Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

KIndergarten School age and a 457 visa......

KIndergarten School age and a 457 visa......

Old Sep 9th 2007, 1:34 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point
Default KIndergarten School age and a 457 visa......

The school cut off date here in ACT for starting school is to be 4 by the 30 april for starting kindergarten the following year.

My son was 4 in the middle of august. He misses going into kindy by 3 months. Has anyone been in the same boat and successfully got their child into the school programme for that following year even though their birthdy falls short?

I hear children can start school younger than normal if they are highly intelligent or for other specil reasons ie: they cannot be cared for at home etc. We have a problem.......... we don't fall under any of those reasons......

My problem with him not starting school is

a) I think he is ready for the structured environment (he would have been going to school this week in the uk), and pre school just doesn't cut it? for me!

and b)
we have no agenda in Oz, we really like it however you never know, This time next year we could be in the UK and he would never have been to school? and would be expected to go staright into year 1? is there any way that anyone knows of that we can get him enrolled on these grounds?

If I haven't lost you in this I would appreciate some advice.......

Carmel
Old Sep 9th 2007, 2:11 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: KIndergarten School age and a 457 visa......

Originally Posted by carmele
The school cut off date here in ACT for starting school is to be 4 by the 30 april for starting kindergarten the following year.

My son was 4 in the middle of august. He misses going into kindy by 3 months. Has anyone been in the same boat and successfully got their child into the school programme for that following year even though their birthdy falls short?

I hear children can start school younger than normal if they are highly intelligent or for other specil reasons ie: they cannot be cared for at home etc. We have a problem.......... we don't fall under any of those reasons......

a) I think he is ready for the structured environment (he would have been going to school this week in the uk), and pre school just doesn't cut it? for me!

and b)
we have no agenda in Oz, we really like it however you never know, This time next year we could be in the UK and he would never have been to school? and would be expected to go staright into year 1? is there any way that anyone knows of that we can get him enrolled on these grounds?

Carmel
I am not in ACT but in WA. My daughter missed the cut off by 6 days and is currently in Kindy (part time 2 days) here in WA. If we were to return to the UK now she would be in year 1. I tried to get my daughter put up a year and they agree that she is bright enough on an academic level but may not cope on a maturity level and would not budge. Muy eldest daughter started school late in Canada and returned to England half way through year 1 missing an entire school year by English standards. She was a little behind but the teachers dealt with it and within 3 months was exceeding some of the other children. With the benefit of hindsight I stressed about nothing.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 2:52 am

Thanks northenbird,

I wanted to know how long it would take to catch up, I'm just thinking it would be so alien for him if we did return and he had had no formal schooling before, especially because he would effectively leapfrog over reception and go straight into year 1????

Even though he is the youngest in the family, he is the one that is unsettled.

Any one else.......?

Carmel
Old Sep 9th 2007, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

and b)

Carmel
Are you sure you've got that correct. If your son is already 4 then he should start Kindy in Jan/Feb next year. My daughter will not be 4 until next March and she has a place in Kindy for 2008.

I got this online : "Children attend pre-school when they are 4 or turning 4 before 30 April of that year."

Galba
Old Sep 9th 2007, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Remember that some of the other kids that are starting at kindy this year will already be 5 and just a few months off their 6th Birthday.... That would be a big age gap for your son to contend with at 4 and a bit....
I'm a primary teacher and IMHO there are very few kids who dont adapt because they are too old for their year -- but it's often the younger ones (those August birthdays in the UK) who struggle right through until the end of the primary years when the gap seems to get smaller.
With the move back towards a play-based education in the UK your son shouldnt be too disadvantaged if he returns back into Year 1. A good sensitive teacher will be able to integrate him into the class. A good pre-school here should be preparing him for a more formal learning environment anyway... I have issues with the lack of funding for pre-schools out here -- but that's another issue altogether!!!
Old Sep 9th 2007, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I had the same concerns when we first moved here 2 1/2 years ago. My son has turned 5 at the beginning of May this year so just missed the cut-off in Vic by a few days. When we first moved we weren't sure that we would stay and I worried (as you are) about him fitting back into the uk system. We have, however, decided to stay and I'm SOOOO glad that he's not in school yet! He's in 4 year kindy and will start school next Jan. He's not the oldest in his group as lots of parents 'hold back' their children so they are almost 6 before they start school.

Good luck!
Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:04 am

He would start school in oz not feb '08 but feb '09!!!!

It's a huge concern because if we did return to the uk say next september he would go straight into year one!!! He wouldn't have even have started kindy here until the follwing february either! ('09!) and he would be too old for reception by year!

