Killing snakes?

Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Killing snakes?

Originally Posted by kar-kier
So back to the original question - is it illegal to kills snakes in WA?

Just to set the record straight, I have absolutely no intention of killing a snake - i like snakes!! To be honest, I'm a little disappointed that after a year in WA, I have yet to see one!
It is illegal in WA
Dugites (small snake) are very common around the Secret Harbour beach front .
You ring the .. Department of Environment and Conservation (DEC)
Wildcare Hotline on 9474 9055. They put you in touch with a snake handler.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 3:13 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Where we live most folks living on rural blocks have a snake gun of some description, usually a shortened 410 or 12 gauge. We've had a few eastern browns on the block & have seen two large Red Bellied Blacks just recently, a huge carpet python lives close by as I've also seen it quite a few times.
I tend to steer clear of them if possible and wouldn't subscribe to the wholesale slaughter of every snake that came onto our block, however if as has happened, one came out of hibernation more cranky than normal and bailed up a pet or child it would meet with an unfortunate accident.
Early spring they can be a problem up here and a few dogs have been killed so they tend to get bad press and become top of natures most wanted.
One lady, who's house I was tiling, was telling us how she always kept a snake gun ready. A few days later we were just finishing up the job when her Cattle Dog started barking aggressively. The ladies 4 yr old son was playing out in his sand pit with his Tonka trucks & a Large Eastern Brown had bailed him up. We watched as the snake circled the sand pit & the dog protected the young lad by staying between him & the snake. The Lady calmly walked over waited for the snake to coil ready to strike & gave it one of the barrels, she then reloaded & gave it another. Questioning her for the reload she explained that quite often there were two snakes lurking so you never use both barrels on the one snake.
That reminds me I must post my latest snake encounter
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 3:56 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Hi here is a picture of a tiger snake I came accross while having a walk to the local town.
Gary
Attached Thumbnails Killing snakes?-walk-lilydale-15-02-2010-040a.jpg  
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 5:07 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
You need to move to a more rural area then you'd be far more likely to see lots of horrible creatures.
funnily enough thats completly wrong,
your more likely to see a snake in a built up area than in the bush,
because in the bush there is a limit to the number of rats n mice in a given area so this limits the number of snakes
in a built up area lots of rats n mice so lots more snakes as there is the food to support them

regards steve
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 7:17 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

I prefer the vacum cleaner method of sucking it up the pipe then binging thecend although I have never had the chance to personally test this method it should work.

Originally Posted by DadAgain
About $100 - but the problem is gettign the catcher to show up whilst you see the snake. More likely is the following:

1) See a snake...
2) Run inside grab the phone.. look in the phone book or on www for snake cathcer phone number.
3) Call snake guy and describe snake
4) Walk back to snake last known location and stare at completely snake-free patch of ground
5) Call snake guy and tell him its gone...

REPEAT every few days for a while until:

1) See snake
2) Yell at family to grab phone
3) Hit speed-dial for snake guy whilst keeping eye on snake
4) Snake guy starts to get on his way
5) Pick up handy implement to keep snake in the open and stop it form hiding again before snake guy shows up
6) Hand over the $100 when snake guy comes at laughs at the panic over a harmless friendly serpent.

Old Mar 3rd 2010, 7:30 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by annqldau
I prefer the vacum cleaner method of sucking it up the pipe then binging thecend although I have never had the chance to personally test this method it should work.
U mean 'bunging the end'?
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

We get loads of snakes on our rural block - browns, red-bellied blacks, rough scaled, yellow headed whip snake (all are venomous) and lots of friendly carpet pythons. Unfortunately one or two are killed by the mower every year.

There are 18 different types of snakes in our area and snake catchers are plentiful and free. We're just careful to keep them out of the house by keeping the screens closed and blocking gaps under doors (keeps mice out as well).

