Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Killing insects in your home

Killing insects in your home

Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:50 pm
Wannabe Aussie

DiamondGeezer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Killing insects in your home

We've just moved into a house here in Sydney and we have been invaded by tiny ants. Does anyone know how to get rid of them?

They appear to be small enough to get through the tiny gaps between the screen and the window and they are everywhere!

How do I get rid?:curse:
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:55 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Killing insects in your home

Originally Posted by DiamondGeezer
We've just moved into a house here in Sydney and we have been invaded by tiny ants. Does anyone know how to get rid of them?

They appear to be small enough to get through the tiny gaps between the screen and the window and they are everywhere!

You can get bait stations, the ants take the bait and then take it back to the nest and they all die. The only thing is with these are that you have a huge increase in activity of ants for a day or two then they all dissapear. Get yourself to Bunnings, there's loads of ant stuff there.

Oh apparantly there's some natural way with putting garlic in a water spray and something else but I can't remember, maybe google it
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

You can buy allsorts from the supermarkets. I get Baygon. Spray it around the door frames and wherever you think the ants are nesting. Seems to get rid of them for a while.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:08 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Go to a hardward store (Bunnings or simiilar) and buy a hand pump gardne sprayer and some mix up ant killer stuff - you need to get rid of them from around your yard and not just in the house.

Try to find the nest and kill 'em!!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:34 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

You can literally get "RID" which is an anti- ant thing, you put a drop or two where they are and they carry it off back to the nests and kill the rest; allegedly
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:44 am
Just Joined

Hunsletlad will become famous soon enough

In addition to the good advice already posted - don't panic!!

An invasion of the little bastards had got something to do with the weather - rain coming- ants go into "get out of the way"mode. After a few days or weeks they'll all disappear anyway.

Good idea to spray all over the place - I find a nasty-smelling stuff called Crawly Cruncher ( from Coles or Woollies) works quite well.

Les
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:46 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

If you're looking for a natural approach, try peppermint oil. They don't like it apparently.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 5:19 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I took a hammer to a large cockroach the other day, much more environmentally friendly than using a litre of Mortein.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:08 am
Just Joined

Hunsletlad will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jayr
I took a hammer to a large cockroach the other day, much more environmentally friendly than using a litre of Mortein.
I hope the cockroach thanked you for it.

And now for something completely different - I have heard that a cockroach can live through 4 or 5 minutes in a microwave at full blast. Haven't tried it myself, but it sounds like something to attempt late at night when the kids are in bed.

Les
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hunsletlad
I hope the cockroach thanked you for it.

And now for something completely different - I have heard that a cockroach can live through 4 or 5 minutes in a microwave at full blast. Haven't tried it myself, but it sounds like something to attempt late at night when the kids are in bed.

Les
They are the only things that will survive a nuclear holocaust apparently, well them and Will Smith A little microwave's not going to put them off.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:41 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Talc...is a healthy option, they hate the stuff and won't cross it.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:53 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
Now all you have to do is fix the hole in the wall or floor from the hammer.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

gerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to all

microwave sounds like fun!!!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

burtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant futureburtreynoldsisonit has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by moneypen20
They are the only things that will survive a nuclear holocaust apparently, well them and Will Smith A little microwave's not going to put them off.
The Fresh Prince can survive a nuclear holocaust but was sent away from Philly to Bel Air for getting into one little fight in which his mom got scared.

(P.s. How did "Jazz" get to Bel Air?)

When I was a kid, my dad used to boil water and pour it into the ant nest. My magnifying glass technique was slow and burt our house down.