends and her nanny to, im hoping that once she realises that she can go out to play more that she will settle fairly quick.

See you in Oz lol. Im up for getting in touch with as many people as possible and up for meeting everyone once we are there and settled a little bit.

Suexx
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Sue,

Thanks Liz

Hi Liz

Kirwan is definitely not a small school, pimlico high school is smaller and has a good reputation also. If you go on www.qld.gov.au you will be able to look up schools and this will give you their website.
I don't think you will have much problem in securing a rental, it depends on whether you want a pool or not, as pools are hard to come by.
Lots of realestates will allow you to have the property before you arrive, as long as you get someone to view for you.
www.ljhooker.com.au are very good aswell as www.century21.com.au if you see something you like on www.realestate.com.au just email the realestate agent and see if they would allow someone to view for you.
I have done this for people before, and as long as you can email or fax them the relevant details they will allow you to secure it before arriving.
We did this when we arrived over 2yrs ago and it alleviated much of the stress.
Take care

Trish
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

MORCPOM1 has a spectacular aura aboutMORCPOM1 has a spectacular aura aboutMORCPOM1 has a spectacular aura about

Hi Trish & Sue,

Thanks for your information was greatly appreciated. Have tried to e-mail some of the schools without success. Because little girl has a special needs statement, we where e-mailed back by lady that deals with special needs. Long and short of it is that she only has 8 hours support a week, which is of any great deal. Attends main stream school over here, and manages quite well. Circumstances have changed since I e-mailed schools last time, but too much to go into over web. Will try e-mailing them again. Will all have to meet up once in Townsville and have BBQ. Trish I see by your address that you already live in Townsville wondered if you could recommend a fairly decent area of Townsville. Not wanting the best area just area that has a good school, shops and good bus route. Was looking at Annadale but price off housing is a little scarey. Really think our 9 year old would benefit from a fairly small school. Would love any advice you could give us. Thanks again
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Trish & Sue,

Thanks for your information was greatly appreciated. Have tried to e-mail some of the schools without success. Because little girl has a special needs statement, we where e-mailed back by lady that deals with special needs. Long and short of it is that she only has 8 hours support a week, which is of any great deal. Attends main stream school over here, and manages quite well. Circumstances have changed since I e-mailed schools last time, but too much to go into over web. Will try e-mailing them again. Will all have to meet up once in Townsville and have BBQ. Trish I see by your address that you already live in Townsville wondered if you could recommend a fairly decent area of Townsville. Not wanting the best area just area that has a good school, shops and good bus route. Was looking at Annadale but price off housing is a little scarey. Really think our 9 year old would benefit from a fairly small school. Would love any advice you could give us. Thanks again
Hey Mate

there are lots of lovely areas in Townsville, I live in Annandale and the school is lovely and not very big.
Belgian gardens is lovely and has a lovely little school too.
Kirwan has many nice areas, we used to live there and loved it. Couldn't give you any info on the primary schools there though.
Cranbrook is lovely and the primary school is fab, my kids have done really well there, its not a huge school and they have an excellent special education unit. Many teachers are trained for teaching Autistic children and spend lots of time learning how to recognize when a child needs extra help.
Personally I cannot fault the school, the headmaster changed recently which was a shame, but the new one seems just as good.
Cranbrook is affordable, close to all amenities and has the primary school plus many excellent high schools close by...plus the lovely Ross River.
There are so many areas that are lovely, seriously just in my opinion of community nursing....areas of Garbutt, Vincent, Railway estate and Heatley have quite alot community houses. There are of course nice areas of these places, but to be honest, you usually find them slammed inbetween the not so good. Of course, this is just my opinion.
Hope this helps

Trish
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Trish,
Many thanks for your information Cranbrook sounds great from you description will have a look at there site tonight. Been clearing out the junk draws today, the amount of s***t that I have collected is unreal. Will be glad to get rid of the old and start from scratch. Made a promise to myself not to keep soooo much junk. Will let you know how I get on with schools thanks again. Liz
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Trish,
Many thanks for your information Cranbrook sounds great from you description will have a look at there site tonight. Been clearing out the junk draws today, the amount of s***t that I have collected is unreal. Will be glad to get rid of the old and start from scratch. Made a promise to myself not to keep soooo much junk. Will let you know how I get on with schools thanks again. Liz

No worries glad to help
Old Feb 28th 2008, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Trish

I had an email back off the head and to be honest all he said was to contact the school when we arrive and speak to the guidance officers and they would give her a buddy when she starts not really helpful unfortunately. Dont know what to do now arghhhhhhhhhhhhh so many things to sort out.

Thanx for the information about the property side of things i may need to pick your brains in the very near future if thats ok

Suexx
Old Mar 1st 2008, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Trish

I had an email back off the head and to be honest all he said was to contact the school when we arrive and speak to the guidance officers and they would give her a buddy when she starts not really helpful unfortunately. Dont know what to do now arghhhhhhhhhhhhh so many things to sort out.

Thanx for the information about the property side of things i may need to pick your brains in the very near future if thats ok

Suexx
Hi Sue

I know its expensive and takes time to work time diff out, but its well worth ringing them. That way you get all your questions answered...I did this when we were planning our move.
I would recommend you call them, just remember we are 10hrs ahead of you.
If you rang at about 10.30-11pm it would be a good time as school is just starting.
No worries at all, you can ask away about properties. I'm happy to help and if I can't find answers for you I will find someone who does know.

Take care and try not to stress too much

Trish

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.