I photograph them whenever I can.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 9:56 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steve`o
funnily enough thats completly wrong,
your more likely to see a snake in a built up area than in the bush,
because in the bush there is a limit to the number of rats n mice in a given area so this limits the number of snakes
in a built up area lots of rats n mice so lots more snakes as there is the food to support them

regards steve
That's it, they are OBVIOUSLY hiding when they see me coming!!
Old Mar 8th 2010, 2:46 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
U mean 'bunging the end'?
As long as it's in there doesn't matter if it's binging or bunging.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 4:55 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by annqldau
As long as it's in there doesn't matter if it's binging or bunging.
I wouldn't want to eat it....
Old Mar 9th 2010, 5:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
We get loads of snakes on our rural block - browns, red-bellied blacks, rough scaled, yellow headed whip snake (all are venomous) and lots of friendly carpet pythons. Unfortunately one or two are killed by the mower every year.

There are 18 different types of snakes in our area and snake catchers are plentiful and free. We're just careful to keep them out of the house by keeping the screens closed and blocking gaps under doors (keeps mice out as well).

I photograph them whenever I can.
Don't they knock at the door like other people then? I drove over a 10 foot snake - late at night, no street lights so no idea what it was, anyway got it with all four wheels. Didn't kill it, it had disappeared about 15 minutes later when I had to go out again.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 5:20 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
okaaay...what about the 'agressive snakes' like eastern browns which don't give a monkeys fat clacker if your a mouse or not, it just wants to go for you if you impede on what it perceives as 'its territory' even though it may be your backyard??
I am not for mass cull of snakes, I just hate the bloody things, scared sh!tless of them!!! Didn't even like Slow Worms as a kid!! Ugh!
I think you are referring to the Taipan (inland or coastal). They are the aggressive ones and will pursue you when they are bothered. Browns do not react any differently to any of the other venemous snakes in Aus
Old Mar 9th 2010, 5:48 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cresta57
Where we live most folks living on rural blocks have a snake gun of some description, usually a shortened 410 or 12 gauge. We've had a few eastern browns on the block & have seen two large Red Bellied Blacks just recently, a huge carpet python lives close by as I've also seen it quite a few times.
I tend to steer clear of them if possible and wouldn't subscribe to the wholesale slaughter of every snake that came onto our block, however if as has happened, one came out of hibernation more cranky than normal and bailed up a pet or child it would meet with an unfortunate accident.
Early spring they can be a problem up here and a few dogs have been killed so they tend to get bad press and become top of natures most wanted.
One lady, who's house I was tiling, was telling us how she always kept a snake gun ready. A few days later we were just finishing up the job when her Cattle Dog started barking aggressively. The ladies 4 yr old son was playing out in his sand pit with his Tonka trucks & a Large Eastern Brown had bailed him up. We watched as the snake circled the sand pit & the dog protected the young lad by staying between him & the snake. The Lady calmly walked over waited for the snake to coil ready to strike & gave it one of the barrels, she then reloaded & gave it another. Questioning her for the reload she explained that quite often there were two snakes lurking so you never use both barrels on the one snake.
That reminds me I must post my latest snake encounter
It would probably be hard to get a snake gun with all those tough gun laws these days,Bad luck its not America you can just buy a shogun at the local K-Mart with your groceries. if l lived in a snake infested area l would like one probably a pump action shotgun or a flame thrower
l guess you are allowed to shoot them in self defence if they are about to attack you.

Last edited by mohogony; Mar 9th 2010 at 5:58 am.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 7:44 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I think you are referring to the Taipan (inland or coastal). They are the aggressive ones and will pursue you when they are bothered. Browns do not react any differently to any of the other venemous snakes in Aus
Yes the Taipan the most venomous snake in the world, l think you have around 10 minutes left to live if you get bitten by one of those.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:06 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Yes the Taipan the most venomous snake in the world, l think you have around 10 minutes left to live if you get bitten by one of those.
In theory. As there have been no recorded fatalities in Australia. The Inland Taipan (or Fierce Snake) is the most venemous snake in the world, however there are no recorded deaths from it. I believe there are a couple of theories behind this, one of which being that their natural habitat is so secluded that it is rare for there to be much human interaction. The Coastal Taipan is 3rd on the list and is much more commonly encountered as they are rife in FNQ sugar cane crops. These are just as aggressive, however they are nowhere near as venemous.

I f#$king love snakes! Fascinating things!

Last edited by Broad Shoulders; Mar 9th 2010 at 8:17 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.