It is a huge concern for me

Carmel
Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:11 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

He would start school in oz not feb '08 but feb '09!!!!

It's a huge concern because if we did return to the uk say next september he would go straight into year one!!! He wouldn't have even have started kindy here until the follwing february either! ('09!) and he would be too old for reception by year!

It is a huge concern for me

Carmel
I can understand that but to be honest as long as he is getting some kind of interaction in a semi-educational area then it will be fine, certainly was for my daughter who was exactly the same age as your son. Her last school report was straight A's (apart from B in Phys Ed ) so although it is easy for me to say, try not to worry. Perhaps look into Montessori or Steiner system which may take him earlier if it is bothering you that much.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:26 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

I don't want to hijack this thread but I thought I understood about kindy etc. in the Australian system. Now I am totally confused about Kindy, pre-school and primary!! Can anyone clarify to me what is what? And is it true that you can stop your kids going to school until they are 7?
Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:35 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
I don't want to hijack this thread but I thought I understood about kindy etc. in the Australian system. Now I am totally confused about Kindy, pre-school and primary!! Can anyone clarify to me what is what? And is it true that you can stop your kids going to school until they are 7?
In WA it goes Kindy (part time), Pre-primary (full time) and then year 1. In WA kids start Kindy in the February of a year if they have turned 4 between July 1st of the previous year and June 30th of the year they start. Every state has different rules.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:38 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernbird
In WA it goes Kindy (part time), Pre-primary (full time) and then year 1. In WA kids start Kindy in the February of a year if they have turned 4 between July 1st of the previous year and June 30th of the year they start. Every state has different rules.

Thanks for the summary. My son was 4 last April so I guess he will be in prescholl next Feb?
Old Sep 9th 2007, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

First off -- A big hug -- it's a very frustrating situation -- but there's nothing you can do about it Carmel! I think it's unlikely you can persuade them to take him early. All you can do is choose his preschool really carefully and try and find one that has a structured school-like programme. Do all the stuff you're probably already doing with him at home with regards to reading and number work. Look on the UK National Curriculum Site for ideas about the sort of things he would be doing in The Foundation Stage had he stayed in the UK, and then if there's achance you do go back you'll have done as much as possible to prepare him. Good Luck
Old Sep 9th 2007, 10:44 am

Thanks Katherine,

I just feel robbed for him if you know what I mean, I take on board ll the comments out him being young etc, he see's his brother going to kindy (october baby!) and even though he is only 4 he is wise and questions why he can't go to school, it hurts as I know he would be in that gorgeous little uniform with a tie like his brother! His brother is a great academically and you know how it is they watch and learn!

But obviously more importantly from the uniform (lol!) he would have a structured, learning day I know he would be capable of doing (even if he would be the youngest in his class in the UK). As people say cut off dates are for a reason, I just feel robbed for him! I'm trying my best to occupy him, he has curious mind and craves interaction with kids his own age, I'm letting him go into daycare for 10hours a week to give him some interaction with kids!! It's so important for them!

It's my opinion but I think pre school and hence school age is a little too late here!

What's the consensus it would be interesting to find out what you think?
Carmel
x
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:15 am
Gutter Gob!!

Thanks Katherine,

I just feel robbed for him if you know what I mean, I take on board ll the comments out him being young etc, he see's his brother going to kindy (october baby!) and even though he is only 4 he is wise and questions why he can't go to school, it hurts as I know he would be in that gorgeous little uniform with a tie like his brother! His brother is a great academically and you know how it is they watch and learn!

But obviously more importantly from the uniform (lol!) he would have a structured, learning day I know he would be capable of doing (even if he would be the youngest in his class in the UK). As people say cut off dates are for a reason, I just feel robbed for him! I'm trying my best to occupy him, he has curious mind and craves interaction with kids his own age, I'm letting him go into daycare for 10hours a week to give him some interaction with kids!! It's so important for them!

It's my opinion but I think pre school and hence school age is a little too late here!

What's the consensus it would be interesting to find out what you think?
Carmel
x
My own view is that they start them too early in the UK, I am much happier with the starting age here (and in US/Canada). We still have a number of kids in my daughters kindy class who are the equivalent of August babies back home and it is very obvious from their behaviour they are struggling with the regime. Like I said earlier there are options such as Montessori and Steiner for you to consider if it is bothering you.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

I think they're only young once! There's plenty of time for schooling - enjoy having him home for another year. I read an article about kids that were 'held back' and started school later - they were all at the same level by grade 3. They'll all learn to read and write - don't stress. IF you decide to move back, then the schools there will support you and your son and help him to settle. It's better here for him to be amongst children of his own age. Surely he can attend 4 year kinder next year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.